Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I FINALLY got some nice kick out of my soundsystem. Finished up the last bit of wiring Friday and gave it a nice test coming into work today. I had started with the premium soundsystem, but wanted MP3 capabilty. The search for a compatible mp3 changer ended in vain. I ended up with a Pioneer DEH-4500MP head unit. This took some guesswork to find out hopw to get the factory sub to work with the harness adapter kit. In this particular case the remote wire had to hook into the kit's power antenna lead( light blue solid). So, after running around with that nice mosfet fed 50W per channel I wanted more clarity out of the soundbar and replaced those speakers with a pair of Pioneer TS-G1347's. This was a nice match for the HU as the RMS out of the head was 22W per channel and these had a 25w RMS rating. Cost was always on my mind. A huge improvement over the factory speakers. So, further along we went and we found the stock sub simply incapable of the really low punches. And I may have blown the thing on top of that. So, in went a Rockford FOsgate HE RFP4406. I wanted to maintain the factory look as much as possible and this was simply the only choice available for the factory sub location. It took a bit of dremelinmg to carve out the sub box to fit this much deeper sub, but it does fit. So, now we have a capable sub with plenty of push. Only problem now was we simply weren't getting the push from the factory sub amp. That poor thing is rated at a mesely 80W peak, which is maybe 40w RMS I'm guessing. Barely enough to here the sub over the nice soundbar speakers I put in. not to mention I was getting alot of vibes from the soundbar speakers because all my bass was going to both the sub and the soundbar. So, being a novice to the soundsystem world I dug deeper for more info. I looked at 5 channel amps and even 3 channel amps looking to put more output to the sub and also something that had crossover capabilities to eliminate my vibrations. I simply could not find a worthy solution within my price range. I ended up deciding my only option would be to get a mono or 2 channel amp for just the sub and a seperate crossover to eliminate the bass from the soundbar. Going the cheapest route possible I got a pair of Lightning Audio's 100hz inline passive crossovers. This worked great and fixed 90% of the problem. I still had a vibe, but only on a select few songs and even that would be barely audible once I got the sub power fixed. For the sub I was looking for a nice match to the 150w RMS rating and 300w peak. I stumbled upon a closeout sale over at SoundDomain.com on a Pioneer GM-X562. This model is listed as discontinued over at Crutchfield but is not one of the 2 channel models currently under a recall for fire from Pioneer. This thing has a rating of 130w RMS and 300w peak when bridged. It was a perfect match. Now the hard part. Where to mount it. It was too wide to fit under the drivers seat as I had hoped for and it was too tall to fit under the rear seat. Not to mention I didn't want a fire even though my model wasn't recalled. I had started to run my wires as if to mount it behind the drivers seat on the floor but didn't really like the idea of backseat passengers setting their muddy feet on it, nor did I like the theft visibilty factor. So, since I had the mopar factory add-a-trunk I decided to mount it in the back. The space was just barely enough. I ran the wiring down the middle under the console and then under the rear carpet and I ran the power down the outside driver's side along the factory harness through the stock grommet into the engine compartment above the ABS tray and across the back to the battery. The fuse is simply zip tied to a harness next to the master cylinder. For a ground I used the bolt holding down a bracket in the trunk area. Not sure what it was for, but served my needs. I'll get pics as soon as I can. But for now I can listen to Limp Bizkit or Eminem with the proper thumpacity :twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
Ahh Thump-ability... I have been slowly but surely making improvements to my system, and think I finally have something acceptable myself...

I replaced my pod speakers with 6.5" Subs, took my dome lights out and used Infinity 3.5" Coax speakers, then added a 4 channel amp, using one pair of amps on it brdged. The improvement while dramatic did not have the thump I wanted. So, I added an 8" MTX sub in the console. I ended using some caps to make the pods setup into a real sweat three way speaker system. Then ran the bridged amp to the single sub. It thumps pretty good now.

I rock crawl with my rig, so there is no room at all for anything but passengers, replacement parts, tools, 1st aid kit, fire extingisher, ect..ect.., so I mounted the amp on the body wall up under the dash on the drivers side, its fairly open there so I think there will be enough ventalation for the amp, but I had to search high and low for a 4 channel amp that would fit there. Just tied the 4 speaker outputs of the stock head unit to it. It was fairly easy, and looks pretty cool and somewhat different anyways.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to see pics of your pods. Being formed plastic, i can't imagine what you did in order to mount bigger speakers there.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Lothos said:
I'd love to see pics of your pods. Being formed plastic, i can't imagine what you did in order to mount bigger speakers there.
You don't have to do anything to mount bigger speakers in there. I was able to mount 6.5" Boston Pros in there with the provided spacer. They fit perfectly.

Brian

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does that spacer act like an adapter from 5 1/4 to 6.5? I had tested the hole size with my sub before putting the 5 1/4's in there and there didn't seem a way that it would work without cutting the pod.

G

·
0 Posts
I will post some pics of it tonigh or tomorrow.

The new subs went right in there, I did not use the standard mounting for them though. The screws go right through the plastic pod outside of where the stock speakers mounted.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Lothos said:
does that spacer act like an adapter from 5 1/4 to 6.5? I had tested the hole size with my sub before putting the 5 1/4's in there and there didn't seem a way that it would work without cutting the pod.
In a way I guess. The Bostons are undersized. The spacer filled the outer ring of the speaker mount. The speaker then flush mounts to the pod. With the grill on, it looks like I mounted the speaker to the top of the pod.

I also got the same speakers to fit into the dash.

G

·
0 Posts
That is cool, in the dash.... They look like some pretty nice speakers?? What a they run $$$$ wise, if ya don't mind me ask'n? Or what is the exact model again? I can look them up.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
WrathOfRubicon said:
That is cool, in the dash.... They look like some pretty nice speakers?? What a they run $$$$ wise, if ya don't mind me ask'n? Or what is the exact model again? I can look them up.
They are about $450 a pair. They are the Boston Accoustic Pro series 6.5" 2 way.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_produ ... egoryID=14

G

·
0 Posts
A brief overview of your entire Rubi setup???

Sounds dang nice I'll bet... Those would be like dream speakers for me, I'll probably never have anything that nice in there. I'm more than a tad jealous, but then I will have to look at my nearly 7" of lift and smile I suppose. :)

Thanks for share'n with me.

Those have got to be some of nicest speakers for auto sound I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
For sound, I have an Alpine head unit, with an Alpine XM tuner. Fosgate 800a4 amp for the Bostons (200x4 watts) and a 500a2 (500x1 watt) for the sub. The sub is a custom down firing box that I designed and built. It houses a 10" Alpine Type R dual voice coil sub. (I need a bigger amp. Looking at an 800 watt fan cooled amp) and the 4 Boston speakers.

It is pretty clear sounding at 80mph with the top and doors off. Even the other cars on the highway think so :lolbonk:

Specs on the Jeep can be found here http://www.socaloffroad.com/memberrigs/brian/index.htm

G

·
0 Posts
Beautiful setup!!!! Get that new amp for the sub, and go do a competition.. I had done real well with my 1100 watt setup in my Kia Sephia much to my surprise (well not really since it will set off car alarms on cars parked on the street as I go by), but I did win a dang nice complete setup that I installed in my Cherokee at the event.

Do they even still have those competitions? I really just lost inteest in them, on to other things I suppose.

( local event held by Soundtrak here in Denver where I won the equipment, I think had more to do with the fact, I am a fuse head, the judges seem to give extra credit for the hard core fusion and not demo'n rap as every other participant did)

Thanks again, for share'n all that with me. I just installed, and now you have gone and got me thinking of already upgrading!!!! Thanks a lot.. lol

G

·
0 Posts
To get rms value from peak value just times it by .707 or say around 3/4 of peak value. ever notice when you turn your radio up to a certain point Around 3/4 it gets quiter then louder and sounds like crap? It is because the quality of power output decreases significantly above .707 (Route Means Squared)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts