Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up some parts this week and threw together a couple stands

I got tired of the vise on the corner of my 2x4 table. So found some brakes, plate and pipe. Still need to finish them off, but had other things to do tonight.

6-1/2 vise I have had for quite some time on one stand.
Not sure the total use of the other stand yet. Could be for a new grinder/sander, or may set it up for multi use. I am thinking of making a base for the magdrill so I can use it for other projects.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
Pretty cool, but how stable is it when you are cranking on something?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice...they are usually pretty stable because of the weight, as long as the brake drums (?) are not warped and on a flat surface...I use my vice(s) for a lot of bending and such and put a lot of leverage on them so if you do that on a tall narrow stand there could be stability issues so you would likely be limited to holding stuff and the like...

·
3,792 Posts
Timely topic for me. I am currently building a Fireball DIY 16" vise (DIY Vise Plans), and I will need to build a stand for it once completed. I want a stand that can be moved, yet provide a stable foundation for beating whatever is being held.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drums are typically about 100 lbs a piece. I didn't not weigh them to get an exact weight though. I don't plan on bending 1.5 DOM in the vise, so it should work just fine for holding things and not tipping over. Time will tell. If there is an issue, Ill build something else out of them. Its just flat plate and tube...

I looked around for pre made mounts, it would of cost more and not had as much weight to them to keep them stable. Again, time will tell, but this isn't something I imagined up myself.

I will say, when I had the vise on the corner of my table. I had a hard time keeping the table from moving with the wheels locked. This should be more stable.

Thinking I will drill 5/8" holes in the same pattern as my welding tables on the multipoint table. Then I can build mounts for other things to fit on either table and lock them down.

Not to finish them up over the next couple days.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had some POR15 in silver sitting around. Not the best perfect paint job, but it will do for the time I had today. Still need to lift it up and do the bolts on the drum, just dropped them in place for the photo shoot.

the next one will take some time

·
Registered
94 Posts
That looks really good! How much does the vise weigh?

Reason why I attached a couple vises to my welding table that does not have casters is because I do heavy stuff with the vise and don't want anything moving around...

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure how heavy the vise is, 40-50 I would guess.

On a local group I had had people think its gong to tip over... Not sure I do the same thing with a vise as everyone else. Its more of a third hand for smaller things, than a fabrication tool. I clamp heavy things to my welding table, the vise is used to hold things that don't go directly on the table. It has almost always been in the way on my 2x4 table. I have 3 2x4 tables and put them together to form a larger table, then the vise was really in the way.
Below is a pic of modifying the transmission mount with the vise in the background. Then another making a welding cart.

for fun, I took a piece of 8 foot 1/2" .120 wall tube and clamped it in the vise. If I had a lever I could move the world...Sure I could tip it over if I tried, but this is not the use case for me. I would clamp that piece to the welding table.

To me, at the end of the day, this will be better than on the welding table. Its better than the vise stands I found on line for more money than what I spent on this and will be easier to move around. The on line ones would be real top heavy as the bases were basically stamped steel or a tube with a plate.

If it does not work, Ill modify again. I can always add tripod legs to it if needed, but thinking that would get in the way.

To me the downfall of this base is the Jaw opening is not clear to the floor. I could not clamp that 8 foot tube vertically from the floor up. It would need to set on the base then up. Again, I don't see me using it that way, I can do that to my welding table. I can clamp to the side of it and hold things vertically there better than I would with a vise.

I must use tools differently than others. Any way, it was fun to make and ill figure out the multiuser base in teh next couple weeks.

·
3,792 Posts
Looks good. I like your fixture table(s). I only have one and need some better clamps, something along the lines of what you have.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good. I like your fixture table(s). I only have one and need some better clamps, something along the lines of what you have.
thanks, they do many working in things much better than trying to do things on the floor. Not sure I like the price of them now, but years ago when I bought them they seemed expensive, but still reasonable. I remember people thinking I was crazy buying them.

I guess I should do a what tools are in your garage thread, could be fun. Or just cause all of us to go spend some cash.

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
A thread for tools in the garage is a great idea!

Reactions: Norminator

·
Registered
94 Posts
thanks, they do many working in things much better than trying to do things on the floor. Not sure I like the price of them now, but years ago when I bought them they seemed expensive, but still reasonable. I remember people thinking I was crazy buying them.

I guess I should do a what tools are in your garage thread, could be fun. Or just cause all of us to go spend some cash.
I like the way you have everything set up...obviously a lot to do with experience, heck, tools are made to be used in all kinds of ways, very much an individual experience and that tube hanging out of the vice isn't going anywhere! I'll send out some pics of how mine is set up in a day or 2.

·
3,792 Posts
Very nice. Looks good for plasma too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts