Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question, on the rear adj UCAs, does the grease zerk go on the axle side or frame side?

Now the pisser.
Put a nice big dent in my shock trying to adjust the pinion angle. :snipersmile:
Recommendations for shock relocators??

Also, track bar is smashed against the kilby gas skid.
What do I do here? Is there a track bar that is curved for this issue, or do I bend mine? I thought I had heard that RE has a different bracket that moves the track bar further back.
I am assuming it is bad to drive without it connected :eek:nfire:

Also, can the pinion even be adjusted correctly with the trackbar dissconnected, or am I just wasting time here?

Man, I am ready to put this thing back to stock :bad-words:

Thanx again guys.

Brian

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Tigger said:
First question, on the rear adj UCAs, does the grease zerk go on the axle side or frame side?

Now the pisser.
Put a nice big dent in my shock trying to adjust the pinion angle. :snipersmile:

What do I do here? Is there a track bar that is curved for this issue, or do I bend mine? I thought I had heard that RE has a different bracket that moves the track bar further back.

Also, can the pinion even be adjusted correctly with the trackbar dissconnected, or am I just wasting time here?

Thanx again guys.

Brian
Terra shock reloactors work..
RE rear track bar has a special mount and its got a good bend in it.
my guess is connect all the stuff and adjust the pinion angle.
:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tera shock relocators vs. RE shock relocators

The Teras bolt into the stock mount where the RE are welded on. Obviously the bolt in are easier to install, but are they strong enough to hold up? Those are some very small looking bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Tigger said:

Now the pisser.

Thanx again guys.

Brian
OK Brian. Take a deep breath and relax. We've got you covered. You are going through the normal learning and frustrations encountered when lifting a Jeep. The worst thing that's going to happen is you're not going to be able to drive it for a few days. Most of us have been there and done that, so you've got a lot of company.

We need to know a few things:
1. How high is your lift, and whose is it? If you put it together yourself, whose UCAs are you using? If you posted this before, I'm sorry, but I forgot.
2. Do you have an adjustable trackbar or are you still running the stock trackbar? If you have a stock one, I recommend you purchase the JKS adjustable rear trackbar. And get the relocation bracket. You can get this from Dirk at http://www.dpgoffroad.com/jks.html It has the bend in the right places.
3. DO NOT drive the Jeep with the trackbar disconnected. This is not like disconnecting the rear swaybar. The trackbar locates the axle side to side. Without it, the axle will be free to slop around and cause all sorts of serious problems, boith in handling and wear.
4. You set the pinion angle with everything connected, including the trackbar.
5. Sounds like you overrotated the pinion if you dented the shock body. Regardless, get the Tera shock relocators. They are more than strong enough, and the bolts are the same size that are on your shocks. Be advised you will lose approximately 1 inch of upward shock travel with these relocators.

Let's have a reply so we can help some more. If you think you've bitten off too much, take a look at what I did on mine at http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=236. I can assure you there were a few times I was ready to give it all up.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Brian - Relax like Jerry said. We need more info to help you out correctly. The Teraflex shock relocators are solid. I know the bolts look small, but they can take it. I experimented and lifted the back end of the jeep off the ground by one, just to see if they would give. Don't worry. It took me 5 days to do an RE lift, and I've done plenty of them.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lift is a RE 3.5" Superflex. The upper UCAs are RE adjustable.
Stock trackbar with the basic relocating bracket.
1" body lift and 1" MM lift
Medic bellyup skid.

What I am thinking is the RE1602 bracket

and the Tera shock relocators.

Do you think that bracket is enough for clearance or are we at the point of requiring an adjustable trackbar?

I am not driving the Jeep until it's ready. It has already been down for several weeks. What's one more.

Just want to get everything finished before my trip to the Rubicon on August 10th.

Thanx again for the help everyone.

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Tigger said:
The lift is a RE 3.5" Superflex. The upper UCAs are RE adjustable.
Stock trackbar with the basic relocating bracket.
1" body lift and 1" MM lift
Medic bellyup skid.

What I am thinking is the RE1602 bracket
and the Tera shock relocators.

Do you think that bracket is enough for clearance or are we at the point of requiring an adjustable trackbar?

I am not driving the Jeep until it's ready. It has already been down for several weeks. What's one more....

Brian
The stock trackbar is not going to work with the angled bracket. You'll need an adjustable trackbar along with that bracket. That should solve your problem.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
UCA zerk fitting for the RE arms. I have mine on the axle side in the rear. I'm not certain if this is the way (RE's instructions are so detailed :wink: ) , but has worked good so far. The teraflex relocators will get your cans away from your rear spring perch. I assume this is what dented yours. The bent RE bracket is for the CV joint driveshaft, which I believe you are going to install since you have Medics skid plate. I tried to install this bracket with a stock track bar on a 2002, even with the axle rolled, we couldn't get it to work. So adjustable is probably the best way to go. Oh one note. With the relocators in, your passenger rear shock may come very close to the exhaust. Mine actually rests against it most of the time. I am still working on ways to move it away, luckily it is against the shield and not the can, so heat isn't that much of an issue. I haven't rolled my pinion yet (no vibes, no raised skid plate yet)

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
OK..I am going to jump in here as I just went through the solving process with most of this...

1. If you are running Dostech shocks turn them upside down so that the can is mounted to the upper. This can be done with out problems or contact. Save the $$ on the relocators for the adjustable Track Bar.

2. I don't mean to argue with anyone but the stock track bar will work with the 1602 bracket. I am running it and no problems with getting it to connect. I would and am suggesting a rear adjustable though, even with bracket there is not enough to push over the axle. I truly thing the bracket will work properly with a 3.5 which you have. I do have contact with the gas tank skid and will be getting an adjustable to fix this.

3. As for the zurks it doen't really matter I think. The one thing is that you have to turn them to adjust your pinion and if it has to point up or down to set it properly then so be it. I can't see there being any contact.

This is just my opinon and how I set up mine and is working solid for me but hey Every Jeep is Different.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered the Tera shock relocators and the Rubicon Express track bar and angled bracket last night. I may actually get this beast back on the road this weekend.

Thanx for all of the advice guys.

Brian

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Tigger said:
Ordered the Tera shock relocators and the Rubicon Express track bar and angled bracket last night. I may actually get this beast back on the road this weekend.

Thanx for all of the advice guys.

Brian
hope it all works out.
:beercheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts