Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a Top speed limiter like all our Chevy's have. I thought I may have hit it the other day. And before you all start flaming me on why in the world would you go that fast with a Jeep. Well, some times you just need to speed, esp. on the highways in CT.

Be nice...
Damon

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, a good stiff headwind will definately limit your top speed. :p

Oh, that's not what you meant is it? :roll:

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
hmmmmmmm
i kinda rem reading kicked in around 90mph..
so what did top speed feel like..
ive had mine up to 85mph..downhill wind in my back.
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
I had mine up to 80 today, then again speed limit was 75. Still got past by a semi and a geo metro. Scary on the second.

Ron

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hit the limiter running late on my way to work one night :oops:

I think it was 90mph, felt like the engine died.

Don't have to worry about that now with the 35s and stock gears :wink:

Tim

G

·
0 Posts
There is definitely a limiter. I hit it just above 90 mph. The engine just stops producing power. It seemed to stay that way until I let up on the throttle (and pushed down again).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah when I hit mine it sorta freaked me to, I have heard that you can use a scanner to get rid of it, like they do on the Chevy's we have at work. It does suck, becuase I often go just a tad over that. My Blazer is a joke to, it craps out at 95. When my GF got it the Rubi she was like, ahh it only goes up to a 100 (looking at speedo) I said please, it does not even do that. Ohh well

Damon

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
wierd, I've hit 95 in my rubi and had power leftover. then again, I have an auto, perhaps they differ?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The rev limiter is really there to prevent you from driving faster than the speed rating on the tires.........

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
The rev limiter is there to keep you from burning up the engine and tranny. Has nothing to do with tires. You would never get close to the rev limiter in a Jeep in top gear. I think at my fastest speed I am under 3K RPM. Rev limiter is at 5K or so.
They are talking about the speed limiter which is the max speed the Jeep is allowed to travel.

Brian

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was not all that clear in my post...I was refering to all vehicles in general. I have a 4X4 work truck that the rev limiter kicks in at 156 km/h yet the same truck with the same engine tranny combo in the 2 wd driver version has the rev limiter kick in at 190 km/h. I talked to the dealer about it and they told me the chip is programed to the speed rating of the tires that originally came equiped with the vehicle. On my MR2 the rev limiter hits in at 500 rpm over red line to prevent engine damage...with a manual tranny you can easliy test the rev limiter.

G

·
0 Posts
:twisted:
Yep,found mine about 91 mph. Could be a whole lot of fun in the right circumstances! :evilbat:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You need to find the limiter @ 140MPH..that is what happened to me in my street car.. Scared the SH&$ out of me. :?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey you...Pull over!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Vulcan said:
Hey you...Pull over!

I have seen many of those in my rear view mirror..... :shock:

Then I worked for them and it was much easier to speed :wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's kind of ironic that you would show a picture of a Mounty in the top speed thread. A couple weeks back I was "stretching my legs" in the Jeep and I got pulled over in Saskatchewan doing 130 in a 100 zone. Ooops. Considering the shape of the roads in Saskatchewan, they need my handouts. I wonder if I can claim that on my taxes as a charitable donation?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
Considering the shape of the roads in Saskatchewan, they need my handouts. I wonder if I can claim that on my taxes as a charitable donation?

:atabove: :rofl: :lolbonk:

That is so true

1 - 19 of 19 Posts