Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have a different transmission than stock jeep owners this kit applies to stockers. The kit has supplied brackets that allow mounting to the frame. Wont work with a long arm suspension . Nor will it work with the Nth TT skid plate. Here is how I made it work.

When I tried to find the actual output port on the 6L90 transmission I kept finding threads about installs and ALL of them said this was a supplemental cooler, in-line with the factory cooler. I had an oh shi* moment because I had already removed the cooler that I imported from the truck donor. After a call to Deraler I found that this cooler and fan was quite acceptable as a replacement I tried several time to get the kit hose AN fitting to seal up to my transmission and could not. Just so happened that the SS braided lines from the truck fit nicely with the relocated cooler and didn't leak at all.. Unfortunately, I lost a quart of fluid after finding leaks with the kit hoses and can't get any more until tomorrow for a test drive!

quit is spelled quit not quite!! Damn autocorrect>:)

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
And as a bonus you've removed some heat from the rad by not running the tranny fluid through it. Should help the process!

I've been aching to mount a cooler on the hood with flexible SS lines and fan. Think I saw a Porsche in Kenny Bell's book with one mounted like that and it struck a key...

·
3,425 Posts
How much space is there between the fan and the tub?

Reactions: Stinger

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Nice job Frank and great pictures! I'm impressed with your nutsert tool - I need to add that to my metalworking stuff. You might consider adding expanded mesh screen or even some light gauge steel plate to protect the cooler.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wood, the old cooler sat in front of the engine cooler. It did not enter into the large Noval aluminum one.

Don, because I reversed the kit's stock mounting bracket and added the 1.5" spacers there is about 3 or 4 inches. It gets plenty of air flow.:nerd:

JC, I found this kit on another forum with a great write up. The author there also was advised to add a guard of some type. His is mounted in the "stock" location. Just behind the skid and on the frame.vsaid he never had a problem. Now mine is higher up and farther back. So it should be ok. :wink2: But maybe a mesh cover wouldn't hurt! Unfortunately I don't have time to do that before we leave:frown2:

·
Registered
290 Posts
And the guy that did the write up admitted he damaged the thing on is first trip.
Underneath is an inherently bad place for off road use, what with all the mud, sticks and rocks thrown up by you tires.
Do you know that several vendors sell a cooler that fits in front of the radiator? A few mods are required. but basically the requirement is a 4" thick unit. Some of the larger coolers would require replacing the Vee bar with a substitute (similar to the aftermarket JK setup). Just fit the cooler so it is no closer than the Vee bar. Size depends on use. Desert or dunes need a larger unit and more issues with fit.
PaulW
===========
I found this kit on another forum with a great write up. The author there also was advised to add a guard of some type. His is mounted in the "stock" location. Just behind the skid and on the frame. vsaid he never had a problem. Now mine is higher up and farther back. So it should be ok. :wink2: But maybe a mesh cover wouldn't hurt! Unfortunately I don't have time to do that before we leave:frown2:

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although I have a different transmission than stock jeep owners this kit applies to stockers. The kit has supplied brackets that allow mounting to the frame. Wont work with a long arm suspension . Nor will it work with the Nth TT skid plate. Here is how I made it work.

When I tried to find the actual output port on the 6L90 transmission I kept finding threads about installs and ALL of them said this was a supplemental cooler, in-line with the factory cooler. I had an oh shi* moment because I had already removed the cooler that I imported from the truck donor. After a call to Deraler I found that this cooler and fan was quite acceptable as a replacement I tried several time to get the kit hose AN fitting to seal up to my transmission and could not. Just so happened that the SS braided lines from the truck fit nicely with the relocated cooler and didn't leak at all.. Unfortunately, I lost a quart of fluid after finding leaks with the kit hoses and can't get any more until tomorrow for a test drive!

quit is spelled quit not quite!! Damn autocorrect>:)
And as a bonus you've removed some heat from the rad by not running the tranny fluid through it. Should help the process!

I've been aching to mount a cooler on the hood with flexible SS lines and fan. Think I saw a Porsche in Kenny Bell's book with one mounted like that and it struck a key...
And the guy that did the write up admitted he damaged the thing on is first trip.
Underneath is an inherently bad place for off road use, what with all the mud, sticks and rocks thrown up by you tires.
Do you know that several vendors sell a cooler that fits in front of the radiator? A few mods are required. but basically the requirement is a 4" thick unit. Some of the larger coolers would require replacing the Vee bar with a substitute (similar to the aftermarket JK setup). Just fit the cooler so it is no closer than the Vee bar. Size depends on use. Desert or dunes need a larger unit and more issues with fit.
PaulW
===========
[quote I found this kit on another forum with a great write up. The author there also was advised to add a guard of some type. His is mounted in the "stock" location. Just behind the skid and on the frame. he said he never had a problem. Now mine is higher up and farther back. So it should be ok. :wink2: But maybe a mesh cover wouldn't hurt! Unfortunately I don't have time to do that before we leave:frown2:
[/QUOTE]

Interesting Paul. I just talked to him and he said he had no trouble. He added a guard and then said it was totally unnecessary. Must be a different person.

I had one in front on the v bar and it blocked air flow to the other condensers/radiator.That is why took it out. I like what I now have and in 4 days we leave for 7 weeks in Moab, Colorado, and Arizona. We'll see how it works.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
In some ways I agree with pwmac. I looked under mine and would be major paranoid that I'd hit something just right (wrong?) and do damage to the cooler. A mesh screen would be cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In some ways I agree with pwmac. I looked under mine and would be major paranoid that I'd hit something just right (wrong?) and do damage to the cooler. A mesh screen would be cheap insurance.

We'll see. Haven't got time for that before we leave.:wink2:

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Mesh screen would easily mitigate most of the debris kicked up but I would be more worried about driving in muddy water, you could get sand packed in the fins. On the other hand, it could be easily cleaned with a hose. Frank - maybe a good backup plan would be some way of bypassing the cooler in case it did holed? Steve at Moab Outpost could fix you up with a hose and a couple of AN fittings.

My tranny cooler is under the master cylinder and out of the way but that's with the GenRight inner/outer fenders.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mesh screen would easily mitigate most of the debris kicked up but I would be more worried about driving in muddy water, you could get sand packed in the fins. On the other hand, it could be easily cleaned with a hose. Frank - maybe a good backup plan would be some way of bypassing the cooler in case it did holed? Steve at Moab Outpost could fix you up with a hose and a couple of AN fittings.

My tranny cooler is under the master cylinder and out of the way but that's with the GenRight inner/outer fenders.
JC the cooler is easily bypassed by just unplugging one of the lines from the cooler and running it into the tranny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts