Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new Borgeson upper shaft on my rubi. Steering felt a little sloppy before the install so I wanted to try replacing it. I wanted to do a write up on it since I couldn't find anything in the service manual on doing so. Remember this is for the upper shaft.

Start by getting some hand tools ready.

1.) 5/32" (pretty sure) allen wrench.
2.) 1/2" socket, I used deep well 6pt.
3.) 3/8" drive ratchet
4.) 3/8" extensions, i used 3 different lengths 3", 6" and 12", used the 3 and 6 together inside and all of them together under the hood.

OPTIONAL (the path I took) reused the stock seal instead of the one that came with.
5.) side cutters or "dykes" or diagonal cutters
6.) angle grinder with cutoff wheel, (safety glasses)
7.) flat screwdriver

First step is to start your jeep up and get the wheels straight. This will place the bolts you have to get to, accessible and facing you. Next, Take your seatbelt and wrap it through your steering wheel. I did this as a precaution to keep the wheel from accidently getting turned.

Next we have to remove the old shaft. There are two bolts to remove (1/2"), metric is stamped on it so I actually think it is 13mm but 1/2" works great too. One under the hood that connects the upper and lower shafts. And the other is under the dash that connects the upper shaft to the steering wheel. Remove them both completely, you won't be reusing them.

Under the hood. Use all your extensions together or if you have a bigger one.

Under the dash (sorry a little blurry, camera isn't too good up close)

The next thing is to push the stock firewall seal back in towards the cab. There are four tabs that secure the seal to the firewall. Just push them in a little I was able to work on two and once you get those out the other two undo themselves. You will see what I mean. I reused my stock seal, it slides onto the borgeson shaft.

Pic of seal removed from stock shaft. Just to show you the tabs.

Next, just push the shaft,from under the hood, like you were pushing the shaft back through the firewall it should collapse some, remember it is a telescoping shaft so it is ok. Should look like this.

Slide the old shaft out and take it over to where you can safely use your angle grinder. Use your diagonal cutter to cut the zip tie that is around the rubber seal that is on the telescoping part of the stock shaft. Then stick a flat screwdriver under the seal and pry it off the telescoping part. Then cut the smaller of the two shafts to remove the old stock seal.

Next remove the one end of the borgeson shaft. The steering wheel end. use your 1/2" socket to loosen the nuts around the allen screws then loosen the allen set screws themselves. Slide the end off and slide the stock seal onto the borgeson shaft untill it cannot slide any further. Make sure it is on the right direction to push back through the firewall. Like this.

Make sure you put the end back on and re-tighten the set screws and nuts around them. I made sure they were snugged down good on the shaft. Double check to make sure all the set screws and nuts surrounding them are tight and secure. Might not be a bad idea to add some loc-tite to them. I did'nt. Didn't think to till after.

Installation is opposite of removal. Probably be a good time to telescope the new shaft out some. Slide the shaft in from the cab, under the dash, (so the rubber seal just pushes in) slide it on to the lower shaft. Make sure the allen screws can be accessed when you slide the shaft on. Make sure you are on the shaft all the way and the set screws have something (shaft) to "bite" down on. Tightening these down was a little more difficult since there are two parts to tightening them down. But still pretty easy to do. The one under the hood, I had to turn the wheel a little so it pointed up after I had the other 3 tightened and locked down. No problems though.

The last step is to just push the firewall seal back in its home. It is a little stretch but it does work. I reused my stock one because the one that came with the borgeson you have to drill 4 self tapping screws into the jeep. I wanted to see if I could reuse the stock one and it worked.

Side by side of the stock and borgeson.

Double check to make sure all connections are tight and secure. That's it! Took me 2 1/2 hours to do it but I was taking mental notes and pictures. So it could be resonably be done in 30 to 40 minutes.

First drive, seemed to be a tighter and better overall feel to the steering. The stock setup I felt had too much play in it. I could feel a tiny slop in the stock shaft when I had it off the jeep. The borgeson I could feel none. So if your steering is a little sloppy maybe you want to look into replacing your steering shafts. That was my problem.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Yes, thanks! My steering shaft's been sloppy for awhile now and I've been putting this off.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I needed to contribute! :)

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Very nice writeup! Borgeson makes very nice shafts. I've put a lot of them in Chev trucks, eliminating the rag joint there, which is nice. They're spendy, but well worth it in my opinion. Nice job!!!

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes well made indeed. I tried to put a bunch of pics in there for the pic-whores! :cheesy:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gregert12 said:
nice writeup. what made you decide to change the steering shaft and not the steering box or tie rod ends?
TREs are Currie HD steering setup. I just thought that the steep angle on the shaft caused premature wear on it and the fatter tires and the way it felt when I drove the jeep. Played percentages. :)

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
spun180 said:
gregert12 said:
nice writeup. what made you decide to change the steering shaft and not the steering box or tie rod ends?
TREs are Currie HD steering setup. I just thought that the steep angle on the shaft caused premature wear on it and the fatter tires and the way it felt when I drove the jeep. Played percentages. :)

Thanks.

Are you also running a bodylift?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Are you running the MORE spacer block on the steering shaft mount located inside the driver's side fender? If not, you might consider it - they'll sell it for about $15 and it spaces the mount up an inch to match the body lift and decrease the operating angle on that joint.

Thanks for the writeup, the stock shaft is pretty sloppy right from the factory and the Borgeson is definitely a great idea.

edit - what's the stock u-joint made of? It looks like it's some sort of plastic resin, is it??!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CRJeepin said:
Are you running the MORE spacer block on the steering shaft mount located inside the driver's side fender? If not, you might consider it - they'll sell it for about $15 and it spaces the mount up an inch to match the body lift and decrease the operating angle on that joint.

Thanks for the writeup, the stock shaft is pretty sloppy right from the factory and the Borgeson is definitely a great idea.

edit - what's the stock u-joint made of? It looks like it's some sort of plastic resin, is it??!
No I am not running that spacer but it is a great idea! The borgeson shaft is good for up to 3" BL so if I get around to doing the lower sometime I will throw that spacer in. Not sure of the make up of the u-joint, after I cut it I threw it in the garbage. This mod was one of my favorite mods! It makes me want to drive the jeep now. Thanks and good post.

·
Registered
800 Posts
CRJeepin said:

I understand that Jeep actually upgraded the shafts compared to early TJs, but I can't verify it. My stock shafts ended up being tight after a very many DW episodes. I do have more confidence in the Borgeson shafts though. Their shaft did tighten up the steering of an '85 Ramcharger I had many yeaers ago.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I went to the dealer like about 6 months ago, they said that the intermediate shaft on the steering shaft was worn because of the body lift! I run a JKS 1.25" and now I'm planning on getting rid of the play in the steering wheel! Thanks for the writeup! By the way the iPod intergrated kit you sold me is still going strong!
Rk. 45

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for posting this (albeit some time ago). I started looking for info on the Borgeson shafts because I have audible "clunks" in the steering shafts (under the dash and out near the steering box). The "bearing" support on the frame for the horizontal shaft also has play in it. I will probably wind up replacing both the upper and lower shafts.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
How much did it cost?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts