Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't do the Rubicon with a stock Rubi, but are there other trails in the area that offer scenery and a little adventure?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just today did the Poker Flat Trail in my stock 05 TJ Rubi with my wife.

The area is in the heart of the 1849 gold Rush country. Mostly easy dirt roads that are carved out of the steep mountain sides except the drop into the canyon where it is definitely 4 wheeling.

Where: North of Lake Tahoe...Take Hwy 89 from Truckee to Hwy 49 and over to Downiville to the start. Then about a 5 hour ride on dirt roads and canyon 4 wheeling over to La Porte.

Might be a lot of driving though. The only tough section is down a gnarly very steep old road into the canyon to Poker Flat and back up the other side. The Stock Rubi had no trouble.

Time: Total time was 12 hours from the time leaving home in Reno and returning. We did stop for brunch in Downiville and also stop for photo oportunities. Also paved road from La Porte to Hyw 70 and back to 89.

Link: http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=46

BTW the Rubicon trail is extreme. I wouldn't want to beat up my stock Jeep trying it. Motorcycling it was enough.

·
Registered
962 Posts
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1601-how-to-survive-the-rubicon-trail-your-first-time/

Sure you can do the Rubicon trail in a stocker. While doing the trail on a dirt bike saw several vehicles being towed out due to broken axle or differential.

If you are with a support group that is prepare to tow you, give it a go. Although you can expect some body damage.

One guy with a new $100k extreme off-road custom "Jeep" had a couple of deep scars on the vehicles sides on his maiden ride. He wasn't upset, he would just drop it off at the body shop on the way home. I'm not that rich so would have to live with my scars.

One important thing talked about in the link above. The trail is tough on the human body too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We will pass on the Rubicon. I have seen part of it with my own eyes and more of it on Youtube. With 31's, just no way I am willing to do it. We are just passing through the area. A breakdown would be a lot more problematic for us than a "local". My wife has trouble getting in and out with the 31's, so taller is not an option for us. We have to content ourselves with lesser adventures. But, thanks for suggestion and also for Poker Flats. It's on the The Maze for us next month.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Signal Peak trail is near Fordyce, and is a very scenic trail.
A stock Rubi should have no problems there.
Some folks think it's a difficult trail but a stock Rubi with working lockers
and good tires will have no problem with an experienced driver.
I've done it and it was a piece of cake.

http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=82

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like revisiting these old threads. This one is just needing the addition of the second best trail at Tahoe. Blackwood Canyon 4x4 Road and Ellis Peak Trail - Lake Tahoe
I ran it two summers ago in my stock JLR. It was a nostalgic run for me. I lived in Tahoe City in the 70's and ran a FJ40 thru the areas trails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts