Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about ordering light weight OME 2" front springs (2932) to counter the sag of a winch (1 3/4"). This 05 Rubicon has a belly up skid but the rest is stock plus the added weight for the winch (80 to 90 lbs). (30000 total miles) Winch was a gift from wife so I must keep it. Have 1 3/4" droop from winch from level. Hoping this will level out the jeep. Any other ideas? I know most people use spacers but I'm thinking springs would be better. Thanks for your help. 80% trail 20% on-road.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Is your goal to get back to stock height? If you are looking to get the full lift from those springs you may still need spacers up front. I have the OME heavy springs and needed 3/4" spacers to compensate for bumper/winch weight.
Bill

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Why not just run spacers?

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Having springs that are different spring rates might create so weird handling/ride issues since the front would compress and rebound at different rates. Maybe my thinking is skewed here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
"Is your goal to get back to stock height? If you are looking to get the full lift from those springs you may still need spacers up front. I have the OME heavy springs and needed 3/4" spacers to compensate for bumper/winch weight.
Bill"

I'm looking to get back to stock height, actually I want to level the front to the back, have 1 3/4" droop up front. I have stock 129AB springs up front. Did you need to add bump stops with those spacers? Any coil bind issues? I'm told the OME HD (2933) are the same spring rate (140 lb/in) just slightly longer. I'll measure for shocks later, just looking to level it out.

===================================
"put on a heavy bumper or a gas tank skid to level it out.you are going to need them eventually "

I looked at getting a gas tank skid as the factory one is not that strong and this is where I mostly hit while on the rocks, plus the front lower control arms have taken some hits. Also, this is my fifth jeep, haven't need them yet.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
The only issue with the HD OME springs I ran into is that the rear are side specific. I had nearly a one inch list to starboard. Turns out one rear spring is marked for a specific side. Getting on the wrong side causes a lean.

Sounded strange to me, but that is what the installer found out when he called ARB for help with diagnosis. All is well now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only issue with the HD OME springs I ran into is that the rear are side specific.

Yes, same way with the front OME springs. Front spring kit 2932 has one spring as OME (light) 480mm and the other is 470mm. The Heavy OME front springs 2933 are 480mm and 495mm. Both are rated at 140 lb/in. I'm not planning on putting them on the rear just the front to level the jeep. Rear springs are stock. OME spring rates are quite similar to the 129AB front spring just longer and advertised as a better quality made spring. Also, I noticed the stock 129AB springs left the passenger side slightly lower. Found this out when taking measurements. So I assume OME changed the spring heights to better balance this. This difference in my factory height might also have been changed due to 8 years and 30K miles of use. I bought the jeep new and use it mostly off road. Question, were the spring marked as to left and right sides? Starboard, you must be either in the Navy or a pilot. Not to change the subject but I flew Lear jets as a civilian pilot for the Navy in Italy. Now into things going much slower.

Bottom line is you think I will need to get the longer 2933 HD OME springs in the front to balance the front to the rear.

=============================

Why not just run spacers?

This is the most popular way to adjust for the weight of a winch, however I'm thinking a new spring might just be better in the long run. 30K on old factory springs. Initial sag was only about 1/2" but after a Moab trip it settled at 1 3/4" lower than the rear. This also included the original factory droop. I also noticed my stock original tires (245x75R16) are starting to rub in the front slightly in a full turn. However, a new track bar that was installed has corrected this somewhat, not totally. I got the DW after this trip on the way to the tire store due to a broken value stem on one of the trails. I did not notice any rubbing over the rocks in Moab even with the disconnects undone. I am thinking if I need to adjust the height slightly after the front OME springs are installed then I could further adjust using small spacers. At least these are my thoughts.

===========================

Having springs that are different spring rates might create so weird handling/ride issues since the front would compress and rebound at different rates. Maybe my thinking is skewed here.

I thought about this, thinking about using the 2" pro comp spring but the 170 lb/in rate seemed a little to strong. But maybe with the extra weight this is the way to go. Less sag in the future. They are cheaper and have had good reviews. They are listed as being a 17.87" spring, shorter than the OME.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
The one rear spring had a sticker with a letter identifier, "A" I think. I do not recall which side it was meant for. ARB could give you the full details. I am half a continent from home or I would ask the tech.

Starboard comes from being a cruising sailor. My aviation career was about as low and slow, 32 years as an Army aviator.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Svtotem - Thanks for the information.

I'm still thinking that with the weight currently on the jeep, that is not going to change for awhile, and I'm looking for an additional 1 3/4" lift in the front that any advertised 2" lift spring over a stock spring should work. The OME spring rate is closer to stock than others so it should still ride close to stock and still give me the 1 3/4" plus or minus I'm looking for. Like I said I can make fine adjustments using small spacers on the front or the rear depending on how the spring settles.

If there are additional comments from anyone, please send them, otherwise I think this thread may have exhausted itself. I'll verify clearances, and shock travel and make those changes if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Big Show - Thanks for this reply. (JKS Manufacturing Front Adjustable Coil Over Spacers)

I've read a little about these adjustable spacers and feel this might be the ticket. I'll see how the OME front springs (2932) settle (now ordered) and see if anything else is needed. Which brings up another thought. With the winch, a second battery might be a useful option. The reason my wife bought me this winch in the first place was because there have been a few times I've actually needed one.

I think for a 1.5-3.75" additional ride height these could be a good option. Add a second battery or increase the tire size slightly then just crank up the spacer. If it's not right then re-adjust. Get a little vibration in the driveline then reduce it just a bit. It all makes sense. I also noticed they have a Pro model. But in the end, you would still be using your old stock springs. I'll, however, give it some more thought.

I'm sure by now most everything has been tested on this model Rubicon.

Thanks, and any other comments out there.

Maybe we can keep this thread going just a little longer, however, I've found some old threads on the same subject.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I installed the OME 2" front springs and had an alignment. The jeep sits perfectly level now. I expect the springs could sag up to 1/2" over the next couple of months, leaving about a 1/2" droop in the front. Sounds just about perfect to me.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Don't HAVE TO have a second battery for winching. Get a good heavy duty battery (tons of info on here) and run the engine while winching.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks about your comment about keeping the engine running while winching. I would think most people would already know this and most winching is for only short intervals anyway (just to get unstuck). So, it seems a duel battery would not be needed. Yes, some people have still run down the battery by over using a winch even while the engine is running. Just follow your winches duty cycle and I'm sure the battery will be OK. OK, yes, pictures would be helpful. We'll see. Again, thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is an update. First there seems to be little if any sag in the OME springs. I used my winch on a steep side hill that almost put the jeep on its side. Second time I have been stuck in this same spot. I'll probability never learn. However, the suspension appears to be working fine. Absolutely no signs of a wobble. I played in the desert yesterday and the washboard roads, even at 60mph, seemed to feel smoother than regular Utah paved roads (the jeep tracked straight but I only went airborne once), and even in low range it appeared smoother traveling over the steeper rocky areas. By chance, I happened to see the falling satellite that came down yesterday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts