Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this was the first and last weekend i will wheel with this skid. i would rather call it a bad investment and get a skid row than keep bending this thing back into shape after each trip.

driveshaft banged against the bracket constantly. i could have lived with this and tried to space it over to the passenger side .......

but i can't live with this. this is the result of a controlled TEST, just to see how it did sliding over a rock at very low speed. i know its only 1/8" thick, but i thought it would hold up better than this

at least it wore the rust of my shaft....umm, so to speak

FOR SALE: one "slightly" used oil pan/tranny skid. cheap! :D

G

·
0 Posts
Wow, I know which one I'm not going to consider. I did it's job, but I would have thought it would hold up a little better. When you get your Skid Row, can you do the same test. That would be a good comparison.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
OUTCH....No wonder I got that skid of mine for so cheap.....I guess I will sell it.....any takers....lol
Pete

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, i will test out a skid row when i head back to moab at the end of the month. i am ordering one tomorrow from offroadtoystore.com ($199 = shipping BTW).

you're right, it did its job. it didn't even come close to touching even after the bend. but in a real world it may not have and here's why. you can't tell from the pic, but what i did was i rode the passenger side edge of the skid over the rock. if i had centered myself over the rock and placed all of the jeep's weight on it, i may have had a lot of problems on my hands ranging from being severely high-centered due to the skid conforming to the shape of the rock, or worse a punctured oil or fluid pan.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hmm. I resemble that remark. :p

I did the same thing to my Rusty's skid (same design) and wound up with about the same shape. No controlled test for me though, I landed HARD on it when I missed the line on a waterfall.
I still use it, but in highly modified form. I chopped it and mounted it from it's brace to the stock auto tranny skid.

Never had it touch the drive shaft on either rig it has been on.

IMHO it needs two 3/16 angle iron ribs going front to back, one on each side of the tranny pan.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is one more pic showing how i rode the edge of the skid. i expected the side to be tweaked, but the fact that it resulted in an arc all the way across was disheartening.

if someone thinks they could flatten this skid out, weld in some braces, and make it useful i would consider letting it go extremely cheaply. the only reason i would charge anything is to make it worth the hassle and cost of packaging it up and driving it to a UPS drop off.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mike, what are you doing to me??? :shock:

First, I was sold on the Skidrow engine skid after reading some posts here and on JU.

Then, your installation pics and write-up was so good, I was ready to go down to my local stealership and order one today!

Now, your trying out the Warn skid and pics swing me the other way... back toward the Skidrow. :)

Maybe I should just shut up and order the Skidrow! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm toying with your emotions! i'll sell you my old Warn if you like! :lol:

i ordered a skid row today. $199 from offroadtoystore.com. shipping to CO was like $12 or so. when it comes, i'll install it, post a write up then thrash it with one use. how's that??? :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that...I have the same skid and really like it!

I've used it on the trail without any problem, it seems to slide over the rocks pretty easily. Although, I haven't slammed it hard onto any rocks yet--and hopefully, not ever...

When I was installing it, I used a floor jack to see if it could support the jeep without damage and it did, but I can see how it could bend if hit just right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Scratched but not dented

Just got back from MOAB and can tell you that mys skidrow skid is not bent or dented.

Did Fins and things twice baby lions back, did Gold bar rim to the Golden Crack then turned around an went back over the crack and completed Gold bar rim in the other direction. I am still running stock tires without a lift so the skid got a real work out and only has some scratches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts