Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to rock-crawling, so please forgive what may be a stupid question.
The underside of my stock Rubicon is bashed , after a day at Paragon.
The ends of 1 lower control arm are bent; although, I pretty much bent it back into shape and the ride seems fine.
The paint has been scraped-off the skids and many other places and now those places are coated with surface rust.
Obviously, I'm installing armor before my next trail-ride. In the meantime, do I need to repaint the scrapes? If not, am I shortening the life of my Jeep?
TIA

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Not a stupid question at all... its a very good question. I am sure you will get many opinions but here is mine.

I think you would be OK to allow the scrapes to go until you change to different armor... that is if its going to be soon. However, allowing them unchecked can and will result in them rusting. A quick fix would be to simply touch them up with some spray paint. As for anything bent, like you have done, you can try to bend it back as long as it doesn't affect the operation of any components. If it does, then it may need to be disassembled and worked or even replaced. For some real tough rust stopping action though, I recommend POR15... it is the commercial version of what we use on the submarine to stop rust in its tracks. You can paint it on right over the rust and then paint that stuff when it hardens. You can get it at quadratec and other places. Hope this all helps.

Justin

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
the underside of mine has a few scrapes......
im letting them rust as im replacing the gas skid....
i think POR15 is about the best you can apply if your worried about
long term.
short term rattle can some black primer after a good brushing
with a wire brush.

what bugs me is the front end..... came from the factory rusted.
someday when i get bored.... im gonna hot pressure spray it..
and get that rust off... then use some flat black paint.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Justin and 4x4mac,
Thanks very much for the info.
I'll get the POR-15.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JustinRuby03 said:
No problem... now put some pics of your paragon trip up :)

Justin
One of them is my avatar for this Forum.
Notice I didn't use one where I was stuck. :)

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
OK...here is my opinion on scraps etc and underbody care of vehicles...and I will be honest with you I know a bit about them...not from jeep maint. but from the vehicel services we do on our HUMVEE's at work. Every 4-8 weeks we go through the vehicles and do sevices....Basicly its an extreme check of the vehicle...its very simple to do and if you do preventative services on your vehicle it makes it that much easier. I do them on my jeep b/c they work good at my work. If you want I can post them in detail of how I do my checks on my vehicle. Basicly I check the vehicle in detail before, during and after I 4wheel it. Then every month I do an in depth underbody inspection. Clean, repaint, etc.....underbody....this prevents rust...if anyones interested let me know I can go more in depth of the checks...if your in the military you should know the services I am talking about....the big thing you have to remember is MAINTENCE MAINTENCE MAINTENCE AND PREVENTIVE MAINTENCE....Especialy if your jeep is your daily driver
Pete.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Thats right. Preventative maint. is very important so you don't have to do corrective maint. I make my own maint schedules that are more strict than sched A or B :)

Justin

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Tremclad is my best friend... :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oops sorry, first post gave error

Helpful for preventative maint. The loctite and rustoleum rust reformer or DURO Extend are avail in rattle cans or brush on form. It turns rusty metal black and seals and can be painted over with hammerite or rustoleum hammered finish. I used the rustoleum rattle can version to coat my rusty looking factory axles around all the weld points while installing the lift.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts