Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if any damage is caused when the transfer case is taken out of 4L without depressing the clutch (speed within 2-3 mph)? Could someone explain the mechanics of this to me? Why is it not necessary to depress the clutch when moving between 4H and 2H?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I believe it has to do with gear ratio's. You can't jump from a higher gear to a lower gear without causing it to grind....

To much grinding and forcing of the gears can and will lead to gear damage and or chain damage....

For the price of a new T-Case put it in nuteral and shift gears. You have to slow down the T-case just like you have to have the gears in your tranny the same speed in order to mesh..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4H to 4L

Last night I was playing in the snow. Goin super slow, while in 4L, I pushed the transfer case lever out of 4L and heard more of a light flutter as it went to 4H. I kinda had a brain fart and didn't realize that I'd forgotten to push the clutch pedal. Could I have done any damage? I'm really paranoid at this stage because I don't wanna f&%K anything up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You should not have done any damage.........You are more likely to damage something if you are trying to put in to 4lo....

I would not worry about it. It will take a lot of grinding and prying to break it.. 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts