Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be interesting, to get opinions on here....
Talking about the Superflex kits here.

Has there ever been a head to head RTI of these two systems??

There are a couple of places quoting me the mid $500's on the RE 3.5" Superflex Kit, seems a killer price for all you get.

But, I really would love some opinions on which one is better, and how much better is it than the other one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
John, I've been researching between the RE and Terra Lifts for sometime. I've talked to people about teh Terra and found out it's just not that comfortable of a ride and when I went to actually order and price out the Terra It took them about 15-20 mins cuz they had to order the kit part by part. At this point it didn't seem too bad but I then checked out the RE and from all I heard\read The RE is the best way to go especially if you get anything but the BB because it'a all upgradable. It's hard finding ou thte best lift for you cuz everyone is different. You know one person might find the ride crappy and the other might find it great. IMHO I think that your going to find out that most people are going to tell you RE and for the $$ I think it's one of the best for a JP other than Airock. This might help it might not. I myself plan on getting 1- Airock and 1- RE 4.5 kit with the 3.5 springs because for the $$ on the 4.5 lift you get adj. UCA's.

good luck on your search

Mo

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great post!!!!! Thanks a million.

I am getting close to pulling out the card and placing the order for the RE Kit. I still am no closer to installing it though, as I am not ready to tackle Drive shafts and won't have my Klune until Dec / Jan. Should be great when I am "done" (Like any jeep is ever really "done") lol. I figure I have the dough rght now for the kit itself, and I got enough costs comming down the road so I may as well buy it now.

That will be the 3.5" RE kit (most likely as of now anyways), 2" Coil Spacers, 1" Body lift. I think this will be the most inexpensive route, for that much lift, allowing for nearly any tire size I would ever wish to run, and also give me the flex I crave.

I am still planning on the Old man EMU shocks though, I thought about Rancho 9000's, but man every rig I ride in that has OME shocks, seems like a luxury ride by comparison.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
WrathOfRubicon said:
Great post!!!!! Thanks a million.

I am getting close to pulling out the card and placing the order for the RE Kit. I still am no closer to installing it though, as I am not ready to tackle Drive shafts and won't have my Klune until Dec / Jan. Should be great when I am "done" (Like any jeep is ever really "done") lol. I figure I have the dough rght now for the kit itself, and I got enough costs comming down the road so I may as well buy it now.

That will be the 3.5" RE kit (most likely as of now anyways), 2" Coil Spacers, 1" Body lift. I think this will be the most inexpensive route, for that much lift, allowing for nearly any tire size I would ever wish to run, and also give me the flex I crave.

I am still planning on the Old man EMU shocks though, I thought about Rancho 9000's, but man every rig I ride in that has OME shocks, seems like a luxury ride by comparison.
I would not suggest the 3.5" lift if you are going to put in spacers. You will destroy you springs doing that kind of set up. Are you going to long arm also. If you are not and you put in 3.5" coils and 2" spacers and a short arm then you will have some problems with rear steer and a few others. That size of lift will require LA...$$$.

Also I must ask....Why you putting in a Klune?

Sean

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... I have seen several of these setups aroudn town, all be it not in a Rubicon. They don't seem to have to many issues, if any really. The long arms sound really great, but I am still not convinced it is needed. Surely never heard of any rear steer issues with such a setup. I had a million people tell me how bad it would be with what I have now and 35's, and so far I just don't see it, other than I keep nailing the lip on my fender flairs quite a bit. But nothing a couple of trimmed inches off the lip of the flairs wouldn't take care of.

The great thing as already noted about the RE is that the long arm stuff can be upgraded to in the future, if I have issues with it. On detroy'n the springs, I can see that for sure, but I would think it would take a couple of years at least for that to happen.

Maybe give me a short more detailed list of potential issues with such a setup. Rocky Mtn Backroad indicated they have done several of these setups without issue, but once again, that was not on a Rubicon. Heck it seems you should be able to put 2" coil spacers on just about any decent kit, but maybe not. I mean, I do understand it puts strain on it, just as it does the stock coil suspension.

Thanks again for your advice, and by all means keep it comming!!!
As of now, this is still my overall plan for it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, and on the Klune, the benefits are drastic when doing vertical walls. I have seen many a rig with them make obsticles, that nobody without one made without winching.

Or maybe like climbing the Mtn, just becasue it is there!!!! lol

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, after checking some more... The setups running this around here, have the RE 4.5" Superflex kit with the 3.5" kit coils sub'd in.

I was mis-informed by one retailer that the RE 3.5" Superflex Kit and the RE 4.5" Superflex kit came with the same parts except the coils.

I just went to RE's site, and this is so totaly NOT the case. No wonder you thought I was crazy!!!!!

That certainly makes more sense.
Hey but this is why we come to these boards, and talk to a gazillion different people before we buy, to catch mistakes before we buy...

I am glad you helped me catch my blunder, I would have had all sorts of issues, I am sure of it.

So what do you think about that lifting path for me?

The RE 4.5" Superflex kit with the 3.5" coils sub'd in.

Thanks again for all your help!!

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I put in the RE 3.5 kit and ended up biuying all the extra stuff that the 4.5 kit has, only piece by piece.

Cost effective? Not so much.

4.5 kit with 3.5 springs is the way to go. If I had to do it over again I would have just gotten the 4.5 kit. I ended up needing the CV DS anyway (not everyone does), so I should have just gone large. Oh well.

Great kit. Way nice off road.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the same thing RE 4.5 Superflex, sub in 3.5 springs, JKS QD's, JKS adj front Trackbar for 4" and higher lift (works fine). On the front you could easily put in a 2" spacer since the coils unseat that far at max flex. Don't think it will effect rear flex, since the shocks max out before the coils unseat.

Ron

·
Registered
76 Posts
WrathOfRubicon said:
This should be interesting, to get opinions on here....
Talking about the Superflex kits here.

Has there ever been a head to head RTI of these two systems??

There are a couple of places quoting me the mid $500's on the RE 3.5" Superflex Kit, seems a killer price for all you get.

But, I really would love some opinions on which one is better, and how much better is it than the other one.

Wrath,

I have the RE 4.5 Superflex on one Rubicon and the 4" Tera Flex kit on the other.

Both jeeps have the exact same equipment. They both have 1" body lifts, 1" spring spacers, wilderness bumpers, Kilby OBA, 15x35x12.50 Super Swamper SSR's, PIAA lights and Warn winches.

I had a Tera 3" kit on my 99 Sport. I ran 15x33x10.50's and was really impressed with the kit. Jeep flexed well and rode great.

I went with the RE on the Ruby #1, back to Tera on Ruby #2.

I'm not that impressed with the RE. The Johnny joints are noisy compared to the Tera. I also have bolt sleeves that are frooze up already (2k miles). I can't get the bolts out to adjust the pinion angle.

I have the Tera adjustable track bars on the rear of both. I have the RE extreme duty adjustable front track bar on both.

The RE extreme duty track bar hits the front diff on both of my jeeps. I called RE and (after transfering me to 6 people) the guy I needed to talk to was on vacation. Still waiting for the return call (5 months).

I personally like the ride of the Tera better.

The RE outflexed the Tera on the ramp.

I purchased the Tera shocks that fit both the 3 and 4 inch kits. They are too short and limited my flex. I purchased some new longer shocks and think that will even the score on the ramp.

My wife likes the RE Rubicon ride better (D-Tech shocks) but likes the way mine drives better.

Bottom line: Personal preference, you will here good and bad about both.

Tim

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.. Lots a great stuff there!!!!! I did place an order for the RE 4.5" Kit with 3.5" kit Coils sub'd in.. I went and did spring creek today, and actually, got to have a detailed look at the same exact setup on an 00 Wrangler. man did it flex great on the trail. Seems a good bargain way to get from 6" to 6.5" of lift total withut breaking the bank to bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts