Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm going to pick up a 5 x 10 utility trailer (830lbs) since I sold my truck and still need to haul crap. In the past, I used my stock 05 Rubicon to pull a few trailers and it pulled well for a two door Jeep. Slow and steady with plenty of distance for braking. My new to me JK 2D has an AEV 3.5 Dualsport lift. Any one who pulls with a lifted 2 door have advice? I'm assuming it will be similar to my 05 except a little more sensitive to driver input. Thanks
2020_Summit_Alpine_5X10_Single_Axle_WSplit_Ramp_Utility_Trailer_6w9CPg.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The center of my hitch receiver is 24" off the ground and the trailer coupler is 13" off the ground when the trailer is level. I purchased a Reese ball mount with 11" of drop. "Should" be close to level but I won't know till I pick it up Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Don’t forget the Jeep will squat relative to tongue weight.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point! I can't believe I didn't factor in the tongue weight. I may have purchased a mount with too much drop.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a 6x10 I tow with my JKU. . I fill my tires to at least 35 and when empty it tows like a dream when I approach the max GVW then you have to go slow. It pulls okay but our brakes just are not meant for this.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I towed with my '05 2 door unlimited to excess ..... 3500 lb rating exceeded, grossly! I've pulled 3800 lb '79 Trans Am on a 1500 lb car trailer for hundreds of miles.... (I do not condone or recommend that).
- Same for my 2300 lb Chevy Vegas, 2100 lb Miatas and air-cooled VWs.
Trailer brakes are the ONLY way to tow loads!!!!!!
I also pull a 6x10 & 6x12 utility trailer for lawn mower, HD motorcycles (TN to Daytona, FL & TN to Myrtle Beach, SC). Sod pallets, river rock, pavers, camping gear.... really EVERYTHING!!!
With that being said, proper loading (tongue weight) will make it as safe as you can physically get. Also, trailer brakes will be an additional bonus for about $200-300 off Ebay.
Driver input goes a looooong way in trailering safety. Brake early and leave plenty of braking distance.
Seems you already have a handle on that. Trailer brakes, trailer brakes, trailer brakes!
I'm adding trailer brakes to my new 6x12 soon.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I occasionally tow light loads with the LJ .... now the 2500 Suburban gets the heavy jobs. Lol... lawn mower, heavy!!! Lol.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Peep my current utility trailer mods .... as mentioned, trailer brakes soon.
My buddy has a new set on the shelf just needs one drum.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Any pics of you towing the Space Shuttle? Nice toys and LJ!
Lol... no pics, but how's this?
My neighbor's son rings my door bell one afternoon. Says his truck won't pull his trailer and another truck on said trailer up the hill of our subdivision. Asked if I could drive the unloaded truck up and he'd drive the tow rig up.
I said, "Hold on, let me get shoes."
Now, the hill is soooo steep, the county refused to take it over and the city actually annexed AROUND our subdivision.... because they didn't want to deal with it.
We hop in the Jeep and drive down the 1/8 mile steep hill.
I hooked up to his Chevy GMT400 1500 with a 4.3 V6 & 5-speed. I shift into low range and pull the 1500 pickup, pulling a car hauler trailer with an S10 pick up on the trailer.
Of course it was slow going, so shift to 2nd, then 3rd and eventually 4th near the top, leveling off.
He could not believe a six cylinder could pull like that. That's when I explained mechanical advantage and gear ratios to him.

I've really pulled stuff to excess with this thing.
As I said, I don't recommend nor do I condone such stupid behavior. I eventually wisened up and bought a real tow rig.
My point is ...... if you're careful and knowledgeable, you might just get lucky and not kill yourself .... or someone else.

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
^^ Great story! ^^ You are so right about trailer brakes, you don't want the load to push the tow rig. I've seen accidents where the tow starts whipping around and the driver loses control. I wonder if that's due to improper tongue loading.

·
Registered
562 Posts
^^ Great story! ^^ You are so right about trailer brakes, you don't want the load to push the tow rig. I've seen accidents where the tow starts whipping around and the driver loses control. I wonder if that's due to improper tongue loading.
John, improper tongue weight is a HUGE contributor to trailer "whipping" .... if not the most important factor.

Eventhough I have towed to excess with great success, there have been a failure and a learning curve.
One such failure required a modification of the trailer axle position to proper load the tongue with 2 motorcycles on my old 6x8 utility trailer. It was a "tilt" trailer putting the axle ahead of center to allow for easier tilting/dumping. HUGE lesson learned ... the test run was almost catastrophic.

Check this demonstration on tongue weight causing "whipping" :

1 - 20 of 21 Posts