Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to forum and working on my first TJ Rubicon (2003)
I am looking for the speed sensor that goes into the tranfers case output housing. I got two different ones from Napa and they are both wrong. Mine is a three wire (hall effect type) sensor with no gear or shaft on it. I am having a terrible time finding one. Anyone have a part number or any tips on where to get one?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! Appreciate it! But that one doesn't look like mine. It looks like the one that gets the gear on the end. Mine is just a round pin aroun 1/2" in diameter and flat on the bottom. Should also mention mine has three terminal/wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked those ones up and it said they were all 2-wire. Both your suggestions look like the same ones I got from my local NAPA. I always seem to have the oddball stuff LOL.

·
Administrator
10,842 Posts
Hey and welcome to ROF!

What you will find out after a lot of trial and error is that the OEM parts are almost always superior to aftermarket parts. You might pay a few bucks more but you are (in most cases) getting a better part and the correct part. Go to the parts counter of your local dealer and be ready to give them the VIN of your Rubi.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,045 Posts
bolt hold down looks broken Greg. i would also replace the torq screw with a bolt. Once the torx is used the head starts rusting and you a fubar the next time you need to take it out. Also make sure to seat it right, otherwise you will get TC fluid everywhere (this comes from experience).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the eye that holds sensor on is broke. I put a fender washer with some RTV on it temporarily until I get a new one. Not leaking at all but still want to replace it. I did replace bolt also, barely got the torx one off that was there it was crusty LOL.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I was having issues with my speedometer dropping to 0 and then popping back to life. Thought maybe a bad electrical connection... The other day I got a CEL and 501 or 510...can't remember, but I looked it up and it indicated Speed Sensor problem.

The local Jeep dealers don't have any 5033202AB and they are back ordered.

Went to Pep Boys and got a replacement speed sensor...

I pulled what I thought was MY speed sensor, located on the output shaft on the back of the t-case. It is the same one as pictured by the OP. But that's not what I got from Pep Boys. The one from Pep Boys has a long thin square shaft.
Pep Boys said the one that I have (short 1/2" wide shaft) is a cam or crank position sensor....

Any help here??

·
Administrator
10,842 Posts
..I pulled what I thought was MY speed sensor, located on the output shaft on the back of the t-case. It is the same one as pictured by the OP. But that's not what I got from Pep Boys. The one from Pep Boys has a long thin square shaft.
Pep Boys said the one that I have (short 1/2" wide shaft) is a cam or crank position sensor....

Any help here??
I think you have a transfer case switch (4-high, 4-low, etc) and a speed sensor on the t-case. From what I recall, the speed sensor is near the end of the t-case.

Maybe your Pep Boys parts consultant doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think you have a transfer case switch (4-high, 4-low, etc) and a speed sensor on the t-case. From what I recall, the speed sensor is near the end of the t-case.

Maybe your Pep Boys parts consultant doesn't have a clue.
I think you are correct...

Can anyone confirm an aftermarket part number?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving an old thread... But i cannot find this answer anywhere on google. The speed sensor pictured by the OP on page 1 5033202AB, is no longer supported by Jeep. I cannot find a part that replaced it. I called the Jeep dealer and got a "good luck". It is a three wire type.

The best idea i have so far is to order and measure/test fit the TeraFlex 4990254 Replacement Short Shaft Speed Sensor. Sorry i cannot post links yet, but they have it on Amazon.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Administrator
10,842 Posts
Hi and welcome. That sensor is more scarce than an honest politician.

Here's one for sale but they probably don't have one in inventory. You could search for a junk 241 transfer case, call 4x4 shops that are doing engine swapouts. The sensor is probably a Hall effect device - maybe the old one could be hacked and the Hall effect device replaced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Reviving an old thread... But i cannot find this answer anywhere on google. The speed sensor pictured by the OP on page 1 5033202AB, is no longer supported by Jeep. I cannot find a part that replaced it. I called the Jeep dealer and got a "good luck". It is a three wire type.

The best idea i have so far is to order and measure/test fit the TeraFlex 4990254 Replacement Short Shaft Speed Sensor. Sorry i cannot post links yet, but they have it on Amazon.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
I'm in the middle of dealing with this problem right now. I found one on RockAuto that is on it's way to me now. The problem that I had was that search engines are only as good as their programmers. If you get deep into the other mfg part numbers you'll have better luck searching. Part numbers change almost every model year on some things, it is enough to drive you crazy!!

Edit, before I finished typing, I found this:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/standard-ignition-5753/brake-systems-16456/abs-parts-16608/vehicle-speed-sensor-11784/e06e4f5f9dc5/standard-ignition-3-terminal-vehicle-speed-sensor/sc332/5821026

When I last looked, O'reilly's had one in a store in Butler, MO. Perhaps it is still there? Will they ship from a store?

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I got the teraflex speed sensor in today, but I cannot make it work. Too short and too small a diameter for the hole. Currently returning to Amazon.
Sambo, please let us know if the one from rock auto works and the part number associated with it.
I have and SC332 on order right now from Pepboys. Oriley and Auto Zone were not able to help. I will update if Pepboys pulls through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mfg was NTK part number VB0220. It does not come with the o-ring so you will need a new one of those or at least gently remove the old one from your sensor. Does it work? I don't know yet. Had to stop playing with the Jeep for a Land Owner meeting with the county and state about the grand canyon washout that goes across my gravel road. It is a 40 foot wide 30 foot deep washout. We have had a lot of flooding around here. Now it's too late to play, I have to go to work........darn it!

Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts