Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmmmm, Just picked up my frst JP mag and was going through it and found a little article about using the" Lockers in all ranges of the T-case and without defeating the 10mph safety limit. " :roll: It would be nice to have lockers in while in 4hi but then maybe I'm jumping the gun on this. I just thought I would try and get a lil bit of input on the good things and bad. They do have some of the bad things listed but who knows if that's all??? I can post the article too if enough peeps want more info about it.

-Mo

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Rubicon it said:
Hmmmmmmm, Just picked up my frst JP mag and was going through it and found a little article about using the" Lockers in all ranges of the T-case and without defeating the 10mph safety limit. " :roll: It would be nice to have lockers in while in 4hi but then maybe I'm jumping the gun on this. I just thought I would try and get a lil bit of input on the good things and bad. They do have some of the bad things listed but who knows if that's all??? I can post the article too if enough peeps want more info about it.

-Mo
little history...Gritz
one of our members came up with that design.
:wink:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking and haven't seen anything on it here so i thought i would try it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have mine spliced without defeating the speed limit in 2hi and 4hi.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I perform the "override" I am going to do it so that I can use it at any speed and any Tcase setting. Since Rubi will be traveling in sand, I want to have the lockers over 10mph.

I will be mounting a double pole sigle throw switch on the bottom side of the flat space where the Airbag Shuttoff goes on the SE. That way, it won't be obvious and also minimized the risk of accidently activating it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Rubicon it....I have mixed feeling about this mod but after talking more with JP people..namely Jeep Jamboree executives I think that I will also be doing this mod. It is nice to have the lockers engaged when it come to snow and sand and anything else that you may need 4 HI for.

The one thing that is very important in my opinion is that you do have a safety switch to activate this modification. And if you are going to do this make sure that when you are in the deep sand or snow for my northern friends that you are not romping on the gas and cranking the wheels. Doing this you will break stuff. There has been many stories about the front axle breaking when the rubi first came out but if you read the whole story it is due to inexperience driving habits or bad judgement calls when using this mod or even when using the front locker period.

JMO..

Sean

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Ok, first let me point out that the speed limit for 2hi and 4hi merely prevent the locker from engageing above that speed and does not impede it from remaining locked above that speed. people think as soon as you go over 10mph it unlocks which isn't the case.

Second, mis-use of a front locker leading to breakage is not isolated to the Rubi. Proper care is always a must when using a front locker regardless of the vehicle. The people that broke front axles were using a heavy right foot and turning sharply which will break even the badest of axles.

G

·
0 Posts
With this mod as it currently is being done, do the lockers operate normally, i.e., only in low range below 10 mph, when the switch is off?

I think it would be smart to use a relay as the safety switch. It can be wired so that a momentary switch activates it and the ignition deactivates it automatically when switched off. Your locker safety defeat switch would only work when the relay is activated. Or, possibly, there would not be a need for a safety switch if the system were automatically reset by the ignition?

Dan

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
RubiDan said:
With this mod as it currently is being done, do the lockers operate normally, i.e., only in low range below 10 mph, when the switch is off?
Dan
Yes that is correct...Let you have the option...When the switch is on it is grounded and will work in 4HI ect...when it is off it is off...

G

·
0 Posts
I did my mod months ago, and haven't used it yet other than testing. I do like having the option of being able to engage it in 4hi though. The mod is easy.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Any concerns or advice regarding the use of a relay that I suggested earlier?

Thanx,

Dan

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
RubiDan said:

Thanx,

Dan
The ignition reset is a good sounding idea but I perfer to be the one in control of the switch..plus evertime you are on the trail you would have to reset the lockers if I understand you correctly when you restart the JP.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it all comes down to this, Do the mod. but use common sense as one should use. I know it's up to each of us to do what they want to as far as mods go. You all know there are some that think after the horse instead of before the horseI am one that thinks before the horse. I do appreciate all the feedback on the subject it is very helpfull to me.

Thank you all- mo

·
Registered
326 Posts
LILRDJP said:
RubiDan said:

Thanx,

Dan
The ignition reset is a good sounding idea but I perfer to be the one in control of the switch..plus evertime you are on the trail you would have to reset the lockers if I understand you correctly when you restart the JP.
But the lockers turn off when you turn the Jeep off anyway, right? So no big deal to flip the extra switch again. I like the idea. Just run a light off the relay as well to confirm that the locker mod is active.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mud Puppy said:
But the lockers turn off when you turn the Jeep off anyway, right?
Ummm... Mine don't. When I turn off the JP the Locker lights stay on showing that I am engaged still and remain engaged until I flip the switch.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Turning off the jeep turns off the locker compressor. when you restart the jeep the compressor will not turn back on unless you hit the switch again. The dash light is illuminated by the physical motion/position of the locker. Without the presence of air pressure the locker will disengageif its given slack such as rolling backward a little.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I wrote the article. I just want to point out some points.

1. The lockers will not engage at speeds over 10 mph, from the factory or by adding in the modification as instructed.

2. The lockers wil disengage at speeds above 40-45 mph by the factory settings. If you do the modification as described; with the switch "ON", the lockers will stay locked above speeds of 40-45 mph.

3. If you turn off the ignition and your lockers are engaged, they stay engaged, the modification does not change this.

4. I have used the modification without any problems or breakage, it is great to be able to use the rear locker engaged in 2wd hi, when others I was wheeling with were having to go into 4wd, the Rubi went through in 2wd.

5. The weak point is going to be in the front axle. As with any 4 wheeling, wheel spin is going to cause the most breakage, if you are in Low Range or High Range.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Lothos said:
Turning off the jeep turns off the locker compressor. when you restart the jeep the compressor will not turn back on unless you hit the switch again. The dash light is illuminated by the physical motion/position of the locker. Without the presence of air pressure the locker will disengageif its given slack such as rolling backward a little.
I am not flaming you here but I believe that is wrong. I have turned my JP off many times with the lockers engaged and they did not disengage when I turned off the ignition. When I turn off the JP and even take the key out the ignition the locker lights on the dash remain on. When I restart the JP (even after 30+min) my lockers are still engaged and I do NOT have hit the switch again.

Lets have a study here as I can only speak for my JP. Could a few of you lock up your Rubi and then turn off the ignition and report back what happens. Let us know whether or not you lockers stayed engaged or did disengage and you were required to hit the switch again.

Lothos this is not to prove you wrong Hell I could be wrong,but I am curious as to see what the general action is with these lockers as mine stayed engaged.

Cheers

Sean

1 - 20 of 40 Posts