Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For more than a decade I've used CO2 for airing back up. But, since moving to Ut, I've not found a good place/price to refill the bottles. I want to convert the OEM TJ AC compressor to an On-Board air compressor. It just needs to be able to refill the tires with air (no air tools) I've done some searching and found a little info, but still lack a lot of detail. Any help with this is appreciated!

I'm happy to be moving on from working on the scrambler's brake system. Once I re-engine the CJ-8, I'll put an OBA on that too. Right now it has a large ARB compressor under the hood with an air chuck on it, so it should be good for a bit. Plus, its just running little 35 inch tires.:wink2:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
There also is the option of the Off Road Only kit that runs a york 210, you can even run air tools off it. There are also Kilby kits out there that work well also.

This way you do not lose your AC, simple bolt in kit.

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info fellas. My TJ's AC system has been partially disassembled for a few years, but the compressor is still mounted to the engine.

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you thought about staying with CO2 and instead of bottle refilling opt for a bottle swap out deal at the welding supply stores? Yea the bottles are uglier, and heavier.... but it is convenient.
Sure have, and its certainly an option. For whatever reason the gas companies I've visited don't carry the 10 lb bottles. I have room in the scrambler for the 20lber, but space in the TJ is at a premium (another reason going to OBA is good for that jeep).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I found a “used” kit and 2 Yorks from a guy in Spanish Fork to do my OBA a few years ago. It works well and I’m pleased.

Though I have zero hands-on experience, I would imagine the existing AC conversion would be basically as straight forward;
Power switch (already installed), but it’s also part of the system as a whole. So new switch then?

shut off switch inline- this would be the part that would interest me. Does the pressure switch shut off the power switch? you would have to splice it in to the existing electrical, right? Or just get a new switch for the onboard air!

manifold- easily sourced from Erik’s. Used to be called Evco.

pressure gauge- not mandatory, I suppose. But extremely helpful for me! From Erik’s

All fittings and hoses. Again, for me, sourced from Erik’s.

All the parts from Erik’s ended up being surprisingly expensive. Probably around $200 total. But the convenience of them being able to wade through all the various types of air fittings and lines really made it worth it to me.

lastly, doesn’t a TJ AC require refrigerant to keep from seizing? Which is why the York conversion is popular, because it will run with regular motor oil? If so, what challenges, if any, will the conversion create with the stock AC system?

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good reminder for me to get moving forward with this project!

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Look at the new ORO york compressors. no need for an oil return as they are designed to be used as air compressors. More expensive than a York 210 but worth it.

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got done looking at ORO's kits. Lots of nice products!

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
I may have a complete kilby youk setup for sale if I can not mod it for my V* swap, going to be a few weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts