Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Dont know what my Jeep weighs so I'll have to weigh it next time Im around a scale. I do know that my truck( 08 chevy 1 ton 4x4 longbox extended cab duramax allison), camper ( 06 Lance 915=9'6"), Trailer (02 C&B 18' 10K) and Jeep (03 Rubicon) fully loaded up and ready for a long weekend of Jeepin with Passenger and dog weighs in at just over 17,000lbs

·
Registered
16 Posts
3940 pounds. No top, 1/2 tank of fuel, no tools, no recovery gear, no back seat, Bestop Element tube doors on, 35" tires on alloy wheels, 35" spare tire on Bestop tub mounted tire carrier, Savvy alum. GTS, UCF steel TC skid, small cheapo Smitty Classic bumpers, Warn XD9000i on RC steel winch plate, MCE plastic flatty front fenders.

Hauling on a PJ 18' dovetail 7000# rated trailer. I think I'm ok as long as I don't pack too much extra junk in the Jeep.

I guess I should go weigh my trailer now.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Mine weighed 4,480 with no one in it, hooked up behind our RV.

I'm sure it weighs more now, with the gas cans and hi-lift mounted and my toolbox.

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
Mine weighed in at 4700 pounds - wet like I would drive it on the trail (tools, spare nuts/bolts, etc.)

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
I weighed our LJ a few years ago either with 33s or 35s and carrying a spare - think we came in at 4600 pounds ready to hit the trail. Now I'm on 37s and no spare.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mines about 6600 lbs with what I keep in it 24/7.
I don't even know its behind my MH as its 53k lbs with 515/1650 hp/tq

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
Your coach must have the Cummins ISX with that much HP and torque, ours has has the Cummins ISL 400/1200. You really should consider hauling your Jeep on a trailer, hauling it 4 down is really hard on the front tires and your drive train is always running (unless you have hubs.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
John, its a Cat C15, JK...check my sig....no issue running 4 down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been flat towing my JLR with 37"Cooper M/T tires for 25,000 plus and it's odometer shows another 14K and they look beautiful. My little RV weighs 11,200 and the weight of my JLR isn't that noticeable. A 2 MPG hit 11/12 vs 13/14 and 5th gear vs 6th on the steepest interstate grades in the west of the Missippi states mountains.
June 2019
tiger & jl snowy ridge pass wy.jpg

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
John, its a Cat C15, JK...check my sig....no issue running 4 down.
Ah, that's a big boy engine - missed that in your signature. Cat stopped supplying engines to anything other than construction equipment quite a few years ago. Good that you have a side radiator (mine is also), the front of the engine is easy to service and it doesn't get as filthy as a rear radiator.

We flat towed our former Jeep Liberty (diesel) for 80,000 miles, it did quite well aside from you can't back up. When we started trailing our Rubi, it was great that we could back up. Several times we would be in a truck stop at the fuel pumps and a lane next to us would open up, so we back up and move to the open lane. The doofus truck driver that was in front of us didn't bother to pull up when he was done fueling, what a jerk. Had that happen several times over the years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ya I thought about the backing up issue but I can unhook in a about 60 sec's.
I hate trailers I've had to many flats with them. So I drive to any trail that is a days drive or less. Longer then its MH time.
That and what to do with the trailer when their isn't extra room.
Only draw back has been disconnecting the DS from the D80 but that's getting fixed with the new flat tow Atlas in a month or so.

MPG's...only time I see any change is pulling a hill but the overall trip seems to stay the same...6.5-7.5 mpg's:eek:

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
The group I wheel with has some hard core wheelers and sometimes damage is so bad the Jeep has to be trailered out, I liked the ability to trailer the Jeep somewhere if it was broken. Very few of that group flat towed.

I did have a bunch of trailer tire blowouts, one of them blew off the removable fender on my Featherlite trailer. All of those tires were Chinese crap, even the premier Maxxis tires. I found light truck (LT) tires that fit the trailer, those are 1000x better than trailer tires.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To have a trailer or flat tow would be a great option. I'd have to pay to store a trailer. I'm a need more land and fewer cattle kind of outfit.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts