Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - My 2012 JKUR has a much tighter turning radius in 2WD than in 4WD. Is this normal or is it a sign of some problem, e.g., old u-joints? Thanks

·
2,192 Posts
Interesting. I have a TJ. As soon as I get a chance, I’ll get some chalk and a straight edge and check it out on mine.

·
2,192 Posts
Maybe you could try turning full left, holding it there while in 2WD drive and then shifting into 4WD to see if you notice any reaction in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
313 Posts
Maybe it's the front differential not allowing the wheels to roll independently. The inner turning arc is shorter and tighter than the outside arc which may cause the inner wheel to "hop" to relieve binding which increases the turning radius. Just a guess.

·
2,192 Posts
I saw no actual turning radius difference between 2WD and 4WD with my TJ.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
My JK is the same. I'm not sure if there actual difference in the turning radius but it is certainly harder to turn in 4WD and seems like a wider arc. I would've told you it was a wider radius, but I never thought to measure it like Norminator just did, so I won't use absolutes.

·
2,192 Posts
I know the u-joints think it’s tighter 😁

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much. Very helpful. I'm the second owner and the Jeep has about 80K miles. It sounds like it's probably due for new u-joints and maybe ball joints. I'm sure these are the original.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There might not be much difference in turning radius with the 2-dr...I saw a you tube film where somebody did a comparison with the 4-dr between 2x2 and 4x4 and the 2x2 turning radius was a bit shorter so not unusual to turn shorter in 2x drive.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The steering can move the knuckla against the stop the same in 2wd or 4wd so the tires turn the equal amount. When in 4wd the front tires have a tendency to scrub more so it is harder to turn. When you live in a winter state it is something you learn really quick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The steering can move the knuckles against the stop the same in 2wd or 4wd so the tires turn the equal amount. When in 4wd the front tires have a tendency to scrub more so it is harder to turn. When you live in a winter state it is something you learn really quick.
Yes that's what I'm finding. It's not as much scrubbing as if I had the front locker on. I'm not skipping, but I do need to drop back into 2WD on tight turns. Not great when you live up a steep snowy hill and you have to drop out of 4WD to make that last tight turn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In any turn the rear wheels follow a radius smaller than the front wheels so they turn slower. There is no center differential so something has to give when you are in 4WD. The scrubbing front tires probably increase your turn radius.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In any turn the rear wheels follow a radius smaller than the front wheels so they turn slower. There is no center differential so something has to give when you are in 4WD. The scrubbing front tires probably increase your turn radius.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts