Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the rubicon CV driveshaft kit from Tom woods is there any adjustability to it at all. In other words if I install a 3 in lift now and get the new driveshaft then go to a 5 inch long arm am I going to have to buy another shaft. I have seen some CV's in catalogues that seem to have like a slip fitting to adjust them to different lengths but I would guess that these are less durable. Everyone out there running the TW DS let me know how it works, please. Most appreciated!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I believe even the TW shaft slips. Usually this is only at full droop. My hunch is no.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
digdugtj said:
With the rubicon CV driveshaft kit from Tom woods is there any adjustability to it at all. In other words if I install a 3 in lift now and get the new driveshaft then go to a 5 inch long arm am I going to have to buy another shaft. I have seen some CV's in catalogues that seem to have like a slip fitting to adjust them to different lengths but I would guess that these are less durable. Everyone out there running the TW DS let me know how it works, please. Most appreciated!
I would have to say NO..The only real way to know is call Tom and ask him if his DS will extend to fit a 5.5" in the future.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All driveshafts must have 'slip' in order to shorten and lenghthen when the rear axle raises and lowers both on the street and trail. Previous Wranglers (and Cherokees, etc.) put the slip section on the yoke- the yoke has splines that slip back and forth on the output shaft of the transfer case. The Rubicon has a fixed yoke, and the splined slip joint is on the driveshaft itself.

The Tom Woods driveshaft is no different, except the 'upgrade' consists of a CV section at the transfer case end of the driveshaft. It is not 'adjustable' per se- in that the allowed travel in the slip joint is set for a specific applicaition (and it's limited travel at that, due to the shortness of a Wranger CV shaft). Once you lift the suspension higher, you will need a longer driveshaft- if you only raise it two inches, you might get by with the current length, but you do run the danger of overextending and possibly pulling it apart or damaging it.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
yes the "WOODY"..... is slip

you can see how much on the shinney spot it moves..

it will not extend enuff for a 5.5'' lift...may be fine for a 4.5''
dont want to be extended out too far.
:wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts