Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Shop Manuals (2 thick hard copy books) for my TJ and can't find where the torque/torque sequence is for the Flex Plate (not Flywheel), in the manuals to mate w/ the engine crank shaft. The manual makes reference to attaching the Trans Torque Converter to the "engine" but for an auto trans, the torque converter attaches to the Flex Plate (4 bolts) and the Flex Plate attaches to the engine crank shaft (6 bolts), which is what I can't find info' on. Service Manual page/section reference would be awesome. Thanks. - Hawk

·
Administrator
11,060 Posts
ROF member renglish might know, he's a professional wrench.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The spec is 65 foot pounds. The bolt heads are pretty shallow you don't want to round them off. Use your discretion when tightening them.
There isn't a service manual procedure but here is how I do it.
I use blue lock tight on the bolts. Blue is removable and if reusing the bolts you need to put something on them. If you have new bolts (recommended) then the bolts should already have it applied to the threads.
Start the first bolt and thread it in all the way then back it of 1/2 turn, just enough so the convertor can move back and forth. Turn the crank over and start the second the same way. Once all the bolts are in then you can tighten them up.
If you don't do this then when you get to the last bolt you wont be able to get it started as there is enough play in the bolt holes that it wont quite line up.

I cannot remember if a TJ's convertor can bolt up any way or if the bolts are off set and will only bolt up one way. If you get it wrong you will only have to do it 3 more times, lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts