Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perusing the various mags I get in the mail, I was wondering about some of the more gimmicky looking products and wondering if anyone's used them and their pros/cons associated.

Throttle body spacers. Are these worth the price if this is all you plan on adding to a stock setup?

Exhaust insulating wrap ( by Coll-It Thermo-TEC). I am not a hot rod groupie, so i've never heard or seen this stuff before.

Propeller hitch decorations. Do they really make you go faster? :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Exhaust wrap by thermo-tech should only be used on race cars. But it works!! It keeps most of the heat inside the header/ exhaust making it more efficient. kinda like a poor mans ceramic coating but unlike ceramic coatings that prolong the life of your headers or exhaust thermo-tech wrap causes your headers to rot. I'm not sure if it is the heat build up or if it retains water when wet or what but serveral header makers void the warranty if you use header wrap.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
The header wrap stuff is kind of interesting. Bringing the temperatures under the hood down is certainly beneficial, especially when the engine draws its air from under the hood. Remember the headers are often glowing at full tilt. It is also true that the gas loses velocity when it cools down. Reducing the heat loss in the first part of the exhaust system essentially makes the exhaust appear 'shorter' as the average gas velocity is higher. This typically results in top end gain. However a perfectly tuned exhaust system would actually suffer from the header wrap. Also if you muck with the resonant system on the exhaust side youi'll need to adjust the intake too. And yes, the header suffer from oxidation at too high temperatures.

I'd stay away from it....

C>

G

·
0 Posts
The propeller hitch cover really does improve the top end velocity of the vehicle.
By providing turbulance in the air flow under the vehicle and up into the vacume behind the vehicle it reduces the overall drag. This is most noticable at speeds over 200mph. It's rumored that Craig Breedlove used one on the Spirit of America when he made his record setting run :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Agree withe the above re: ceramic coating or wrapping the exhaust. We did it mostly to keep the exhaust from cooking the carb/intake manifold and screwing with mixture -- cool air in is more power. I wouldn't bother on a street vehicle; you wouldn't notice the gain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts