Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Did it give you some more pep??? Interesting idea that I never thought of, but there are so many!!! with the pipe being so long and twisty how much air really gets in there in relation to the stock opening??? Just some questions you might be able to answer. Looks professional too Mud Puppy. Great job!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the cowl opening will probably reduce the air supply slightly, but when the tube from the box to the throttle body already has so many bends I doubt it hurts much, and normally I will run both openings and just plug the stock one when needed.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Very nice. Let's have a writeup with part numbers that you used please.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Cool addition. I remember seeing a hummer snorkle kit somewhere, but I remember it being expensive, so this looks like a good alternative. Like Jerry said part #'s.

Ron

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any part numbers.
I got a second air tube from an auto wrecker, and the rest is plumbing.
fitting in the air box are a male and female 2" threaded pipe fittings, and the tube through the metal is a 2" pipe. I cut the center section of the air tube out to shorten it and joined it with a 2" rubber sleeve.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Anybody else do this? Seems like a good way of helping the approach into deep water rather than having a full blown snorkel. Anybody have some experience on this one?

Also, I've heard that PVC is not good for intakes as it can give off gases that can mess up a MAF sensor? Any truth, not just the "I heard" like I am saying? Would ABS be a better choice?

·
Registered
658 Posts
buckgnarly said:
Anybody else do this? Seems like a good way of helping the approach into deep water rather than having a full blown snorkel. Anybody have some experience on this one?

Also, I've heard that PVC is not good for intakes as it can give off gases that can mess up a MAF sensor? Any truth, not just the "I heard" like I am saying? Would ABS be a better choice?
Our jeeps don't have a MAF sensor, they are speed density.

If you search you can find some places to buy sections of pipe and silicone/rubber attachment sleeves. The sleeves are used in a lot of supercharger/turbo kits. If you check with the junk yard turbo groups they probably know exactly where to go to buy the tubing and sleeves.

I saw someone who did a snorkle like the ARB except he exited between the fender and the hood, cutting out a section of the hood. The snorkel didn't go that high up, just above hood line. I thought it was a pretty slick setup.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
are you worried about water washing over the hood and into the snorkel? what about rain?

it seems water always goes over my hood. :|

·
Registered
598 Posts
Agree with Jeepneeded, it doesn't seem that the opening would be much higher than the one in the engine. I can see if you are hitting water with some forward movement and the water surges into the engine compartment that it would help prevent that, but in terms of water height is it much higer?
Although there is a "wall" between them there is an opening at the bottom.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Part of hte paoint of the cowl intake is that one of the most common ways to "oops" and hydrolock is to go into water that is not deep enough to drown you, but because you have to drop down a steep ledge into it you submerge the entire nose (intake included) for long enough to suck water.

Kinda hard to see in this photo, but I had a reverse scoop on my cowl. For water to get into the cowl area it had to come over my hood in large amounts, then turn 180 degres and go into the scoop.

Once it was into the cowl area I had a stock air intake horn over the opening, so the water again had to manage a few corners before any appreciable amount got into the intake.

If you are going out to play submarine a cowl snorkle is not enough, but for some cheap insurance against occasional water crossings it is great.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
"reverse scoop on my cowl" that was where I thought the water would come in. very cool :cool:

·
Registered
598 Posts
it is great idea, thanks for the write up

·
Registered
721 Posts
Have you noticed any gasoline smell inside the vehicle since you did this? I've been thinking about doing same idea but wasn't sure if an intake "backfire" backpulse would back fumes into the cowl and then into the passenger compartment via the fresh air intake.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was thinking about rain in the cowl area, and figured at the worst I could plug off that opening and leave the stock open. Then vice versa if I hit the trails. OR, cut the nozzle at a 45 degree angle sloping out towards the windshield to avoid raing falling into the tube. Problem would arise if the cowl filled with water though.

It's by no means an alternative to a full blown snorkel, but I have no intentions of going in water deep enough to really need a snorkel. If that were the case, then forget about my stereo, computer, etc unless I go all out ans waterproof everything.

It does seem to be good insurance for that first wave or nosing in water.

·
Registered
195 Posts
What if the snorkel was to stop at the top of the battery instead of going through the firewall?
How much water/mud/dirt is thrown around the area by the fuse box/battery?

I like the idea of a snorkel but don't want to make big holes in the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts