Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best tie rod? Aluminum or chromoly?? I know i cant spell but ya get the picture!! I was thinking the aluimi flex or the currie any thoughts would be great!!

G

·
0 Posts
I am looking at this too. I decided to simple sleve my stock tie rod with pipe, cheap and dang effective. I ran Carnage Canyon today, my tie rod took a couple of good shots, but no mishaps. So the pipe sleve mod also goes on when I do my skids here soon.

Running Chinaman's Gultch tomorrow, should be cool.....

I figure the pipe sleve should last me until I figure out who's HD Steering I am gonna go with. I looked extensively last night at a guy that had the Currie setup, even though their cust svc. may suck, that was one really super nice steering setup. Beefy as it gets I would say, the stock Rubi steering looked really whimpy by comparisons.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just put my new currie tie rod on, it's a heck of alot stronger than the stock, however, I do like the idea of aluminum for the fact that it will bend back to it's given position....Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Toys by Troy

from his web site...www.toysbytroy.com
NEW 11/4” diameter to withstand extreme forces; milled wrench slots for easy alignment
A bent or broken tie rod will never again stop you in your tracks
Developed and tested to flex up to 8" and return to its original shape and condition
Patent pending material lessens impact stress on all steering components without affecting handling
Align as normal; satin finish; other steering applications available

one of these days.... i plan on making the purchase.
:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
What do one of those cost Mac?

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
bbusch said:
What do one of those cost Mac?
not sure.....call Troy
AZ (602) 547-8697

or ask
Jason LaLiberty
4x4 GroupBuy.com
602-595-5739

:wink:

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
$130 plus $16.50 shipping to east coast $15 shipping west coast
From 4x4 Groupbuy
or
$160 including shipping from TBT direct

But I don't have one on order.
I swear!!!!!!
:mrgreen:

If you go with something other than the flex tie rod, make sure you upgrade your tie rod ends at the same time to something stronger. Otherwise you will transfer the break point to something much hard to trail fix.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Thanks Elff 0X

·
Registered
382 Posts
elff said:
But I don't have one on order.
I swear!!!!!!
:mrgreen:
so does the tbt go from knuckle to knuckle for our set up? (as pictured)

saw this write up this am --->alumi-flex tie rod article

I got a smilie face out of mine this weekend. luckily they had a press at the badlands and they got it straight, I sleeved it with the handle off my conduit bender ...

guess the ZJ has the same geometry as the TJ and the tie rod is solid as opposed to tubing, heard it comes with a replacement warranty, just an idea. :idea:

BTW the currie is on group buy too, $350.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The TBT one is supposed to be a direct replacement for the OEM one and utilizes the stock Tie-Rod ends.

I am hoping that it will arrive this week so I can install it this weekend.

·
Registered
382 Posts
thanks elff, be sure to keep us updated on this one, seems the vote I've got from others (diferent site) leds me to believe it's a no no. :? good luck. :?:

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I subscribe to the
Better to break a tie rod
than a
Tie Rod End
group.

That is why I am going this route. Eventually I will get a high steering setup to really get it out of the way.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Tie rod

My expierence (I use an alumaflex from troy) is that it's the best, bends, gives and nothing breaks. Sort of Zen like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts