Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
LOL I don't have a woody yet but by x-mas I'll have one and will upgrade to superiors. Least so far that is my plan. :)

Mo

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
DS should come with all new U-Joints...For the $$ it better.

I can get you a CV DS and Yoke conversion for around $300 US. 1330 U-Joints. All I need is your measurements.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
my "woody" has #1310 u joints

quote taken from Tom Woods web site

"U joint differences"

""Spicer u-joints are the best and worth asking for. Independent testing done by Warn Industries found that as far as sheer breaking strength, the closest competitor was 85 percent of the Spicer and the other brands went down from there ""

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LILRDJP said:
I can get you a CV DS and Yoke conversion for around $300 US. 1330 U-Joints. All I need is your measurements.
ok, now i'm curious, from where?

and mac (or anyone), what is your opinion on this statement from high angle driveline:

"Our solution to the problem the bottom beefy shaft is an upgrade - not a down grade like some other competitors offer - 1310 c/v's do not belong on these rigs with 4-1 gearing and 35" tires - your just welcoming breakage on the trail- "

do you think "1310 cv's" specifically means the u-joints? sorry i know nothing about shafts except whats in my shorts.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
LILRDJP said:

and mac (or anyone), what is your opinion on this statement from high angle driveline:

"Our solution to the problem the bottom beefy shaft is an upgrade - not a down grade like some other competitors offer - 1310 c/v's do not belong on these rigs with 4-1 gearing and 35" tires - your just welcoming breakage on the trail- "

do you think "1310 cv's" specifically means the u-joints? sorry i know nothing about shafts except whats in my shorts.
my thinking....
is the Rubi or any Jeep is not made for a (1 ton shaft)<---edit in size.
thats looking for damage to other componets...
the 1310 i quoted is the U-joints.
and TW woddy is a 1/2 ton shaft....
can go bigger but be prepared for damage elsewhere.
mac

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Before I bought my Woodie I spoke to Jesse at High Angle Driveline. He definitely know his stuff, but I wasn't convinced that going to his custom solution at the T/C yoke was what I wanted.

I carry my stock driveshaft in the bottom of my tool box. If I ever snap my TW DS, I've got the original as a spare. I think I could swap them out inside of 15 minutes. Couldn't do that with Jesse's DS.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
Local Drivetrain shop 30yrs experience.....Took in the stock shaft and the genious behind the counter made me a sweet shaft. I have a lot of buddies running there shafts and never had a failure. The shaft is built to meet the stock requirements at a sweet price. I am looking at getting these produced and shipping them to who ever would like one.

If you are interested I can send some pix of my set up and specs.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a guy locally who THINKS he/his fabricator can do the same thing you are talking about. he mentioned using some stock parts - that made me wonder if it would be a CV or not, which is what i understand that i need. so i havent gone forward. yours is working, so i may interested in that alternative.

MH

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Ok, I am not understanding. Whats the difference between a 3/4 and a 1/2 ton cv driveshaft? Don't both use 1310 U-joints also? Why would you get more breakage with the 3/4?

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Lothos said:
Ok, I am not understanding. Whats the difference between a 3/4 and a 1/2 ton cv driveshaft? Don't both use 1310 U-joints also? Why would you get more breakage with the 3/4?
my fault..
i ment 1ton shaft with 1330 U-joints.
opppppppppppsssssss

mac

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Ok, I am still confused though :) I have heard nothing but praise for Wood's shafts, but I also submit this:

http://www.sheltonnet.com/jeep/oneton.html

So, what's the opinion here? If you put a 1-ton shaft in you're pretty sure you won't break a shaft, but then again what WILL break when you reach the breaking point?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Lothos said:
Ok, I am still confused though :) I have heard nothing but praise for Wood's shafts, but I also submit this:

http://www.sheltonnet.com/jeep/oneton.html

So, what's the opinion here? If you put a 1-ton shaft in you're pretty sure you won't break a shaft, but then again what WILL break when you reach the breaking point?
Toms is a good quality shaft..I just think it is to much $$$

The breaking point would actually move to the Yoke on the Pinion. That is the common breakage spot...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Is the yoke you refer to the piece bolted to the rear end plate? I would think in the case of the 1-ton with 1330 Ujoints that the weak point would move to the pinion perhaps.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Lothos said:
Is the yoke you refer to the piece bolted to the rear end plate? I would think in the case of the 1-ton with 1330 Ujoints that the weak point would move to the pinion perhaps.
That is what I said......
LILRDJP said:
The breaking point would actually move to the Yoke on the Pinion

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, i ordered a tom woods yesterday. right now i am driving a front wheel drive jeep (no rear drievshaft) because the shaking was ridiculous.

is the woody installation brain dead easy? i dont feel like thinking, its been an awful week.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
is the woody installation brain dead easy? i dont feel like thinking, its been an awful week.
About as easy as it gets. The adapter flange (the wafer shaped thingy with the 8 holes in it) goes on the back of that big lumpy silver box above the bent up black whatchamacallit. The big clubby looking end of the Woodie with the 2 swivel thingamabobs inside it gets bolted to the wafer shaped thingy on the back of the big lumpy silver box. The other end of your Woodie with the shiny new swively thingy with the round ends sticking out goes into the grooves in the forked doodad coming out of the pumpkin lookin lump on yer axle. Don't overtighten the nuts on your u shaped little bendy bolts when you're connecting.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
:lolbonk: That was well done Jerry...

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I have owned.. and will continue to own woodys. Yes, they are not the cheapest. But the personalized customer service I have recieved it worth it.

Justin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts