Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my sons and I visited the area aroung St. Elmo near Buena Vista, CO the first week in August. We stayed at a public campgound, Cascade, about 6 miles east of St. Elmo. From there, we ran trails over several passes including Hancock, Tomichi and Tincup, and took the Rubi nearly to the top og Mt. Antero (14,269 ft). This is just one small part of Colorado and we could easily have spent two more weeks exploring before we ran out of attractive trails to run.

Click on the image to view the album...

As you can see from the album, the views are magnificent.

The trails we used were not terribly difficult (rated 2 to 6 in the guide book we used), however, they were quite rocky causing travel to be fairly slow. The only place where we almost used the lockers was near the top of Mt. Antero. It was a steep ascent on a narrow shelf-road which was made wet by a small spring by the road. This was further complicated by a series of rock steps, but we made it without incident.

Speaking of incident, our Rubi now has the marks of bear teeth on the center console. Campers in a nearby campsite left their cooler out, drawing a sow and cub into the campground. They proceeded to make the rounds of all the camp sites looking for treats. Apparently, they see anything reactangular as a potential food source, and, though we had no food out, they punched a hole in our canvas carrier cover and tried to bite the center console open. When you go into the wild, store all food away from yourselves and out of reach of bears. We had no place to put things that was truly secure (soft top on the jeep), so we stacked our provisions in the outhouse.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... we stacked our provisions in the outhouse.
Heck, I wouldn't go near 'em! :lol: :shock:

Great pics, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

Bill :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts