Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was reading about Ram trucks software to mitigate trailer sway and that led me to this video
I never really thought about tongue weight before.
Are you using the factory hitch on your Jeep and what is it rated for. I thought they were 500lbs. Not that they cannot handle the load but you don't want to be sidelined by a Mountie, er, Highway patrol?

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was reading about Ram trucks software to mitigate trailer sway and that led me to this video
I never really thought about tongue weight before.
Are you using the factory hitch on your Jeep and what is it rated for. I thought they were 500lbs. Not that they cannot handle the load but you don't want to be sidelined by a Mountie, er, Highway patrol?
My hitch weight should be in the neighbor hood of 100-125 lbs. that’s well under the 500 lb. yes I have the factory hitch.
to correctly set up a bumper pull trailer you want about 10% of the weight of the trailer on the hitch. So I’m guessing once I get it done and loaded with the stuff I’ll keep in the tool box etc the trailer will be right at 1,100 lbs. So 110 lb on the hitch.
I did the bumper pull rv trailer thing for a while. I ended up buying a hitch scale to make sure I had the proper hitch weight. If it was too heavy you can move stuff around in the trailer. On that trailer the hitch weight needed to be around 950-975 lbs.
BUT. only about half of that is actually on the ball cause of the Weight Distribution Hitch that is needed for Travel trailers. When you buy a rated hitch receiver for a vehicle it’ll say something like 500 lb tongue weight/1,000 with weight distribution. These scales aren’t cheap, but I’ve used it a lot.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That scale is $130!! LOL. But it has come in handy. I even checked my old LJR on each corner to see if one side was heavier than the other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OT and please excuse me if it's been offered up before as I am mostly an occasional lurker,...

1340 and Bakersfield , round engine? and plane or tank

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OT and please excuse me if it's been offered up before as I am mostly an occasional lurker,...

1340 and Bakersfield , round engine? and plane or tank
LOL. Not sure what round engine is.
I used to ride Harleys for many years. The Evo engine was 1340 cc.
I was a tank driver and gunner back in the day as well.
I don’t do planes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Apologies, I knew the evo was a 1340 of sorts as well (have been through many renditions of Harleys also), but for some reason when it comes to American motors, be it cars, bikes, or airplanes my mind shifts to CI's instead of CC's. And come to think of it, I think the old sherm motor was a 985?
Anyways, apologies again for the thread drift. Well thought out trailer! The articulating hitch is a neat concept. I wonder how it will tow at road speeds?

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Apologies, I knew the evo was a 1340 of sorts as well (have been through many renditions of Harleys also), but for some reason when it comes to American motors, be it cars, bikes, or airplanes my mind shifts to CI's instead of CC's. And come to think of it, I think the old sherm motor was a 985?
Anyways, apologies again for the thread drift. Well thought out trailer! The articulating hitch is a neat concept. I wonder how it will tow at road speeds?
Oh, got ya. The Sherman used a couple engine layout. Dual engine, Big Giant Ford.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got it wired up today. I’ll need to put a brake controller and 7 pin plug in the JK.
just need to plumb the air line for the air bags. Then I’ll be looking at what to use on the floor and walls inside. I’m thinking of ripping some 2x6 redwood to 7/8” thick for the floor and put steel strips in like the old pickups had. Perhaps I can use the remaining + or - 1/2” from ripping the 2x6’s on the walls.
Any better ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
R975 was a radial 9 cylinder “airplane” engine used in many Sherman’s.
Shermans used 4 different engines. The R975 was used quite a bit by the USA.GM built a side by side 2 stroke diesel power pack that used 2 GM engines. (6049) Not used a lot by us, but many tanks under the lend lease went to Russia. Chrysler engineers took LSD and came up with the A57 power pack. They took 5 inline 6 engines and mounted them in a radial configuration. They worked well. But were complicated so most went to the British. The best engine was the huge Ford V8 GAA.
Tidbit. The tank used in the movie Fury is a diesel version M4A2E8. The A2 refers to the diesel side by side engine. The E8 refers to the updated suspension system. “Easy 8”.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks. I’ll start putting the redwood floor in this next week. I’m ripping 2x6 redwood from 1 1/2” thick to 7/8” for the floor and the remaining 1/2” approximately will go on the sides. I need to weld a couple pieces of flat plate for bolt areas for the wood. Then I’ll build a traditional 2” ball hitch, get it weighed and tagged.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wow, that's thick flooring Bob.
Yes it is, but I see lots of 3/4" floors. 7/8" redwood isn't near as structural as 3/4" plywood. We enjoy stealing rocks from the desert. The State guys get sort of pissy if you steal rocks. I don't want a big rock bouncing on the floor and breaking the wood.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah, hand out open mining permits but arrest the poor Jeeper doing a little rock hounding.

Reactions: mac

·
Administrator
11,207 Posts
LOL. We have Jeeping friends that live in Montrose, CO. They like to rock hound in the San Juan mountains (Ouray, Silverton, Black Bear Pass, etc.), they only gather about a 5 gallon bucket at a time apparently due to the rock cops.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So I tried to cut 7/8" boards from a 2X6 redwood board. No so much fun without a band saw. Table saw ain't going to cut the mustard. So what I did was to laminate a piece of 1/2" exterior grade Plywood to some 5/8" exterior grade paneling. Looks good. It's the 8" stuff. Cutting it to fit was a big pain as I had to cut, test fit, cut, test fit like 63 times. Just taking forever for the rustoleum paint to dry in this cold and wet. It'll get mounted down via galvanized carrage bolts.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts