Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have these symbols on my speedometer cluster!
Throttle Control warning

Electronic Stability Control Warning


Made a dumb mistake and washed around the engine compartment and rinsed with water from the garden hose. When I started the Jeep up and drove it was fine for a few minutes then no throttle control and the Jeep went to 3-4 mph and two dash symbols for Throttle Control warning and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) warning came on the dash.

I did take off the PCM plugs and checked for water. Looked dry but let them air out awhile. No change in the problem though. Guess I will unplug electrical connectors and check for water.

Anyone have suggestions to what to do?

EDIT: From what I'm reading I'm in the dreaded limp mode:( Since I know it was from water it must be a wet electrical connector having to do with the throttle control or electronic stability systems.

Codes:
P050B, Decreased engine performance is defined as a Cold Start Ignition Timing Performance.
P2173 Throttle Actuator ctrl sys-hi airflow detected.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,435 Posts
Disconnecting all of the electrical connectors that might have gotten wet is a good start. In Reno they should dry with a good wait, but I'd prefer compressed air to help them dry even faster. I'd say its almost impossible to see water inside the connector and when you disconnect them and look down into it the water drops further in. Compressed air will help chase it all out.


I agree you should assume its water before trying anything else.
 
  • Like
Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
FiXED! No more engine check lights or codes. Yippee. Thanks very much for the help.

I should have called this dumb and dumber. The problem was a shop towel that I put in the intake to keep water and debris out while cleaning the filter box:surprise: I was rushed and left it in when putting the intake back together. When I started the Jeep the towel was sucked to the intake butterfly valve. Dang that was a grievous error on my part.

The good. I learned to take apart electric plugs without damaging them. Also I found a mechanics mistake, a plug that the locking mechanism was damaged and would not lock. I used the the type of rubber electrical tape that seals to itself to secure it. That occured when a dealer changed a leaky oil manifold/cooler on top of the engine. Thank goodness this is over and the Jeep is back to good running order.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,435 Posts
That's the best kind of fix - an easy one!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top