Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Received the new traps. I thought I was ready to dye and wax, but I went to look for my snares and of course I cannot find them, so I will make new ones. The new ones will be better, since I've learned a bit more since 2011/2012. I hope I learned something anyway. The new snares will have a lock to keep the cable from loosening around what it snares, also a swivel.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am making jerky today with the meat I trapped at Wally World. It put up a fight. I could barely get it in my cart. Every time I looked at the price, it kept jumping back into the brush. I finally got it home, though. I am making chicken jerky and beef jerky. I have never made chicken jerky, so I am not overly hopeful with how it will turn out.
I should make snares today, but at the moment I am not inspired. In other words, my recliner is comfortable, and I don't want to move.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Do you know why Native Americans did not have packs of dogs?
Because they ate all the jerky.
I made chicken jerky for the first time, it's pretty darn good, and the dogs like it too, they like it a little bit too much. My hands are not safe giving them jerky. Maybe the meat smell is concentrated, and this makes them a little aggressive. lol

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think I will build some 1/8th inch snares. I don't have hogs, bear, or other such animals in my proximity, but this type of snare will work on humans very well, with the locking device on it, and a tree putting pressure on the snare they are not going anywhere, unless they know what to do. An ordinary human will have the dogs on them quickly, lessening their chance of escape.
I need to get the materials first.
I usually build my snares with stainless cable, it cost a bit more but slips better than galvanized, but galvanized works, and has been used for many, many years.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
They are Greyhounds. The White/Tan one is mid sized and the black one is a little on the small side.
This was the first day we brought them home. They are always super skinny when you first adopt them and now they are nice 5-10lbs heavier and don't have the ribs popping out like that anymore
Plant Window Tree Dog Dog breed

And if they see a rabbit, they get into full alert mode
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Plant

Plant Green Dog Human body Dog breed

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
They are Greyhounds. The White/Tan one is mid sized and the black one is a little on the small side.
This was the first day we brought them home. They are always super skinny when you first adopt them and now they are nice 5-10lbs heavier and don't have the ribs popping out like that anymore
View attachment 77489

And if they see a rabbit, they get into full alert mode
View attachment 77490

View attachment 77491
Yes, in the pics laying on the bed, and couch they looked smaller. My Itai was small, but that's the way they are supposed to be. She was a good dog. She was a hunter. She used to kill snakes. I got her from the SPCA in Florida as a pup. She fit in my hand.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
When we brought our Heeler home from animal rescue, she was on the skinny side as well (~35 pounds) but she added abour 6 pounds and now is nicely filled out but not overweight. I assume these poor critters are stressed out in a pound/rescue environment and don't eat well.

Greyhounds and Whippets are gorgeous dogs.

Reactions: Mouse
21 - 40 of 40 Posts