Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 04 Rubi for a long time and hardly drive the thing any more. The reason is that I went overboard years ago with lift and tires that it is no longer fun to drive. I installed a Full Traction 3" lift about 10 years ago with a 1" coil spacer up front, 1" body lift and 1" MML with 35's. It has rubicon express control arms (adjustable uppers). I'm thinking about bringing it back down with maybe OME lift and running a skinny tire. I am guessing the high lift with the stiff ass springs and 35x12.50's is too much for the auto trans. I have to continually switch off the Overdrive and the ride is horrible. Thinking a OME lift and 32'2 or 33's (skinny) would be much nicer to drive and I really dont wheel much anyway.

Questions. 1) Does this sound like it would improve my ride experience? 2) Will I be able to re-use those RE control arms? 3) what size tire would you recommend? I currently have 15" wheels but would probably just sell the wheel/tire combo hence I could get 1^' wheels if I need to.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Welcome to ROF.
Interesting that I’m thinking the same thing. Hard to get me ole arse up in the seat.🤓
I’d suggest the complete 2” OME set up with their shocks, springs and control arms. Tire I’d run would be the 34 x 10:50 x 17 BFG KO 2 which is basically a 33” tall skinny tire.
Regarding keeping the RE, I think the fixed control arms may be to long.

·
1,600 Posts
I had a CJ that taught me the negative about higher stiffer springs. I had it for 32 years and lifted for 16 years. My biggest fear in moving forward with my 2004 Rubi was taking away the Cadillac ride. My decision was made for me when I rear ended someone. Since I had to get new fenders, I went high clearance. I won't go any larger than a 33" tire. I've enjoyed all the Moab trails, but am content to not do the top 3 or 4 in difficulty, such as; Pritchett Canyon, Moab Rim, and Behind the Rocks. I've had to make two calls home in the past notifying my wife I wasn't coming home. She was always supportive, but I hate those calls, and they usually result in bills.

I'm on original springs with stock control arms. My control arms are parallel with the ground. I have a body lift. I recently added pucks under my springs, but that was only because my springs were 16 years old with a lot of times of weight from camping gear, ammo, and heavy trail use. The control arms are level after the pucks. I suppose I could get new springs, but I really like the ride and performance with what I have. I did bring the guts up to the frame with an aftermarket skid.

·
3,522 Posts
Sounds like you could stand to regear your jeep to match your tires if you have to turn off overdrive. Having the proper gearing will make it peppier and more fun to drive. If the springs are too stiff, there are some better choices available. Bottomline, you should enjoy driving your jeep or why have it...sounds like a little bit of fine-tuning will drastically improve yours.

·
3,522 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts