Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a couple of different size Conibear traps, wire snares, and modified old victor rat traps. I am going to make new wire snares, modernize them. I am thinking of getting some foot hold traps, not that I need them. I am mostly going after small game, squirrels, rabbit. These I can catch where I live, for bigger animals I would have to leave my property, something I do not want to do in certain scenarios.
I dragged my bow out this morning. I have not shot it in several years, I have got weaker with age. LOL

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
Snares are used around here for feral hogs. You look for an area where the piggies have been going under a fence, set a snare and check it every few days. I was hog hunting with my BIL and we found a piggie caught in a snare - boom. He's bacon.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received some Bridger 220's in the mail today. They are huge compared to my 110's. They are going to be fun to set with double springs. Don't get your head in it, it will hurt.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
pics? Would like to see what it is you're talking about.

Reactions: Wildrat

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pics? Would like to see what it is you're talking about.
I was too lazy to take a pic of my traps this morning, so I got this one from the Inet. These conibear traps are body clamp traps. They all look about the same, the size of the opening changes, spring size, etc. This pic shows the trap set with safety's on.
Auto part Event Fashion accessory Bicycle part Metal

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I forgot to say, these traps are called body clamp traps, but they can be set up as foot hold traps, and no, the animal will not chew its foot off in most cases.
There are traps made specifically for foot holds. I will be ordering some of those in the next few days. There are different sizes for different types of animals, and I am trying to decide on one trap, so I don't have a million different traps.
I think the conibear 220's are good for here, since coyotes here are about the size of my dogs, but scrawny, kinda like Nashoba, one of my males.
If you set the conibears up to be body clamp, you need to check your trap every day where I am, or the meat will be no good since the animal is dead. With the foot hold traps the animal will be alive, and will need to be killed, or as some people say dispatched, so they do not upset the wokies.
Perspective. This is a Conibear Bridger 220.

Attachments

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered my foothold/coil spring traps. I went with a smaller trap, it will catch everything from fox down when set correctly. I thought about going bigger, but I mostly want food, not fur. This company has free shipping over 100 bucks, so that was nice, and they were a little cheaper than the place I usually order from.
Bridger #1.5 Coil Spring Trap - Offset Jaw

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
One of my CEU classes (for a restricted herbicide applicator license) had a speaker discussing snares. Placement, etc. One point was how intelligent coyotes are and how difficult it is to place a snare to where the critter wouldn't be alerted to something out of place.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of my CEU classes (for a restricted herbicide applicator license) had a speaker discussing snares. Placement, etc. One point was how intelligent coyotes are and how difficult it is to place a snare to where the critter wouldn't be alerted to something out of place.
Very true. There are smart ones and then the ones which are not so bright, they get caught, kinda like humans.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Snares are used around here for feral hogs. You look for an area where the piggies have been going under a fence, set a snare and check it every few days. I was hog hunting with my BIL and we found a piggie caught in a snare - boom. He's bacon.
I never thought to use an snare for something that big, all the ones I have are for small animals (rabbits, squirrels), you have piqued my curiosity, going to have to look into this.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I never thought to use an snare for something that big, all the ones I have are for small animals (rabbits, squirrels), you have piqued my curiosity, going to have to look into this.
1/8th inch cable snare. Check the rating on the cable, American cable is stronger than Chinese cable. I buy Chinese, it's cheaper, and I would not be trying to catch a two ton pig. No hogs in my neighborhood, not unless you count the local wildlife.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My latest trap order is on the way. These are foot hold traps, they are what you call offset, meaning there is a gap in the jaw when closed, supposed to be less harmful to the animal and fur. If you catch an animal you don't want to keep, you can let it go if it doesn't chew your hand off. This trap works up to fox size. I like foxes, so I would let them go. This trap also comes in closed jaw. There are pro's and con's to both traps depending on who you listen too. Alabama's regs require you to have a holding stick to safely handle the animal. This is not the smallest foothold trap, there is one smaller. This is not the most expensive trap, either. You can get them for $9.50, shipping extra. I found a place with free shipping, but the price is a little higher. These are Bridger 1.5's. They also call these coil spring traps.There is a cheaper trap called a Duke, for a little more you get a better trap with the Bridger. There are also the MB (Minnesota Brand) traps. They cost twice as much as the Bridger, but are said to work out of the box. The Dukes you have to tinker with, the Bridgers can be tinkered with, but they work out of the box also.
Body jewelry Font Jewellery Auto part Metal

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone know of a free phone app which I could put geo markers on a map. I need something to mark the location of traps so I can find them when my mentally challenged brain can't remember stuff. Oh, something that would work offline, and more importantly "FREE" or of very little cost, very little.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Handhel GPS is the way to go, I have an etrex vista hcx I bought almost 15 years ago ans is still going strong, light and does not depend on any type of cell signal. If you are looking for an app check GAIA GPS, I have it on my tablet and phone, use it mostly for 4x4 trips. I prefer the etrex for activities that require hiking.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
NOTE TO SELF: Never visit Wildrat without calling first, then confirming the day of, then talking to him on the phone while approaching his front door

:ROFLMAO:
You have to get to the door first. Eight shepherds roaming the yard.
I found an app that will work for marking the location of the traps, it works offline also, except the offline map does not have satellite view, which is no big deal since I will know where I am, I hope. lol

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of six of my children waiting for me after coming home from cycling. My new foothold/coil spring traps should be here today. Now, I will be able to dye them all and wax them all at once. If you wax your traps, buy the gallon jug of Zep wax from Sams if a member, It is $9.98, the trap wax for a gallon is around $24. The MSDS for the two are pretty much the same, if not the same. It works and is cheap, like me. Some people paint their traps, painting is too much like work. I'd rather just dip them in the dye, let dry, then dip them in the wax, let dry.
Plant Fence Grass Mesh Wire fencing

1 - 20 of 40 Posts