Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2019 Rubicon and discovered that it did not have navigation installed. Is there a way for me to purchase and install/activate a navigation system for my screen?

·
1,871 Posts
Welcome to ROF. Someone will be along. I have a 2004.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do you have the 8.4 screen? Do you have the off road pages?
I don't think you can add Nav anymore, you used to be able, the dealer would change the sales code and reconfigure the Jeep.
If you have the big screen, are you sure you don't have Nav? It might just not be showing up. Your dealer can check the sales code, you might just need a radio update.

·
Administrator
11,319 Posts
Welcome to ROF Jack. If the factory nav system is a no-go, you can easily go aftermarket. For off road I use an 8" Android tablet running Back Country Navigator, iPad users have the Gaia (sp?) app available. I use the tablet on a goose neck mount that I can position where I want.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Now this is really dumb but if I ran a tablet in my jeep I would get a large fine as it would be considered distracted driving. But a large built in screen is considered alright. I can pair my phone and operate it through my screen but cannot touch my phone.
Just check your sate laws so you don't get a surprise ticket.

·
1,871 Posts
I wonder about upgrading all the paths that different companies are putting into one system. It seems that as soon as you buy it, it could become obsolete.

·
Administrator
11,319 Posts
Now this is really dumb but if I ran a tablet in my jeep I would get a large fine as it would be considered distracted driving. But a large built in screen is considered alright. I can pair my phone and operate it through my screen but cannot touch my phone.
Just check your sate laws so you don't get a surprise ticket.
You guys can't have any fun :whistle:. We only use the tablet off road, it's easily removable from the mount.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I recently purchased a used 2019 Rubicon and discovered that it did not have navigation installed. Is there a way for me to purchase and install/activate a navigation system for my screen?
If on-screen navigation is important to you, and your current radio will not support navigation, I suggest looking into the option of mirroring your smart phone to the radio screen.

I have a 2019 GC Trailhawk with the factory nav and stopped using it due to strange trip guidance.
We use our smartphone connected through Carplay that gives us several different mapping options that are always current to available roads and conditions.
The only part I miss is the display in front of me prior to an upcoming turn.

You also have access to streaming music apps you may have on your phone. i.e. SiriusXm, Pandora, etc., as well as phone functions.
I'm actually replacing my Xm/Nav unit in my '06 truck with a new Carplay unit.

Crutchfield.com has a nice configurator to design a system.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Many models have the Apple Play or the android version. Any apps on your phone can be used on the radio. My 2017 JKUR does not have Apple play, but my 2018 Ram and 2020 Durango does and I love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts