Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never made a post as most I ever needed for help was reading forums or Youtube videos. However, I can't figure out my jeep. It is a 2005 Rubicon with a 4 inch Rubicon Express 4 link long arm lift. 35x12.5 tires with 16 inch -12 degree offset wheels. 172000 Miles on it now and around 165000 miles the rear end was rebuilt. Found out the previous owner had 5.13 gears put in. I just replaced the input shaft and the 5th gear on the transmission. NSG370 6 speed.

Anyways the vibration starts immediately when in gear and going down the road. It reacts to the rpm change and the vibration increases tempo as the rpm increases. When the clutch pedal is pressed in or the gas is let up the noise goes away. It does it in every gear also. I also put the jeep on jack stands and floated the tires. When it is on stands there is no noise. Only while on the road. The noise sounds like its coming directly under the floor board to my right. I don't believe it has an aftermarket driveshaft. However I have put 40k miles on it and now has started doing it. I have dumped thousands into it and a lot of time. Really need a hail mary here. Thanks

-Matt

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, with a 4" lift the stock driveshaft should have been replaced with a double cardan driveshaft. My first guess would be a bad driveshaft. Easy check, remove rear driveshaft and drive in 4H as a front wheel drive vehicle. If the noise has been eliminated you have likely found the problem. Check and report back.

·
2,111 Posts
Welcome to posting on ROF.
X2 on removing the driveshaft. Make sure you mark the ends to get back in the same orientation. Sounds like your 35s caught up with you.

I also wonder if the shop reinstalled the driveshaft off from its balanced position. Probably not, but who knows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. So far I have found that all of the rear U joints are good. As well as the front ones. I also greased them to see if the noise would change, no joy. I removed the rear drive shaft and drove in 4h. Noise and vibration was gone. The drive shafts also are both Tom Wood double cardan drive shafts. I then took pictures of them with an angle finder which I will post below. Also to describe the noise better its like a clicking noise. Similar to when you were a kid and put a card in your spokes to get a engine sound. Only now its more of a metallic sound.
Product Bottle Musical instrument Wood Guitar
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also I had the rear drive shaft out multiple times since I've had it and also taken apart. I have never marked its location. I put the drive shaft back together and matched either end with the weights but I am not sure if it still correct. Being that the noise is isolated to the rear drive shaft and rear axle what is the next step? All the U joints felt good and nothing changed with fresh grease. Also I noticed oil coming out of the axle near the hub on the rear right tire.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have no love for the NSG370. I have had many apart for many different reasons.
Did you take your apart after or before the noise?? Why did you replace the input shaft, Did you do a clutch or release bearing?
A rotational clicking noise is a common nsg complaint and is usually play in one of the syncro's.
You said it is rpm related. So the noise starts in first, gets more frequent and louder with rpm, when you shift to second it starts at a slower frequency then builds to the next shift and so on.
Noises like this are not driveshaft, tire, wheel, differential as they are road speed noises. Road speed does not change with gears, only with total vehicle speed.
I am not telling you to take your transmission apart again as I cannot hear the noise. Even if you posted a video clip I wouldn't diagnose anything that I couldn't touch myself.
Some of the problem with a nsg is that they are a loose transmission and if you do tear one down it would be hard to see the culprit. You have to rally be familiar with the power flow in each gear.
Do you have a reputable transmission shop near you?

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK, you said the noise went away with the rear driveshaft removed and now a metallic clicking sound with it reinstalled. I experienced a knocking sound with my rear driveshaft when it went bad. Once it was out I could feel slop in the double cardan assembly. I opted for a new Tom Woods shaft. You could call them up to check on ordering new vs. sending back for them to rebuild/rebalance.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Also I had the rear drive shaft out multiple times since I've had it and also taken apart. I have never marked its location. I put the drive shaft back together and matched either end with the weights but I am not sure if it still correct. Being that the noise is isolated to the rear drive shaft and rear axle what is the next step? All the U joints felt good and nothing changed with fresh grease. Also I noticed oil coming out of the axle near the hub on the rear right tire.
your axle seal on that side is leaking. It’s probably already messed up your parking brake shoes.
Going to have to pull the axle and replace the seal. Not real expensive. Helps if you have a press.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There is a few good drag car performance shops near me but not so much off-road. I got a hold of customer service for Tom Woods and they worked with me to troubleshoot and rebuild my drive shaft for little cost. They mentioned the ball joint in the double cardan tends to be the fault with this type of issue. Excellent customer service by the way. Id like to not pull my tranny again as it was a pain in the [email protected]@ so I am going to try this first. Repair my axle seal while I wait I suppose. Thanks for the help y'all.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,286 Posts
Had the same issue, rebuilt the rear DS and it went away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts