Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mod-Nazis, i posted in general tech because this may be suspension related, may be driveline related.

trying top track down my source of vibration. i have such a small lift that i wonder if its not driveline related.

1) i installed polyurethane spring spacers and now i can feel vibration (mostly can be felt in the steering wheel).

2) i only have 3" of suspensin lift and the pinion has been adjusted to a degree or two lower than the driveshaft. but the overall angle is about 15 - 16 degrees? seems a little high for only a 3" lift, not sure why so steep.

3) tires are as balanced as they can be, and i have a fresh alignment.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike...Is the vibration a speed specific thing, It is harmonic.

You have done 3" of spacer lift? If this is the case then did you adjust the front track bar and the rear trackbar. If no then I can see some issues here.

1. Front trackbar- Your draglink angle and trackbar angle are not parallel with each other. Might be off a just enough to give you vibes in the steering but not enough to experience death wobble. Make sure that your front axle is centered even if you must get an adjustable TB or even relocate the hole on the axle mount to move it over. I just solved what sounds to be the same issue on my buddies JP. I can elaborate more if need be...Just ask.

2. Rear axle is off center also and it is causing a vibration as the DS may be correct front to back but off side to side. Check that too but I would put my $$ on the front being off.

Anyone else have an idea...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cant narrow it down, the vibe isnt playing fair. sometimes it goes right along with the gas pedal, sometimes it just seems like road vibes.

i have the OME lift w/ 3/4" spacers which has netted me exactly 3" of total lift. i have rubicon express control arms that have been adjusted, and a rubicon express front track bar that has centered the front axle.

i will measure the rear axle and double check the front axle this weekend while i am installing my anti-rock..

thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
As I stated at Colo4x4:

Trac-Bar, Pan-hard Bar or what ever other name you want to call it. You may need to adjust it a little more.

If the front driveshaft is not aligned well between the x-fer case and diff, it will give you a vibration you can feel in the steering wheel.

Polyurethane does increase vibrations or whatever over rubber, did you retain the factory rubber isolators when you added the coil spacers? That could account for more vibes.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, i should mention that it started with the spacers addition. but i am not convinced it is the extra height. lots of jeeps run 3" with no vibes at all, so i am trying to brianstorm everything before i yank them out to see if its them (what a PITA).

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
BTW - simple S.O.B., who lives up the street from me, put a TeraFlex 3" lift on his and had to get a new CV type rear driveshaft. His is Inca Gold too, 5 spd manual.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Minor vibration

Is there ever a week we can go by without something on the Rubi causing a problem - just got mine out of the shop (dealer installed new front tranny pump (auto) because of the hard downshift at 30mph) now I have a new vibe felt through the steering wheel. Stock no lift. Took it by dealer and he says they have had several come in with put of balance front drive shafts. Guess what - he ordered me a new front shaft. We shall see. Shaft also had a approx. 1/2-3/4 inch rotational play in it (maybe normal?)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man, i have all of your problems, plus calypso's problems. i posted this same topic on colorado4x4.org and am as confused as i was when i started searching for info.

i think if i went into the dealership about this they would laugh me out the door because of all of the suspension changes i've made. they already think all of my tranny problems are in my head.

BTW, my hard shift came back yesterday whatroc?!.

i LOVE the jeep, and i figure the vibes are self-inflicted on my part. now its just a matter of tracking down the source. the tranny on the other hannd makes me :mad:

G

·
0 Posts
Poly anything causes more vibes, if angles are not a problem you are just feeling the vibration of the engine thru the frame. I also have an OME and have installed a 1” spacer in the front (removed stock rubber 3/4” spacer and added a 1.75” poly spacer. Much more bounce back from the increased spacer.

You would have the same kick back from the tires with rubber but it would not increase vibes. When you add a spacer it does not increase spring load but it does increase preload, in other words the spring is being prestressed, therefore it feels rougher. Another compromize in the wonderfull world of suspension modification.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mike,

When you put your spacers in, did you keep the factory isolators?

I disagree with the notion that spring spacers increase pre-load- the spring has no idea what or where it's contact surface is.

With my OME lift and 3/4" spacers in front, I have not yet relocated or replaced my trackbars- both Front and Rear. I have not yet detected any kind of vibration other than a very slightly out of balance tire or two (not rebalanced yet after a couple extreme trails and 2000 highway miles).

Is your vibration a higher frequency than tire balance? In otherwords, do you think the vibration is more like that from the drivetrain? In top gear, your driveshafts will be turning at 3-4 times the speed of your wheels, and thus the frequency level will be higher.

G

·
0 Posts
[quote="Calypso"
I disagree with the notion that spring spacers increase pre-load- the spring has no idea what or where it's contact surface is.
[/quote]

Coil spring manufacturers don’t recommend large spacers due to increased spring wear. I assume that means they are over stressed because of the spacer. But I see your point, its not the same as, say a coil over shock that restricts the bottom of the spring from moving wile increasing the preload adjustment nut (shortening the spring). Adding the coil spacers on mine defiantly took a great OME ride and made it harsher.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Calypso said:
Mike,

With my OME lift and 3/4" spacers in front, I have not yet relocated or replaced my trackbars- both Front and Rear. I have not yet detected any kind of vibration other than a very slightly out of balance tire or two (not rebalanced yet after a couple extreme trails and 2000 highway miles).

Is your vibration a higher frequency than tire balance? In otherwords, do you think the vibration is more like that from the drivetrain? In top gear, your driveshafts will be turning at 3-4 times the speed of your wheels, and thus the frequency level will be higher.
yep, kept the isolators.

higher freqency than tire balance (which has always been more of a wobble).

but, my wife and i went to a big 4x4 meet and greet last night. she decided my 3" of list wasn't enough (who am i to argue), so i am pricing 4.5" coils and all necessary extra components (yeah!). so we will see how it all plays out after i rework the suspension and get a new rear driveshaft. ANYBODY RUNNING 4.5"COILS WITH FIXED LOWER CA'S?

btw, two interesting things i saw at the M&G:

1) 2003 sahara with an avenger supersharger. he paid about $4000 for it installed, and gets about 280HP. he also had already switched to 4.56's.

2) yet another 2003 auto tj with the hardshift when decelerating

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
Calypso said:
Mike,

yep, kept the isolators.

higher freqency than tire balance (which has always been more of a wobble).

but, my wife and i went to a big 4x4 meet and greet last night. she decided my 3" of list wasn't enough (who am i to argue), so i am pricing 4.5" coils and all necessary extra components (yeah!). so we will see how it all plays out after i rework the suspension and get a new rear driveshaft. ANYBODY RUNNING 4.5"COILS WITH FIXED LOWER CA'S?

btw, two interesting things i saw at the M&G:

1) 2003 sahara with an avenger supersharger. he paid about $4000 for it installed, and gets about 280HP. he also had already switched to 4.56's.

2) yet another 2003 auto tj with the hardshift when decelerating

I am running 4.5 and fixed lowers..What you need to know?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats it, just that you CAN run them with the 4.5! i already have the fixed lowers and adjustable uppers and want to install the 4.5 coils. now i know that combo will work.

thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
I'm going with the RE 4.5 SF kit with the RE 3.5" Kit Coils and 2" Poly coil spacers left in. I will know in a few short weeks just how that setup should run.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
thats it, just that you CAN run them with the 4.5! i already have the fixed lowers and adjustable uppers and want to install the 4.5 coils. now i know that combo will work.

thanks!
The 4.5" superflex comes with Fixed lowers..It will work fine.

G

·
0 Posts
Dang, I was told that mine were in stock as of Friday... UUHHGG!!!
Hmmm, I sure hope mine ship'd, but if not dang it, I swear, I'M JUST GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT LONGER!!!! lol

You were also getting the RE 3.5" Kit coils correct???

I will have to read back through this thread.

G

·
0 Posts
OK, I see you ordered the 4.5" Coils... Whewwww I got a block of a professional 4x4 mod'rs time reserved for next week.

I ordered a ton of stuff on top of the lift knowing I am going for nearly 5.5" of suspension lift in total, hard for me to believe something won't be back ordered though. Crossing my fingers here though for sure as I am supposed to majorly help on two brutal semi-organized trail runs here soon. Carnage and Penrose Yikes!!! I have been strongly recomended to bring replacement axels even.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
carnage, the one by boulder or the hardcore carnage everyone is talking about?

if its the hardcore one, good luck. someon just posted a few more pics of it on colorado4x4.org. looks tough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts