Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do my best to sign up for The Labor Day Safari in Moab. It's run by the same group that holds EJS and centers around the Moab Rim Campark and is 3 days of events. September 2-5 with check in on Friday. The Campark has the perfect amenities for what I am looking for with over flow parking for the trailer and showers.
Once the event is over, I am planning on hanging around for a day or 2 or 3 and explore Moab by myself.

Obviously, it would be awesome if some people wanted to join me either at the official Labor Day Safari event or afterwards

This seems like the perfect way for me to check off an item on my bucket list without having to deal with the massive crowds happening now at EJS.

Send me a DM if interested.

·
Administrator
11,843 Posts
I gave some ideas in the other thread when you first mentioned it but I'll keep a watch on this thread.

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Sounds great to me. We have a Rubicon trip scheduled for late-Sep or Early-Oct (don't have exact dates yet), so hope we can make both. We've lived in Utah for 3 years now and have not made it to Moab....

• Wow
Reactions: johncanfield

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My former club had a good system worked out but we would have up to 80-90 (or more) participants at a rally. We ran trails from easy to hard core for each skill level and had a signup sheet for each day and each trail. All trails were pre-run to minimize any surprises and to re-familiarize trail leaders with the trail.

At the appointed time, participants would meet at a particular location and the trail leader would give any tips, instructions, comms info, etc.

My favorite trail is 7 Mile Rim which is suitable for even the less experienced but provides a few mild challenges and some Oh My moments when near the end off-camber on the slickrock. For the experienced, Wipeout Hill provides great fun at the trail end.
Copied this over from the other thread.
Where do people stay for Camping? I was thinking of sleeping in the RTT the entire time to keep the cost down.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I would just try and keep it kind of on the down low. I don't think posting and planning here is likely to be a risk. But you don't want the BLM to get wind of an unpermitted "event" going down in Moab. I wouldn't, for instance, call anyone in Moab and ask about a block of rooms, or anything like that.

Mac can probably say more about that.. It's how the old ROF Moab trip got squacked.

But I know people that have had to go the permit/insurance route - but that's a pretty high dollar route to take.

Honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. Just be aware of the possibility.

And I know, it's just a get together, it's not an event. I know, I know. So was the old get together. BLM don't care.

- DAA

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you cant plan a vacation in Moab with friends?
What did the BLM do to the old gathering to squash it

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I'm fuzzy on the details. Been too long ago. I think Mac is who they went after, he might remember it better.

Lots of people do it and don't have problems though. Some people, have had problems.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Doubt this is going to turn into anything big enough to draw attention.

I'll exit the topic now.

- DAA

·
Administrator
11,843 Posts
The last time I was in Moab with our club we had to pay a fee per vehicle/per day. More money grubbing by the Feds - organized parasites. Also there are other non-governmental forces against vehicles running trails there - the bicycle and hiker cabal and that guy that's been around for years there taking people on trails in his Jeep - I forgot his name (Mick maybe?) If he sees a bunch of Jeeps on a trail he reports them (or so the story goes.)

I believe if you keep a group to four or five I don't think anybody will care. At any rate, four or five is an ideal number running a trail. If there's more ROF'rs there, split up and run different trails.

As far as accomodations, there are several RV parks and the KOA has cabins. Also several motels. I would let everybody make their own accommodations but try to have everyone on one side of town or the other. Motels are on the north side and most campgrounds on the south side (at least that was as of a few years ago.)

Reactions: Norminator

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
People just gotta be assholes. Jees
I was trying to avoid the big events and go with some people that have already done the trails.

I do appreciate the heads up and information so far.

Thanks Guys!!

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
If stars align I’m down to come with my son. I wanted to go next month but decided against it for now because my rig is not ready.

·
Administrator
11,843 Posts
Most of the popular trails are fairly easy to navigate except for 7 Mile Rim, it's easy to get lost on that one. Also the popular moderate trails usually have several vehicles (and UTVs!) that you can follow.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And most trails have rubber tracks that show the proper line.
We dont get cheat sheets like that on the east coast

But Id prefer to hang with friends that all coincidentally end up at the same camp ground once the day is over.

·
Administrator
15,238 Posts
I'm fuzzy on the details. Been too long ago. I think Mac is who they went after, he might remember it better.

Lots of people do it and don't have problems though. Some people, have had problems.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Doubt this is going to turn into anything big enough to draw attention.

I'll exit the topic now.

- DAA
ROF was reported as having "An Event" ... i fought the BLM the opinion from Utah Attorney Office agreed we were not an official event.
BLM was going to chase me down ....instead i showed up at the field office and answered their questions.

Dan M.was the guy who does tours and he does have a working relationship with the BLM ( i'm not accusing him of being the one make up your own mind)

I've done Moab since with some friends and 3 separate accommodations is how we stayed met at Moab Brewery at night just like in olden days

Riverside motel was great in the past ...we all got room discounts and plenty of place to work on Jeep's
some good times in the parking lot
however dan M. showed up seeing 30+ Rubicon Jeep's ( make up your own conclusion )

get an interest list and do it offsite by cell texting or email .....don't set up dates and who on ROF ( that is poking the bear)

i may be interested in visiting at some point again if the weather is not to hot or cold last week of April and first weeks of May was always good.

REMEBER this is just Friends who happen to be at the same place and time.

This is Not an ROF meet and greet ,,,,,,those days are gone per agreement with the BLM.

mac

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First Post is updated.

Thank You to everyone for your helpful comments about the BLM
I will be honest, I was thinking about the other BLM when that was first posted and was like WTF would they care about ROF
:ROFLMAO:
In other corrupt news, our incompetent government gave themselves a 21% raise
:mad:

·
Registered
149 Posts
The EJS 2022 magazine from RR4W gives a brief explanation of what is happening in Moab and it is not really all that good for keeping all the trails open to whoever wants to run them...with the liberals in charge, the loud mouth greenies want to close the entire area to OHV use and the BLM came down pretty good on RR4W forcing them to pay more money for a permit for EJS and limiting the number of folks on the trails, essentially threatening to shut the whole thing down if onerous permit limitations are not kept in force by the club...I've probably made it sound worse than it really is but I've not been there...I did join RR4W and registered to run some trails and got a tent camp site but boom, out of the blue a kidney stone decided to let loose and took 12 hours to get to my bladder, the short story is there are some big stones waiting in the wings that are too big to fit in the ureter and so I now have a urologist who is going to go in and blast them apart but not until late April and he suggested that I probably don't want to be in Moab on a trail when a stone blocks the duct and I'm in doodoo so I did the error on the side of caution thing and cancelled the trip (boo hoo)...oh well, life happens.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a person who has had kidney stones in the past, I can say for sure
You made the right call.
if one of those big stones got caught while you were on a trail, you would be in a world of hurt. Last one I had required a trip to the hospital and then a stent for week and a half. The removal of the stent was horrible.

Sorry to hear it cancelled your trip, good luck with the procedure.

I am a member of RR4W and got the EJS magazine, which is how I found out about Mini EJS in the fall.

****ing libtards. And then you have idiots like this, who hurt our cause of Tread lightly. The following picture is from the first post on the Gladiator Forum
Handwriting Grey Sleeve Font Wood

🤬

·
Registered
149 Posts
As a person who has had kidney stones in the past, I can say for sure
You made the right call.
if one of those big stones got caught while you were on a trail, you would be in a world of hurt. Last one I had required a trip to the hospital and then a stent for week and a half. The removal of the stent was horrible.

Sorry to hear it cancelled your trip, good luck with the procedure.

I am a member of RR4W and got the EJS magazine, which is how I found out about Mini EJS in the fall.

****ing libtards. And then you have idiots like this, who hurt our cause of Tread lightly. The following picture is from the first post on the Gladiator Forum
View attachment 76930

🤬
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement...I'll be getting a stent to drain the kidney after the stones are smashed...I don't look forward to it but it has to be done...after I heal, back out on the trail!

·
Administrator
15,238 Posts
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement...I'll be getting a stent to drain the kidney after the stones are smashed...I don't look forward to it but it has to be done...after I heal, back out on the trail!
you will be okay.... had stone smashing 3 times and stents in for weeks
not a big deal to remove stent ....Dr office visit the nurse say's look over there while she rips it out
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts