Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else with a Tomb Raider Rubi? All I really need is to lift this thing and put 33's, or 35's... There is soo many options... Too many.... maybe that's why I procrastinate. It's got 16" rims with 31" tires stock, and there is decent clearance, but of course, I need more!! I want to go 4.5" long arm with 35's, but do I really need that? I also want to be able to drive this thing to & from trails comfortably on the freeway. I need a beam of light from the Rubi Gods to steer me right...

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
4.5'' LA and 33'' is a great lift /tire setup....
add 1'' BL and 35'' tires will fit.

RE LA the ride is sweet the flex is awsome
gone is the Jeep wobble effect.
:wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4.5" lift with 33's

hmmmmm.... excellent. Thanks for the info. I understand I do not need to modify transfer case or driveshaft. Is this correct? How about brake lines?
Would lifting the body 1" affect the stick shift heighth inside?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Re: 4.5" lift with 33's

jimblackmax said:
hmmmmm.... excellent. Thanks for the info. I understand I do not need to modify transfer case or driveshaft. Is this correct? How about brake lines?
Would lifting the body 1" affect the stick shift heighth inside?
Thanks
If you do a RE 4.5 you will need a new driveshaft. You will get brakelines from the RE kit. I run the RE 4.5 SF kit I got from TJ Outfitters (mshelton) and just put it in myself..it is definately doable for a novice. I did it, and it was my first. Email me ifyou got questions.
Pete M

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Lothos said:
How hard is it to go from the 4.5 SF to the LA later?
simple as paying the feeeeeeeeeeee.
:wink:
once you go LA you never go back.
:D

G

·
0 Posts
Just one more note.....

Some of us did not go long arm....

So far so good with my crazy high RE SA solution.
It drives downright sweet on the road, and so far is just amazing on the trails!!!!

Just so you know, if I'd had the big bucks, I would of probably went long arm too. Now that it is all done, I see no reason for it at all, so we shall see how I feel in the future about it.

Red Cone Pass, Spring Creek, Carnage (Boulder one), and Crystal Mtn here in Colorado under it's belt. I sure can't wait to get it to Moab, or Farmington now that the new suspension is on it.

I'm supposed to run Chinaman's Gultch / The other new more revered Carnage on Sunday. I'm hope'n I get my replacement axels from Mopar Direct by then, if not, I am running it anyways.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I am still tempted to do the SA as well but not because I don't have the cash. I prefer to stay near a bolt on repair point as possible where with the LA kit you've cut and welded your LCA's and such from stock and thus are stuck so to speak.

G

·
0 Posts
There will be some increased maintanence on the short arms, but dang it flex's like a $%$%^$#%^&&**&(.

Word to the wise, add teraflex rear shock re-locators (No welding), and add the rear tack bar and CV style braket.

I have to admit, I was sweating it bad installing my kit, not just with vehicles in particular but everything in general, things like this never work out well for me. But it did this time!!!!! So I guess I can't say never anymore... lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moab Steel bender

I was in Moab in may of this year before I got my Jeep. My brother has a Sport which at the time had a budget 2" lift and 31" tires... No other mods. We did some amazing things on a trails called "steel bender"---it was rated a 3 of 4 on diffuculty and and the slickrock trail -rated 4 I believe.We really had no business being on these trails alone, without a wench, high lift, etc, etc, etc. But through the stacking of rocks and me on the bumber to prevent rollage, we conquerred!!!! This trip inspired me to buy my tomb raider and I have been totally obsessed since. We plan a yearly voyage to the Moab, (April / May is the best time of year)and plan to do the moab rim and Pritchet canyon trails,.. which both looked hairy. To see these trailsgo to:
http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Ran the 4.5 SF SA and loved it (had to run a new rear driveshaft). However this time around I will be going with the 5.5 LA no doubt! Some say they don't think it's worth it, I beg to differ. I look forward to the ride and stability the lift has to offer not to mention the heigth. You can upgrade from the SA to the LA but look for it to cost ya about $1200, ouch! Consider saving that little extra and make the splurge for the LA.

Once you do the lift make sure you check everything regularly and watch that rear track bar bracket, I had mine welded on and it still broke loose. This was the major flaw of the kit IMO. Comes with nice stainless steel brake lines and you'll need to take measurements for a rear driveshaft. I suggest dealing with a supplier rather than RE directly simply becaue the customer service sucks, and I say this because often you come across know-it-all reps. Goodluck, Brian.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lockwood-Miller Jeep trail

Thanks for all the helpful info,....I appreciate the honest opinions and help this site has to offer. So far it looks like the LA set up is the way to go; however, welding things makes me a bit nervous. I will research ways around welding. Meanwhile.... my stock Rubicon crawled the Lockwood -Miller Jeep trail without difficulty except for one spot at the top end of the trail where an off - camber approach high centerred me on a rock. I dented my rocker guard (small dent) unseen from side view. I guess a LA set up in this case would have either cleared, or I would have bent one of the arms. Do the long arms ever get in the way of rocks??

Oh,... and by the way..... If you have a chance to do the Miller Jeep trail.... it's a solid 5 miles of rock crawling staggerred in-between a 15 mile trail. It is rated as difficult. It's just above Magic Mountain off the Interstate 5 Fwy in So California. The best I've found so far this side of Moab!!!!!!!! Of course I have not gotten to the Rubicon Trail.... yet.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Re: Lockwood-Miller Jeep trail

the arms kinda slide over the rockz....
:D

lived in so cal 20 yrs.
lots of great wheeling in ca.
just cant stand the politics... :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
There are a couple of benefits of the long arms

1) No Tire Pick
Gun it and cut the wheel and you will keep all 4 on the ground. Short arm kits tend to raise the inner tire
2) Better stability at higher lift height on and off road
3) Climbing objects, the long arms dont push the object you are trying to get on top of.
4) Protection for your driveshafts. The Long arms hang down slightly lower than your driveshafts and give you some added protection.

You can install the long arm kit without welding, but it is recommended that you do weld in the sleeves in the 1" holes you cut for the t-case skid.

There are some quirks with the lower height kits.
1) the 3.5" springs are softer than the 4.5 and 5.5 ones which can become an issue if you have alot of heavy additions
2) on the 3.5 and 4.5 the front trackbar will hit the diff cover. Work around is to install a RE 1600 front trackbar or currie without the drop bracket.

Once you break 3" of lift, you will need a new DS

HTH

If you have the money, get the Long Arm. You wont need or want to go back to the stock arms.

BTW- Why is this in Drivetrain tech???

G

·
0 Posts
Tomb Raider #815

I too have a Tomb Raider, and live in Southern Cal. Although the politics are progressive for some, the proximity to Baja (as well as the weather) are both irresistable. I have yet to run Miller Jeep Trail, but I will soon - I'm worried about scuffing those nice Alcoas on the rocks. I will probably do a Black Diamond 3" SA lift once a little $ comes into the picture. This along w/a 1" B/L are my plan for running 33" treads. Mine is a daily driver w/70 mi in daily commuting. Weekend trails include - San Bernardino Mtns, 29 Palms area, Anza Borrego, and of course, Baja!

With the lift, will you run 2" wheel spacers w/your Alcoas, or ditch these for other forged rims? How do you like the 4 Hellas? Mine put out about 1/2 the light as my 150w KC Daylighers, but, w/much less wind resistance to keep mileage more bearable. Well, include pix of the Tomb Raider when you get a chance.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Ken

G

·
0 Posts
jimblackmax said:
Any one else with a Tomb Raider Rubi? All I really need is to lift this thing and put 33's, or 35's... There is soo many options... Too many....
Tonight I finally sold my Ford Ranger pickup. Some of the cash will go towards a 3" Black Diamond lift (I suppose). My rig is a Tomb Raider #815 and I want it to be the only one of its kind in Southern California - so, with a Black Diamond lift and 285s, I should be doing okay as far as I am concerned. Why 3"? My garage won't allow much more room for the Hella FF55s mounted on the lightbar! :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Although I don't have a Rubi, I have a Sport with the RE 5.5 LA and wouldn't trade it for any other lift. I first had the Tera 3" and didnot get much flex. But now I flex like crazy. It's true you do have to cut stuff off, like your stock arm mounts, but one benefit is added clearance. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts