Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When putting in the new woody (Tom Woods) drive shaft what are the best upper rear control arms to get to set pinion angles. I am assuming only rear uppers are needed. My kit contains four lowers so I will need the rear uppers right? What brands are you all running or do you reccommend?? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I agree.... Lot's of range, over 3" of adjustment, and 18 tpi resolution for dialing in the optimum angle. Well worth the money and very well made.

Ken

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have heard lots of good things about the JKS for adjustments but I don't know much about joint quality....Maybe someone could expand on it.

I like the RE one. I get .5 Deg every half turn and I can get if very close. The joints are strong and easy to replace when needed.

Sean

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I have RE uppers and lowers. I think they are great. They flex smoothly and I haven't noticed any degradation in ride quality. You may also need the #1602 track arm relocation bracket. When you move the pinion angle up the traack bar can twist and bind a little, and also bang into your gas tank skid. You may also need shock mount relocators to get the shocks out where they won't interfere with the spring perches.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I have JKS upper and lower control arms and they are made very well. They don't appear to be grease hogs, though I have been very careful not to over fill and blow the seals. The range and resolution of length adjustment is awsome - no problems dialing out vibrations.

The stock bushing concept works very well and provides a very stable highway and around town ride as well as being very quiet. I mated the CA's with 3" BDS coils and Rancho RS9000X shocks and the ride is incredible compared to stock. I am very pleased.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I am in the same situation.
Are the JKS better than the RE? I have the RE lift and would like to stay with the same brand, but if the JKS are really better I will go that route.

Thanx,
Brian

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Tigger said:
I am in the same situation.
Are the JKS better than the RE? I have the RE lift and would like to stay with the same brand, but if the JKS are really better I will go that route.

Thanx,
Brian
Brian...If you got RE stay with it. There is no reason to swap out for JKS. RE are perfect and save the $$ for something else fun that will make this "Mental Illness" better.

Sean

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Brian, better is a relative term and really depends on what your requirements are.

For me, JKS is better because I run in a muddy environment more than in rocks and flexing isn't nearly as important as a quiet, stable and reliable ride.

I'm sure the JKS CA's don't flex as well as the RE or Currie arms, and I considered both and actually almost ordered the Currie, but I had concerns with joint failures due to exposure to mud and my inability to keep the joints clean all the time - mud sucks.

The JKS CA's pivot in the middle, and flex pretty well, and offer better protection to mud - in my opinion.

I agree with Sean and would stick with RE if you are happy with them - there is no reason to get rid of perfectly good CA's if they are working fine.

Good luck and have fun.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I guess I should clarify. I still have stock rear upper control arms. I just ordered a new Tom Woods shaft and will probably need to get a set of adjustable uppers. So I can go either way onthe new ones.

Brian

·
Registered
467 Posts
ya know, this thread makes me wonder how many years jeepers have tried to answer the question "who makes the best arms?" it is like the meaning of life...everyone has a different answer and we will never know for sure.

MH <------- just ordered 8 RE arms and an adjustable front track bar and is hoping for the best!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
ya know, this thread makes me wonder how many years jeepers have tried to answer the question "who makes the best arms?" it is like the meaning of life...everyone has a different answer and we will never know for sure.

MH <------- just ordered 8 RE arms and an adjustable front track bar and is hoping for the best!

mike....
your right..Jeep`s take on a meaning of life...kinda thing.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Tigger said:
I guess I should clarify. I still have stock rear upper control arms. I just ordered a new Tom Woods shaft and will probably need to get a set of adjustable uppers. So I can go either way onthe new ones.

Brian
Hey Brian..if you are ordering new arms (which you will for a CV) then get what you feel is best. Everyone here has there favorites and that is not nessecerly the right or wrong answer but what I can tell you that if you go with JKS or RE you have gotten the best. That I can't argue with..

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
LILRDJP said:
Tigger said:

Brian
Hey Brian..if you are ordering new arms (which you will for a CV) then get what you feel is best. Everyone here has there favorites and that is not nessecerly the right or wrong answer but what I can tell you that if you go with JKS or RE you have gotten the best. That I can't argue with..

Sean
Thanx for the help Guys,

I ordered the RE last night. Got them for $170 shipped so that's not too bad.

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts