Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had the joy of seeing TCG's MML and BL for their skid plates. Long story on that one. My friend ordered his almost 3 months ago and then finally begged them to at least send the MML and BL. He needed to be able to clear his new 305 MT/R's (sweet). Seems the skid and DS are still not ready (Manufactureing issues). The BL appears to be out of Alluminum (or low ferrus metal, magnet didn't stick), nice machining job though. They fit inbetween the bottom and top of the old body mount. Real easy to go in just like any other BL. TCG does not provide extended snubbers nor new spacers to go under the old ones, so your grill is held up by only the center body mount. Also there is no bracket to move up the steering shaft. It was very noticeable as to how tight the steering was after this lift. It took definate input to turn the wheel.

My issues with the BL:
(1) No extended snubbers or brackets.
(2) No bracket for the steering shaft
(3) Dis-similar metal corrosion between the Factory steel mount and the Aluminum spacer.
(4) No directions at all.

Now on to the MML. These are very similar to the budget JKS MML and the goferit MML only as far as they go in the same location. You reutilize the factory MM and place these spacers underneath. The spacers are a chunk of box steel with a chunk of flat iron welded in side at an angle. They have a sleeve for the MM through bolt, and a bolt welded into the bottom for the bottom nut position. I have real issues with the quality of this part. The piece welded into the center is welded on one end , only reaches about 2/3rd's of the way in, and doesn't appear to offer any support until you sandwich the mount between the frame and the MM. The bolt for the bottom nut is welded on one side about 1/3rd of the way around. The hole for the bolt on the factory MM is small, we had to work the factory mount into it by twisting it back and forth. Then you have to put the factory nut back on before you get it all the way in (I had to take one back out). On a good note the painting of the part was excellent.

My issues with the MML:
(1) Cheap and poor design
(2) Cheap and incomplete welding
(3) Cheap quality of parts
(4) The worthless center brace
(5) No directions at all.

Seeing the way these parts were designed makes me worry about the skid and DS that I may be installing for him in the future. At this point I wouldn't recommend the TCG skid setup. I may change if I see a quality skid and DS.

Ron

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thank's for the heads up Ron, I decided on the Daystar BL from what I heard they are a good product but now I'm thinking I should have went JKS. Oh well live and learn!

Adam

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ron, isn't TCG's BL a 1.5 inch lift..........and nearly $250-$300 bucks. I remember seeing a while ago that they designed a 1.5" BL to try to accomodate for the skid they were designing?

:?:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, it is a 1.5 BL and expensive. I am waiting to see the skid and DS when they show up finally, I wonder what quality they will be. I'm just glad that I'm not the one who bought it.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PBR Stitch said:
Yep, it is a 1.5 BL and expensive. I am waiting to see the skid and DS when they show up finally, I wonder what quality they will be. I'm just glad that I'm not the one who bought it.

Ron
What's the score with the steering............you mentioned something about it in the other message above?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the BL you change the angle of the steering shaft in relation to the mount on the Frame. This will cause a little bit of bind. I really didn't notice it on mine when I put the JKS BL in, but this TCG's the steering is noticeably stiffer to turn the wheel. This kit really needs the lift bracket for that mount.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
With the BL you change the angle of the steering shaft in relation to the mount on the Frame. This will cause a little bit of bind. I really didn't notice it on mine when I put the JKS BL in, but this TCG's the steering is noticeably stiffer to turn the wheel. This kit really needs the lift bracket for that mount.

Ron
I am running a 1.5 BL and I have no problems with my steering set up. 200+ US for a BL and MML....Ekkkk Got mine for $120CDN..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts