Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2003 Rubicon and had a Terraflex 4" long arm lift kit installed. This lift has served me well.
Here we are almost 20 years later and the springs have sagged causing the tires to rub on the wheel wheels at full articulation. I took my Jeep in to a different mechanic and in having them install 5" springs, new bump stops and new Bilstein shocks. My mechanic is telling me that the Springs he pulled off the Jeep are 3" Springs and the shocks are 5".
Is it possible that Springs would sag that far?? Is it also possible that the shocks for a 3" lift kit would be the same as a 5" lift?
I'm confused, (and it sounds like my mechanic might be also)...

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Welcome to ROF. If you had good results in the earlier years, it would lead me to believe your springs sagged from wear. I still have my stock 2004 springs, but had to go to spacers to help them out.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Neither would even mildly surprise me coming from Terra. Either shipping mismatched springs and shocks, or the springs sagging that much. I've been around their stuff a lot since they were still Mepco and have never been impressed. Seen just too much Terra stuff completely fail or wear out fast.

I've been running Nth/AEV springs for almost as long, rears sagged 3/8", fronts haven't sagged at all.

- DAA

·
Registered
251 Posts
My rear springs have been replaced due to sag, so nothing unusual there considering your Jeep is going to be 20 years old. I always go by extended and compressed lengths when picking out shocks, the manufacturer's listing by lift doesn't always coincide to what is required. If a shock is too long it will bottom out before the suspension bump stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My rear springs have been replaced due to sag, so nothing unusual there considering your Jeep is going to be 20 years old. I always go by extended and compressed lengths when picking out shocks, the manufacturer's listing by lift doesn't always coincide to what is required. If a shock is too long it will bottom out before the suspension bump stop.
Good info. Thx

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,589 Posts
Another option is slightly longer bumpstops to prevent rub. It is not uncommon for a set of springs to sag a couple of inches after 20 years.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,589 Posts
Looks good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts