Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed Safari Snorkel that’s another topic.

After install question was presented to me, what about the trans and tc breathers? Will they allow water into the cases?

I have no idea!! :?:

Do I need to extend breathers (if any), if so any advice as to where?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yes you should extend the breathers on the T-Case and Tranny. I don't know if you can do it yourself but I would take it into the dealership and pay a little $$ to have them extend them up to the top of the firewall. ..

JMO

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, now know I need to…

Must confess, I have not even looked under to see if I can identify the breathers. Assuming simple rubber hose?

Anyone performed this modification that can steer me in the correct direction?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The T-case breather runs up along the firewall (should be by master cylinder), the transmission (manual) is just a press fit cap on top of the tranny.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
The T-case breather runs up along the firewall (should be by master cylinder), the transmission (manual) is just a press fit cap on top of the tranny.

Ron
Thanks Ron.. I did not know that t-case one was already exteneded. That press fit cap will need to be changed.. I will get you the part number that my dealership used to do it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I would like to extend the trannys up to at least the height of the t-cases. I even want to put real check valves on them, if I could find some real good ones that will survive. I've worked air systems, and haven't found a good one to prevent water intrusion yet, but I haven't seen them all.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
LILRDJP, please post the part numbers when find them. I am interested as well. Thanks!!

Ken

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm not sure a check valve is the best way to go. What about after the t-case or tranny gets cold after a run? If the check valve is doing its job, you will have a slight vacuum in the case.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking that I may have to route the lines to a manifold and incorporated a few items, or find a membrane type breather. We have them to dry out the air. They will pass air, but not water. Unfortunately I haven't found any small enough nor cheap enough. You could use a vacuum breaker, as long as you found one that would allow for air release also. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Ron

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Got any pics of the safari snorkel installed? I'm tempted to get one myself.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LILRDJP - Part number(s) would be great!! :D
Nice to have someone like yourself helping out.

Ron - Like your idea, please post if you come up with anything.

Lothos - will post a pic when I get home...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found the breather on t-case, and the end in engine compartment. Took pics to post. (Cannot figure out how to post them :mad: ) The breather ends about the center of the hump. Assume this should be extended? The cap looks like it has a purpose.

Cannot find the man. trans. "cap" :?: Ran my hand all over the top of trans...No luck....

Work on pics later...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ok...here is the deal with the tranny breather.. There is a fixed cap on the existing breather. This has to be taken off with some force and then a regular axle hose with cap is used and put on with a small hose clamp. It is a PITA to do with the tranny in but it can be done. My suggestion and some other guys in my club is to get the dealership to do it. They know where it is and how to get to it.

I will try and get some pix of one done for you...Have to search the server.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts