Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this posted once a while back and its been in the back of my mind (I just keep on waiting for that money tree to bloom). It consisted of a number of undercarriage cameras (I recall they were small and cheap and waterproof) that went to a flat panel monitor (7" I think) just above the rear view mirror. Definately a techno-gadget but it coule be very usefull for "self-spotting". Has anyone done this?

G

·
0 Posts
That was Rubicon D on JU that did that, hes also on http://www.gljt.org

I have considered doing something liek this, BUT if I do it, I will go all out.

PLan on using a mini ITX motherboard, and a video capture card. Then you could play DVD's, have GPS, listen to all your MP3's, and even have internet if so desired. If I had a shitload of money I woudl love to get a 7" VGA monitor from http://www.g-net.com they have touchscreen models available, so no need for mouse or keyboard...and resolution would be way better.

I have thought about it alot, and I think it woudl come in handy and be cool for security as well, you coudl set it up to record onto the HD while its unattended. ...

What I want to do, is get a second golve box...mount the whoel shebang in there, minus the monitor...that way it can be completely removed in seconds if need be. Then the disc trays, etc would be flush mounted into the face of the glove box...so all your drives, etc woudl be right there.

In order to do it up right , it woudl be some serious coin.

·
Registered
561 Posts
oops must not have been logged in when i posted that:D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anonymous said:
What I want to do, is get a second golve box...mount the whoel shebang in there, minus the monitor...that way it can be completely removed in seconds if need be. Then the disc trays, etc would be flush mounted into the face of the glove box...so all your drives, etc woudl be right there.

In order to do it up right , it woudl be some serious coin.
I like the switchable glove box idea! Didn't Rubicon D say he bought most of the stuff off eBay for not too much coin? ....I think that did include a 7" monitor too (don't know about the touchy one though). I did a search for "lip stick" cameras and didn't come up with much...what are the official term for those cameras and where does someone get 'em for cheap (the water resistant ones)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts