Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Novak transfer case cable conversion on my TJ Rubi. Works very well. Bought when I think it was the only option.

Recently bought a LJ Rubi. Looking to see if any other options are now available I should consider.

Thoughts and experiences?

Thx!
Vince.

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
717 Posts
I just recently installed the Savvy; the install went fine, and it works great. I remember reading somewhere specific reasons how the Savvy version had improved upon certain aspects of the Novak, which is why I went with it.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,083 Posts
Never had an issue with yhe stock one, what is the advantage of the Novak?

·
1,645 Posts
I was wondering the same. After 16 years and 10 of those being with a body lift with an after market skid, with no shifter mishaps, I'd hate to break a trend.

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
717 Posts
I'm not quite sure how to articulate the technical rationale, but for me, every now and then it was tough to get into 4Lo, like I needed to rock the Jeep back and forth slightly to readjust or have it be just barely rolling. This is with 3" lift and 1" BL. After I did a bunch of work on the Jeep a few months back I took it for a "shakedown" ride up a relatively safe dirt road that follows the side of a mountain up towards a local state park. There is a little lookout towards the top where the land sticks out a bit and you can see the whole valley. Well the turn-in to the lookout is off camber and has steep drop offs on both sides so I put it into 4Lo bc I wanted to go slow and started to drive, but then it kicked me out of the transfer case as I was turning. Luckily I was right in the middle of the offcamber section so my Jeep couldn't really move forwards or backwards without power because the FR and RL tires were in the low points. Needless to say, on the other hand, it was very difficult, and stressful, to be standing next to my off-camber Jeep (on the side of a cliff) and trying to simultaneously rock it back and forth with one hand while pulling/pushing as hard as I could on the darn t-case lever with the other hand to get it back engaged. I finally managed to get it - I think into 4Hi rather than 4Lo - and told myself as soon as I got home I was going to buy the tcase shift lever that had been on my wish list. I don't think I ever told my wife that full story :p

Here is a pic of the lookout once I got the tcase back engaged:

Once adjusted the new lever is smooth as butter. Oh, and I also made sure my e-brake was nice and tight after that experience.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
Never had an issue with yhe stock one, what is the advantage of the Novak?
I actually have the Savvy which is the same as the Novak.
The advantage, which is huge, is as follows.

The factory shifter is mounted to the tub of the jeep with a solid rod arm to the transfer case shift lever. So many of us use body lifts and/or end up changing the height of the transfer case with a belly up ETC. That really screws up the relationship of the shift lever in the cab to the shift lever on the transfer case. With a cable shifter the relationship between the two points doesn't matter as the shift cable has a lot of flex in it. So as you are rocking and flexing the jeep off road you are less likely to have your TC come out of gear etc and the shifting is smoother.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,083 Posts
Thanks Bob. Have both BL and TT and never had an issue with either Rubi, guess I am lucky.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Registered
319 Posts
If your transmission mount is good and you got your linkage shaft adjusted correctly you probably do not need the savvy or Novak, they change the linkage from a rod to a cable that is much more forgiving in the differences between the transmission tunnel/body mount of the shifter versus the level of the tranny/transfer case on the frame

·
Administrator
11,060 Posts
What I like about the Novak shifter is there's no gate to mess with when changing the transfer case mode unlike the factory design.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,083 Posts
Thanks guys, think I will keep the original as it works ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts