Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started this almost 10 years ago. Life got in the way, but I’m rocking and rolling now. The tub is the same basically as a LJ. It has brakes, shocks, air bags, 3 axis hitch.

sort of a military theme. I mixed up my own OD paint using rustoleum products.
still a bunch of finish stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started this almost 10 years ago. Life got in the way, but I’m rocking and rolling now. The tub is the same basically as a LJ. It has brakes, shocks, air bags, 3 axis hitch. View attachment 75408
sort of a military theme. I mixed up my own OD paint using rustoleum products.
still a bunch of finish stuff. I also have a 2” ball hitch for it.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m painting WW2 black stars on the sides. The rear will have “B-31” on the drivers side and “2/64” on the left. That was the designation on my M60a1 tank back in the day. Originally the trailer was going to be the same yellow as my ‘06 LJ. But in Mostaliner bed liner. It’s called Urine Trouble. I couldn’t justify the cost. And my current Jeep isn’t yellow. So I took a qt of Rustoleum Hunter Green, added a pint of their rusty metal red primer and a pint of their flat white. Custom OD green. I rolled it on. I have spray equipment but that Rustoleum rolls on very good.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a crappy confusing pic. But this is my 3 axis hitch.

the trailer tongue sits very high. With this hitch you can sit the trailer at a 180 degree angle no issue other than tearing paint off. I’ve off tossed with a ball hitch before. Those have very limited articulation. I once tore the ball hitch off pulling a trailer behind my old trusty CJ-5. The brain gears went into action back then. I had to drag the trailer home via the chains.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Looks good, I like it! I've always wanted an off road trailer. I keep telling myself I'll build one as soon as I learn how to weld. Still haven't bought a welder........

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll get some more pics today of it from other angles. I'll get the adjustable hitch on so you can see what that looks like. The drawbar is really high off the ground. Of course the jack gets tossed in the tool box while towing. I have to do the wiring and air line install. I need to put a brake controller in the JKUR. I'll get it weighed for tags. Then I have to mess with DMV which is covid closed to get it tagged.
I only towed this 8 miles in 10 years, we moved across town.
LOL, 10 years, when I built it I designed it for replaceable spindles in the event one breaks. But I only bought 2!. Now I have no idea what size they are so I'll have to take one off and order a spare.
The Fender flares, tailgate hinges, license plate holder and front corners came off my 2006 LJR. My son owns that now. The tail lamps are like the LJ had.
I have fairly nice paint spraying equipment, but I would of had to set up a place to paint which would be a hassle. So I used 4" foam rollers. Those work really better than I ever though with rustoleum paint. The tool box is off a pickup I had back in 2002. The clear coat was about off the aluminum so prepping it was not a lot of work. I sprayed etching primer on first then rolled on the homemade OD paint.
So when you see thse guys rolling on Rustoleum on their cars on YouTube don't laugh till you try it. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The butt side. Hinges and license plate holder came off my old LJR yellow Jeep. The tub is built to the same size as the Yellow Jeep tub, but is a couple inches wider so the flares (which came off the yellow Jeep) would cover the tires. I ordered some new hinge covers. Old ones walked away during our move.
note the receiver in the bumper. Should I get in a real pickle I can disco the hitch from the front and hook it to the rear and tow it to safe ground.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I weighed what I have so far. I put the Jack on the bathroom scales. 85 lbs at the Jack. I used a trailer hitch scales at the center of the axle. I had to sort of balance the trailer but I’m sure the weight is close. So the second scale read 775. So as is it weighs 860! Heavier than I though. By the time I put the flooring in and put some junk in the trunk it’ll be 1,000. So at 1,000 lbs it’ll have a cargo capacity of 2,500 lbs.
glad it has brakes.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BTW, the 1,000 lb weight isn't too bad. The Smittybilt trailers weigh like 1400 I think

1 - 20 of 35 Posts