Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall in the mid 90's when I first got my CJ every Jeep owner always gave the friendly Jeep Wave as we passed. It seems now that I'm lucky if 1 out of 5 wave back. I have assumed this is a sign of the Jeep brand slowly changing as it attracts more and more non-traditional Jeep buyers.

Have you guys experienced this change in your areas as well or is it just here in Atlanta? Heck.. I have a hard time getting a wave back even when I'm driving the CJ these days.

Just thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yeah this comes up every couple months but I think the wave has become limited to only modified Jeepers or Jeepers that actually care about theirs.

·
Registered
976 Posts
jeepsyco said:
Yeah this comes up every couple months but I think the wave has become limited to only modified Jeepers or Jeepers that actually care about theirs.
Thats what I think also. I don't wave unless it looks like it goes out on the trails, around here very hard to get a JK wave. I guess they spend more time at the mall.

·
Jeepless in NJ
12,581 Posts
I have seen more JKs wave than TJs. I would guess the return of wave ~50%

·
Registered
88 Posts
kidmugg said:
what's farding? :laugh:

I think I get 1:20 ratio on the jeep wave... usually only modified jeeps do it.

fard
? ?/f?rd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fahrd] Show IPA Archaic.
–noun
1. facial cosmetics.
–verb (used with object)
2. to apply cosmetics to (the face).

Women do a lot of farding while driving

·
Registered
331 Posts
I try to wave at any TJ. YJ, or CJ and any other built Jeep. If I have the top down, the doors off, or the windows down, the arm and hand go out and up. If I have the windows up, I try to wave over the steering wheel but its hard to see because the previous owner had tint put 6 inches down the windshield (still got to fix that). I figure if I wave enough, some of these newbies may figure it out. It doesn't bother me if they don't return the wave, I've done my part to keep it alive. I get about 30% return, but once I get one doing it, they normally keep it up when I see them later. (It also helps identify new jeepers in the area versus new jeep owners.)
IMHO: It really comes down to the difference of being a JEEPER and A Jeep Owner.

For JEEPER's, owning a Jeep affects your lifestyle. Its like an addiction, you can quit, but you're never quite the same afterwards.

For Jeep Owners, its just another vehicle.

I am A Jeeper. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
When a friend of mine first got his CJ5 in the late '80s,
Jeeps were still pretty much an extension of your lifestyle.

Everybody who drove Jeeps waved at us (him).

They weren't as comfortable to DD, so if you saw a CJ/YJ,
you knew he/she was dedicated too.

Now, like was touched on earlier, they are often just a
commuter "car" for many people.

I always wave and it makes me happy when others wave back.

(I forget I'm in my work truck and wave at every Jeep I see... :cheesy: )

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
toad said:
kidmugg said:
what's farding? :laugh:

I think I get 1:20 ratio on the jeep wave... usually only modified jeeps do it.

fard
? ?/f?rd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fahrd] Show IPA Archaic.
–noun
1. facial cosmetics.
–verb (used with object)
2. to apply cosmetics to (the face).

Women do a lot of farding while driving
Learn something new every day!

I thought you meant 'farting' at first... but I'm sure many of the farders are farters too, hence, no wave! :laugh:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I wave all the time. The funny thing is I catch myself waving at night when I can see that the on-coming vehicle is a jeep and I also wave at jeeps when driving my wife's Expedition. Hard habit to break.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Yeah I find myself waving at other Jeeps when I am in other vehicles as well. I get a wave back probably 50/50.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I try to wave as much as possible. I find that the JKs are 5 out of 10 and all others are ~8 out of 10. Even the RHD TJ waves! But I may be moving and I don't know how they are in that area....STL?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
About 50/50 here too. I'm in the same vicinity of ADay73. At first I would get perturbed when they wouldn't wave back so I started to not wave unless they waved first. Then I felt dumb when they waved and I didn't, so now I wave at all of them. I even wave at the built up XJ's. rubclt had a good rule: 1 finger wave for a Jeep, 2 fingers for a Rubicon and a full wave at a well modded rig.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
The Brand has become too diluted. The dying wave is a victim of Jeeps success. It used to be only hard core offroaders owned Jeeps, not so much anymore.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I find it's probably about 50/50, except with the JK owners. They tend to wave a lot less. I've gotten pretty good at looking at the Jeep and guessing if I'll get a wave back. Modifieds always wave. Funny, I also find myself waving even when I'm in another vehicle.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I wave to most built jeeps or jeeps with some flavor. If a jeep is really built up I may flash my lights just to give extra props.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts