Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I have always kicked myself for not buying an LJ rubicon in 2004.. some of y'all have seen my recent upgrades to my TJ..

1 ton axles, 42's, 3" front stretch and 5" rear stretch..
well, I decided I wanted to stretch my jeep a little more.. I've been going over different ways to do it without losing a lot of the work I have already done..
well, yesterday, I found an LJ body in excellent condition and decided to buy it.. it doesn't come with front fenders, hood, or a windshield, but I don't need that..
the body is in excellent condition..

things I will be able to sell once I get the body bolted on:
poison spyder roll cage
TJ body
rokmen rocker guards
rear comp cut fenders
stretched control arms

things I will need to buy:
rokmen rocker guards
rear corner guard blanks cause I don't want to comp cut the LJ body
build new control arms
lengthen my driveshaft
lengthen the gas tank wires/hoses
build a new roll cage

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
I am seriously considering the same thing. I need some room to do it thought (and probably time). My plan is to keep the Genright TJ tank and do a "stretched" LJ. I would stay on 40's.

Reactions: inline6

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's part of why i'm wanting to go this route.. I can go with a fuel cell and add an extra 5-10" of wheelbase and keep my TJ body.. honestly, I don't like that look.. by going this route, I can keep the jeep body look, I can keep the pure jeep stretch gas tank in the stock location, and I can get the ability to have a stretched LJ..

TJ wheelbase is 94"
LJ wheelbase is 104"

I have already stretched the front 3"..
so factory wheelbase would 107".. then I can do the LJ stretch with the gas tank I am already using and be at 112"..
I also already have the full traction lift, so I can buy the upper triangulated v-bar they make for an LJ stretch, and then build new lower CA's, and that part is done..

I am seriously considering the same thing. I need some room to do it thought (and probably time). My plan is to keep the Genright TJ tank and do a "stretched" LJ. I would stay on 40's.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked into those tubs.. I called and talked to the owner for about 30 minutes and he even e-mailed me some useful info.. he's a very nice guy to chat with..

basically, his tub wouldn't let me utilize my TJ interior parts.. well, anything is possible, BUT!, I want to focus on the fabrication stuff and let the dash and all that be easy..

I don't know what i'm going to do about the vin yet.. I guess I really shouldn't worry about that since I never plan to sell the jeep..

if I can find a cheap LJ frame, I would be interested in buying it and reworking my front & rear coilover brackets & steering box stretch..

this made me go look at the Aqula tub.

Hmmmmmm, how to keep a VIN with a new tub...

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
I hear ya on the dash work for the Aluminum tub.

Curious as to what you do ab out the VIN. One day someone will need to sell it....

New frame and fab work from Wide Open Design for the win.

http://www.wideopendesign.com/Product/11686/TJ-Jeep-Chassis.aspx

they have said multiple times they are willing to do a LJ setup, just need a customer.

Just trying to help you spend money.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just called wod and they have a customer bring his LJ over in march to let them build a design.. that would be a nice way to go, but they build them for LS swaps and I would still end up doing a lot of fab work that I have already done..

as far as the vin, I guess I will need to call my dmv and see what they suggest.. the LJ vin will have a salvage title.. I would prefer not to have that..

I hear ya on the dash work for the Aluminum tub.

Curious as to what you do ab out the VIN. One day someone will need to sell it....

New frame and fab work from Wide Open Design for the win.

http://www.wideopendesign.com/Product/11686/TJ-Jeep-Chassis.aspx

they have said multiple times they are willing to do a LJ setup, just need a customer.

Just trying to help you spend money.

Reactions: inline6

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any updates?
i wish.. i did get a small bead blaster that i plan to use when i get ready to blast the body so i can repaint it silver to match the TJ.. i'm waiting until after my Moab trip in september to really start doing anything.. i think my plan is to get the body blasted and painted silver, bedline the inside of the body, and then start buying things like rocker guards, rear corner armor, and i will probably just add to the OEM cage at first.. then i think i will start tearing the TJ down to get ready to stretch the TJ frame.. as or right now, that's my plan.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update if anyone is even interested:

in 2019, i got a divorce and sold my land, shop, and house and started over.. i built a new shop (bigger - 40x80) and then built a new house.. i'm still working on getting caught back up after the divorce and starting over, but i do still have the tub and plan to buckle down on this project soon..

·
Administrator
11,843 Posts
Of course we're interested! Glad to have you active on ROF so keep everybody updated about your build. My shop slab is 50x50 and 30x50 is the shop with 20x50 for RV parking (coach sold). You will fill up that space before you realize it, I'm sorry I didn't go 50x75 :unsure:.

Reactions: Desert Dog
1 - 16 of 16 Posts