Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently gone up to 35" tires and am wondering if I should upgrade my tie rod set up. I've did the ZJ upgrade a few years ago. We're not hard core 4x4ers but I do want to make it home when the days done. Is there another step up that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Craig

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,522 Posts
While bending a tie rod can be a problem, breaking a tie rod end is a bigger problem. You can remove the bent tie rod and hammer it roughly straight to get home. Replacing a tie rod end in the field can be problematic if it is seized. I went to a local fabricator and bought a 2" round solid aluminum bar. I then had them thread the bar (one side left hand and one side right hand). Then just ordered heavy duty heim joints. In fact I replaced all my tie rod ends with Heim joints. Total cost for the new tie rod was $150, but that was pre covid... and I run knuckle to knuckle steering, not the inverted Y. On my other jeep I run the ORO U-Turn.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,869 Posts
If you are going to upgrade, I suggest you go with something that separates the Tie rod from the Drag link.
It works so much better with lifted jeeps

Off Road Only has a very solid kit that is completely bolt on
Or you could go with something like the Teraflex kit and replace the passenger knuckle with one that has 2 ears, One for the drag link and one for the tie rod

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I've had my ORO U-Turn for like 15 years and it's been super solid.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Same here .. ORO U-Turn for many many years. I just love the simplicity of cross-over steering especially on lifted Jeeps (mine has a 6" long arm lift). Sure the Ackerman angle gets messed up and turning radius gets worse but these were small compromises to make for me. Over the years they made a couple of improvements on the kit and I have made those changes on mine and kept the old parts as spares :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input! I'm interested in the ORO U-Turn set up.
I'm hoping my ZJ mod gets me through next month trip to Moab and then I'll move forward from there on changing things up front.

Craig

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
775 Posts
You can also look into the Savvy steering kit (same as Currie except a high grade aluminum tie rod rather than steel) but they are having availability issues.

Reactions: CraigB

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So do you think the Currie is that much better than the ZJ upgrade? I can see where it is better than the OEM set up but seems very similar to the ZJ upgrade.

cb

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I have had both and found the Currie to resist bending better.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,522 Posts
Uturn on 3 different jeeps for almost 20 years and no issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
X2 on the Currie Correctlync. Why recreate the wheel. If you are just looking for something stronger Currie is the way to go IMHO.
Great to hear Currie is highly recommended here. We'll work on my friend's new Rubicon project after we finished installing the suspension and toyo tires on the Raptor this week. He's planning to get 35's so it is also a good time to upgrade.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts