Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You want to be a ham?

You can study for the exam and next month is the national exam week for amateur radio testing.

The last week of September I think?

You have to pass the tests in this order

Technician = Basic radio privledges, (good for offroading)
General = a bit more radio privledges ( good for offroading and talking to other Jeepers around the country )
Extra = more privledges with more operating frequencies to find a "quiet" place to talk.

Morse code is no longer required.

You can buy the books and learn the information and even take practice tests online. When you can score 90% or better every time on the practice tests you are ready to test for real, just find a location near you and go test. its $14 to take the test. You only have to take the test as a technician if you want and stop there and your a ham with basic privledges.

check out these links of the practice tests, these are the actual questions.

http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

http://www.eham.net/exams/

When your getting over 90% all the time on the practice tests, check this link to find where testing is at near you.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

Good luck and catch you on the bands!

Check out these links also

http://www.hello-radio.org/

** made sticky by mrladewig **

·
Registered
364 Posts
JK_Jeep said:
You may get lucky if your call sign has not been re issued. You just have to show them proof like a copy of your old license.

Other wise you may have to re take the test.

look here see if this will help

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/grandfather.html
Thanks!

My old license is still available so here goes!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I went to my first local ham club meeting last night and will test the middle of September. Thanks to the amateur operators here and specifically KA5IR and Geeps for the info, support, and the push needed to get me started.

Hutch

·
Registered
169 Posts
hutchman said:
I went to my first local ham club meeting last night and will test the middle of September. Thanks to the amateur operators here and specifically KA5IVR and Geeps for the info, support, and the push needed to get me started.

Hutch
You're a natural, Hutch! You have time to study for the General too. The VE's will give you the General test after you pass the Tech, and it does not cost any extra. You'll like HF...

KA5IVR

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
KA5IVR said:
You're a natural, Hutch! You have time to study for the General too. The VE's will give you the General test after you pass the Tech, and it does not cost any extra. You'll like HF...

KA5IVR
Don't know about the natural part, but............I started studying for the general today. Should test for both when September rolls around.

Hutch

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
jerdog53 said:
Ok talking about licenses, I once was a Ham and did manage to let my novice class expire so what do I need to do to get recertified and upgrade?
JK_Jeep said:
You may get lucky if your call sign has not been re issued. You just have to show them proof like a copy of your old license.

Unfortunately there is a little more to it. There is a 2 year grace period. Licenses that have been expired for MORE than two years are not eligible for renewal or reinstatement. Got to re-test. If you are within the 2yr. period pm me and I would be glad to help you out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Attempted to take the test, after not reading the book in many many moons I was able to get 57%. Now that code is no longer required I should be able to get my ticket with only the theory. In the past, code would kick my butt like a football and I gave up on getting my ticket. now is a good time to renew my interest but I'm wondering which of the two hobby is the less expensive (Jeep or Ham) :roll:

·
Registered
169 Posts
BlackRubi 05LJ said:
I'm wondering which of the two hobby is the less expensive (Jeep or Ham) :roll:
Neither is cheap, but my Rubicon costs a lot more than my radio equipment. I don't have to put Gas in my radio, buy Insurance, Tags, etc. I still have some of the same equipment that I bought in 1979. I don't have the same Jeep. :)

Seriously, if you budgeted $500, you could get a pretty nice VHF/UHF mobile set up for your Jeep. It is possible to spend as much as the cost of your Jeep or more on Ham Equipment.

·
Registered
364 Posts
mikel said:
jerdog53 said:
Ok talking about licenses, I once was a Ham and did manage to let my novice class expire so what do I need to do to get recertified and upgrade?
JK_Jeep said:

Unfortunately there is a little more to it. There is a 2 year grace period. Licenses that have been expired for MORE than two years are not eligible for renewal or reinstatement. Got to re-test. If you are within the 2yr. period pm me and I would be glad to help you out.
Yah this is the responce to the email I sent to ARRL:

Jerry,
Thank you for your re-interest in the Amateur Radio hobby. Your Novice license has long been expired and cancelled - and is not renewable. Essentially, you will need to start again, however - the trip is much easier this time - most changed is the absence of Morse code as an exam requirement.

The best place to learn about "ham radio", both the adventure, and the NEW license structure is to start at:

http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html

-and-

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/license-requirements.html

After getting your first callsign, you may apply for the very first one - under the vanity callsign process.

Best wishes,

:|

·
Registered
656 Posts
hutchman said:
KA5IVR said:

KA5IVR
Don't know about the natural part, but............I started studying for the general today. Should test for both when September rolls around.

Hutch
This is a good time to see how many of us plan on taking the test as a result of this post, I for one plan on taking the test sometime in Sept. best of luck to those who will be attempting the test in the near future.
BTW, I did looked at a couple of VHF/UHF rigs and fell in love with the Kenwood D700A rig. Cost $489.99 before Tax, this just exhausted my $500.00 budget (KA5IVR) and there is still accessories that is needed ( Antenna, Cable, a good cross needle SWR Meter, etc) Somebody on this forum, a fellow ROFer and soon to be a fellow Ham Op told me that $500.00 should be good for the gear that I'll need, I don't think that a fellow ROFer would lie to me now, would you. :lildevil: :lildevil: :D :D :D :lildevil: :lildevil:

LET SEE HOW MANY MORE ROFers CAN GET THEIR "TICKET" :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I'm still studying......September is getting closer! I am ready for the Technician test, but I am finding that I am studying much harder for the General.

Hutch

·
Registered
656 Posts
hutchman said:
I'm still studying......September is getting closer! I am ready for the Technician test, but I am finding that I am studying much harder for the General.

Hutch
X2 about working up a sweat on the General, however it is still a lot easier than before having to study for CW in the past. Keep studying, look at all that work out we're giving that gray matter between our ears. :D :D :D :lildevil:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I think I might test for Extra in November.......of course this could change after the results of the exam in Sept.!

·
Registered
169 Posts
hutchman said:
I think I might test for Extra in November.......of course this could change after the results of the exam in Sept.!
Hutch, I always tell guys to study the book as follows:

1st read through the questions and look at all of the answers. The Gordon West books explain the answer, so it helps to understand why the right answer is correct.
2nd time through the book, read the questions, highlite the correct answer and ignore the rest.
3rd time through, read the questions and only look at the highlited correct answer.
4th time through, use as a review of the parts you are unsure about, and use the same method as #3 and maybe read the explanation again if you want. Do this right before the test.

Sounds like a lot of reading, but after the first time, it goes fast. I tell guys to do it during their normal reading times like during morning coffee, before bed, or bathroom, whatever you want, but be consistent. By the time you get through that book 4 times, you'll remember the answers or at least enough to pass.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I took the test and passed way back in the 8th grade, god that was like 26 yrs ago!! :eek: I believe it has expired.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts