Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know alot of people have asked this, but hear is my case. I have 2003 Rubicon with a 4-speed auto and a 4 1/2' Rubicon epress super flex lift kit. I installed a Tom Wood c-v driveshaft and set the driveshaft angle to 18 degrees, pinion set at 17 degees with the upper control arms. I checked the rear end off set under the body and it is 3/4" over to passenger side and at this time I don't have a adjustable track bar. But the problem is at 45-53 mph uder little power it a slight vibration or a harmonic type vibration. Lift off the gas and it smooths out. I have tried more and less pinion angle and right now this is the best its been. Has anyone ran in to this before and what fix helped. I love the jeep , but this is driving me nuts. Thank's :mad:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Change out the tranny skid with a Medic Fab one and the harmonic symptoms will go away. I know that is more $$ but that seems to be the fix for this problem. It appears that the stock skid is too thin and not stable enough to damper the vibes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an auto and a RE 4.5 lift and the same vibe your talking about.Does yours go away if you turn OD off? Mine does instantly.
I have tried everything ,but the medic skid.I don't want to shovel out a bunch of money for a possible fix.If I KNEW it would work I'd have ordered one already.I have also heard you have to have a body lift for the Medic Fab skid and I'm not willing to do that.

If you get a fix let me know.I've been on the phonw with Tom Woods all week and even he's all out of ideas.

Daaron

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I have the vibration and Medics skid. It is no better or worse than before the skid. Mine isn't set to any speed but does get worse as I increase speed. Also it pulses. Probably in 2 second increments. Stars light then increases in intensity, then goes away. Only happens under throttle. Goes away if I lift off of the gas.

Brian

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is a update on the problem. Now my springs are still brand new and that's why I'm not readly to try the skid yet. But I have loosen the stock skid and trans mount and shifted it to the right as the rear axle is more to the right 3/4". The vib problem has gottin better about 60% if not alittle more. I think I might wait for afew weeks and 4-wheel it to let the spring settel in first before I do any thing else. But my next step is to try a adjustable rear track bar to get the rear end were it's should be. I'll you updated. Thank's for the feedbacks. :mad:

John

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
nsane said:
...But my next step is to try a adjustable rear track bar to get the rear end were it's should be. I'll you updated. Thank's for the feedbacks. :mad:

John
You should install the adjustable track bar ASAP. The vibes you are feeling are due to the horizontal misalinment of your DS and pinion. Center your axle and you should be in good shape.

Jerry

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank's Jerry that's what I was thinking too. So now I have to think, Kids shoes or track bar. O'well its still warm out so I think I'll order the track bar some time this week. Thank's again John :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
nsane said:
Thank's Jerry that's what I was thinking too. So now I have to think, Kids shoes or track bar. O'well its still warm out so I think I'll order the track bar some time this week. Thank's again John :roll:
John:

You're exhibiting excellent parenting skils here. Your children will learn about the proper care of machinery, as well as an appreciation of not wasting money on frivolous items like shoes.

I foresee great things from these young ones as they mature and continue to learn from their wise father...

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
JerryC said:
nsane said:
John:

You're exhibiting excellent parenting skils here. Your children will learn about the proper care of machinery, as well as an appreciation of not wasting money on frivolous items like shoes.

I foresee great things from these young ones as they mature and continue to learn from their wise father...

Jerry
:lolbonk:

G

·
0 Posts
Hmm shoes -vs- running rock crawler......

Your logic is way sound, and the sonner you get your kids knowledgable on modify'n Jeeps, the sooner you can put them to work on your rig!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I ordered a new rear adjustable track bar and the re1602 track bracket today. Hopimg it shows up before Friday. If so I'll let my 11 year old son earn some shoes by helping as he is a jr :twisted: . As my wife calls him my mini-me. Hoping this takes care of all the vibes and gets the axle were it should be, In the center.

John

G

·
0 Posts
I just got bit by some way over confident custom DS shops...

I won't have my shaft til Thursday.

Right now my Rubi is all dressed up and no way to go... lol

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
John:

Put it in 4HI and run around with front wheel drive.

Jerry

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well a update I put in the new rear track bar bracket {re1062} and adjustable track bar {re1620}. I adjusted it so the rear end is centered and off on a test drive. Well I have to say it's atleast 90% better :p , I think I have to fine tune the pinon angles. I have to cut my front skid plate for the trans, Now the rear end is moving right it's lets the front end move too. Not a big deal after everything I've been threw. I did have to bend the gas tank shield as it hit the new track bar a very little.So for tomorrow fix the front skid shield, adjust pinon angles, grease all the control arms, and take it for a long test drive. I'll let you all know how it turns out or if I have a lifted Rubicon for sale. :?

John

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
nsane said:
Well a update I put in the new rear track bar bracket {re1062} and adjustable track bar {re1620}. I adjusted it so the rear end is centered and off on a test drive. Well I have to say it's atleast 90% better :p , I think I have to fine tune the pinon angles. I have to cut my front skid plate for the trans, Now the rear end is moving right it's lets the front end move too. Not a big deal after everything I've been threw. I did have to bend the gas tank shield as it hit the new track bar a very little.So for tomorrow fix the front skid shield, adjust pinon angles, grease all the control arms, and take it for a long test drive. I'll let you all know how it turns out or if I have a lifted Rubicon for sale. :?

John
John,
for sale....NOT!
vibes are temp....keep after them sooner or later you will get em.
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Gosh don't sell, I am higher than you are with the same kit, and mine is running great!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got everthing done today and most of the vib is gone. But new problem driver side rear lower control arm is now hit and rubbing the front frame mount. I looked at it and the bushing has shifted over. This thing is really starting to get to me. O'well jeep and kids are both driving me crazy tonight. :mad:

John

·
Registered
184 Posts
RE lift

Hi,

I just happen to be the FNG on this site looking for things to help my RE lift which I plan to install myself go smoother. It is not very comforting to see that a few more experienced people than I, are having problems. It is comforting to see that ther are people willing to lend a hand. So far I have learned that the instructions are weak at best and I heard rumor of websites with explainations and pictures :shock: Please send me links or addresses of these sites if you know of them.
I think I want to order my RE 4" kit from tjoutfitters for about 16hundred and change. AiRock wants 25hundred for what appears to be the same kit.
The parts list I down loaded includes front and rear adjustable tract bars and I was surprised to learn some have to buy them extra. I ordered my AiRock on my birthday cuz nobody else would :roll:
So like any info on this subject would be appreciated. The Rubicon is my first Jeep and I have never preformed any lift other than replaceing everything that sopports the body of a 65 Mustang.
One day maybe I can get my photo up for you all to see! :D

Powell

G

·
0 Posts
Your doing the AirRock system? Totally awesome...

I just got my RE 4.5" SF SA kit on. So far I am totally in love with it.

So yours will be an LA AirRock?? Saawwweeet.......

The kit went on fairly well, I am no mechanic at all, but a Pro really held my hand through it all.

$1600 Seems cheap if it includes the Air Rock Stuff.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts