Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as things happen sometimes, our travel plans have changed. We're headed east this coming Saturday and were planning on a northern route. However, due to snow in areas we were planning to visit, we are now heading south. Looks like we'll be going south through the Moab area, Four Corners, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and then east on Rt. 66.

So my questions are:

1. We are not planning to do much if any off roading in Moab because we'll be in our pickup. However, it would be nice to maybe do some gravel road, back country travel to get an idea of the area for when we come back in the Jeep. Any suggestions as to what might work or where to go for that kind of visit?

2. Where would be a good place to stay south of Moab that would allow a day trip to the Grand Canyon one day and the Four corners area another day?

3. Suggestion as to where to stay in the Moab are.....motel this time.

Gotta see on a quick trip through Moab in a pickup?

Kind of short notice I know.....

·
Registered
516 Posts
We went to Wale arch in arches NP last year it was a stocker trip. We stay at Kokopelli lodge in their 100 west cabins. It's not fancy but allows Dogs and has been nice and quiet. Walking distance to everywhere.
We have driven south of town on the way to Sedona both directions, I don't think there is anywhere to stay, that isn't sketchy until you get to Flagstaff.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
The Canyonlands Best Western in Moab is nice, our room was $99 for a King when we were there last month. Very nice free breakfast. About 50 miles north of Flagstaff there is a nice motel at Cameron Trading Post. It is close to the turnoff to the South Rim and a three hour drive to 4-corners.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Looking forward to this trip. The trip along Rt 66 is something we have been talking about for a couple of years. It's starting to be a Buddy Holly/Bonnie and Clyde trip. I thinl we are going to mame a side trip through Lubbock abd Dallas to visit the final resting place of Buddy Holly and, Bonnie and Clyde. Will also visit Dealy Plaza. The Kennedy assassination was one of the defining events of the 20th Century. I've been there but my bride nas not. It's a very sobering place to visit.

In addition, Gibsland, LA and Clear Lake, IA are also on the list of spots to visit.

At some point, we are also planning on going to The Henry Ford Museum, The Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum, and The USAF Museum in Dayton, OH. It should be an interesting 2 months!

In addition, we have tickets to see one of the best music groups in the US today.....that you've never heard of.....Blackberry Smoke! Can't wait.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We hit some of the recommended spots on our recent trip back from CA, great sights to see.

We had met a group of Miata Car Club members in Arches that asked if we were "Eagles fans".
It took us a second to realize they meant the rock group, not the football team.
Anyway they suggested going by the "Corner in Winslow Arizona". It was just off of 66 on our way to our next stop in TX. It was just about sunrise when we got there, so we were able to look around and move on.
It was interesting to see how this small town got "on the map".

Sounds like you are going to have an exciting trip.
It's amazing the things you see when traveling by car off of the major interstates. Beautiful country.

Safe travels.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there are a couple of changes to our plans. Moab is out for now, going to concentrate on the Rt 66 portion of the trip. Moab will most likely be this fall for a week.

We are leaving Saturday AM though.....really looking forward to there trip.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, things changed again.....

We spent our first night in Provo, UT. After arriving there, we received a call from my sister-in-law with news that my wife's mother was in the hospital. The next AM, we headed east for IL and made the trip with only one night spent on the road. My wife has been with her mother at the hospital for the last week. She might get moved to a rehab facility today....not certain.

My BIL and I are spending our time putting miles on the new truck. Yesterday we drove to Bolivia......Bolivia, IL that is!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not much new to report fromIL. MIL is out of the hospital but in rehab unit for a month. Things are better with her, but I don't think she is too good. However, my wife and her sisters are opptimistic so time will tell. At her age you just don't know.

I have about 5000 miles on the new truck and will do a quick review in a couple of days.

I wish my Jeep was here...... I sound like a kid who lost his favorite toy!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back on the road heading home. MIL is doing fine at home....with my wife's sister taking care of her. Truck has 8000+ miles, and will be time for another oil change when we get home. We did not do much sightseeing, but my wife spent a lot of time with her mother.

Will be home by Friday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts