Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited Rubicon (automatic, 18K miles). I kept the 33" tires/wheels from the Jeep I sold, and after installing them I'm finding I need to lift it to get better tire clearance. Driving will be around town with minimal off-road trails; no rock crawling or climbing. Most of the forum info I can find is from years ago, so I'm looking for current suggested manufacturers and methods (body lift or suspension lift).

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
Welcome to ROF and congrats on finding such a low mileage LJ. You will be fine with a ~4" suspension lift for 33" tires. If you wanted to do a tummy tuck for better clearance, then a body lift as well. My previous LJ had a Superlift when I bought it and it performed fine but there's better choices out there. Standby for suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
For what you are talking about, a body lift alone will be pretty close to solving your clearance issues for just around town but you will rub flares if you do anything offroad even minor stuff.

My suggestion for anyone who is looking to do 33's has always been, and will continue to recommend first
Old Man Emu Kit with the heavy load springs.
It is a great kit. Even with the added height, it improves the stock ride significantly.
With a TJ, It was also a good idea to add adjustable upper control arms to adjust the pinion angle of the rear driveshaft
but
On an LJ, due to the added length, that might not be necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
You might also want to check out the Metalcloak 3.5” short arm kit and the Currie 4”.

I have the Currie 4” on my LJ. Like the set up a lot. Uses Johnny Joints on the control arms which really helps when flexing.(even tho you said you aren’t planning on rock crawling, you might).

·
Registered
262 Posts
You could also use RK's 3.5" kit..I've done a few and they work great esp the4 long arm kits.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Registered
129 Posts
On my LJ i have the metalcloak short arms with 2.5” old man emu suspensionlift and a 1.25 body lift. I think its perfect for 33’s. For what its worth i find the heavy load springs too stiff for the street though. My LJ might just not be heavy enough though. I haven't run doors or a roof in years and have a bumper w/o tire carrier (fullsize spare on stock carrier though)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just acquired a 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited Rubicon (automatic, 18K miles). I kept the 33" tires/wheels from the Jeep I sold, and after installing them I'm finding I need to lift it to get better tire clearance. Driving will be around town with minimal off-road trails; no rock crawling or climbing. Most of the forum info I can find is from years ago, so I'm looking for current suggested manufacturers and methods (body lift or suspension lift).
A 2" budget lift is all you need. The tires only take 1" up into the wheel well. The extended bump stops (or bolt a hockey puck through the spring seat) will keep the axle, and tire, from crunching up into the wheel well. A 1-1/4" JKS body lift gives you even more room. Did it twice (2004 TJ Rubi, 2005 LJ Rubi) as I handed the parts down to my wife's jeep.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm have been running a 1.25" JKS body lift with a 3.5" Metal Cloak short arm kit and 33s for four years on my LJR and love it. I actually ran the 33s for a few years with only the body lift.
I just put 35s on it and haven't had any issues at all. It's still a daily driver and weekend wheeler. I couldn't ask for a better setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts