Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

It's been a while since I've logged on and I see you guys are doing some pretty exciting stuff with your rigs. Well, since I'm in town for a while I've decided its high time to give my bone stock Rubi some long overdue attention (okay, granted, complaining about a "bone stock" Rubi is like complaining that your nice thick Ruth's Chris filet didn't come with fries). Anyhoo, I've just picked up my OME suspension (~2.5") and, thanks to some tips here and from others, I decided to get the Tera rear adjustable track bar instead of using the relocater brackets that came with the OME kit.

So, here are my questions:

1) Does anyone have any tips about how much or little to adjust the track bar right off the bat for a 2.5" lift? The bar I bought came with zilch in the way of instructions.

2) What has been your experience with the front after the lift? Is there a need for another adjustable track bar on the front? I know the ARB guys say you can drill a hole in the front bar and relocate it but I'm thinking that sounds a little too much like a duct tape and bailing wire fix.

3) I've heard the Tera front bars don't hold up as well so, if I need a front track bar what kind do you suggest?

4) The guys at ARB say I can get away without the t-case drop down on the manual tranny. Is anyone else running this without vibes?

Thanks guys. This forum has been invaluable.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can answer question 2-4 for you. I ran the OME kit in my Rubi, and installed the same kits on 2 others. Oh don't expect to get 2.5" out of the OME. Heights typically run between 1.5 to 2 with the OME shocks. With high pressure gas shocks you may get some additional lift. The stock shocks provide about 1/2" of lift to the Rubi.

Question 2.
On the 3 installs I did the front axle was only off by 1/4". If you were to adjust the front axle, you would only extend the track bar 1/8" to recenter the axle. Not enough to make a difference. Just remember don't measure to the body, since it can be off center on the frame. Measure to the Frame.

Question 3.
If you are going to put in a do a front adjustable trackbar then go with either the JKS/OGS/Currie front trackbar. Same bar. Has a greaseable Johny joint on the frame side, and a stock bushing on the axle side. Really solid unit.

Question 4.
My 3 installs. No t-case drop.
Manual + MML = No vibes
Manual + MML = No vibes
Auto = No vibes

I am amazed that we didn't have any vibes on the Auto, but it does sit nose high in preps for a bulletproof bumper and winch.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the answers Ron!

If it is 1/4" off center, I'm the kind of guy who will drop 2 bills in a heart beat just to make up for it. But I've heard the adjustable t-bars are pretty nice to have anyway.

One question, did you do, or have you seen, a lift on a manual without a MML? I'm not planning on doing anything for the motor mounts and I was wondering if I would have any problems. One ARB guy said I should do a MML an anoter said it wouldn't make a difference so I guess I'm looking for best of three.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't seen it on a Manual with no MML, sorry. Anyone else out there that can help with this question? The adj. trackbars are nice, though. So it would really be up to you. Your's would be pretty easy, line it up with stock and then probably about 1 turn out to recenter the axle.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PBR Stitch said:
I haven't seen it on a Manual with no MML, sorry. Anyone else out there that can help with this question? The adj. trackbars are nice, though. So it would really be up to you. Your's would be pretty easy, line it up with stock and then probably about 1 turn out to recenter the axle.

Ron
That's exactly what I needed to know. Is that front, rear, or both?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opps, Sorry about that. 1 turn should center the front axle. The rear, I don't know. If someone with an OME kit (Stevo?) could run out and measure from the stock rear trackbar frame bolt to the stock location on the axle that should give a good measurement of the ballpark distance between eyes on the trackbar. Remember every Jeep is different, so yours maybe different when you do it. With the OME bracket installed the rear axles are fairly centered, by that I mean close enough to factory position.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts